DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
Really, I think the opposite, will defiantly buy again.
They may be slow, but its been an amazing conclusion.

That's good then :) everyone is happy.

To me, brand loyalty is a big thing, if a company lets me down it completely puts me off.

However if a company provides me good customer service, I shop with them time and time again (assuming the product is also up to scratch)

And yes, the conclusion is VERY good, product is good, I couldn't be happier with it. It's just a huge shame took so long and so much frustration to get to the conclusion.

Associate
OP
I wonder what MSI's excuse will be for not getting in touch today?

@Neo2016 did you get the notebook you agreed with MSI for the trade in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I didn't get the original one, I got an upgraded one, as they ran out of stock
of the computer they where supposed to send out. So its not bad for £290.
This computer costs more than the one I original bought.

I should have had a 1080GTX 256 SSD 16GB Memory and 6820HK.

Instead I got a a 1080GTX 512 SSD 32GB Memory and 7820HK.

The computer is amazing except for a couple of small things, it looks like the bezel on the monitor is a bit loose and isn't sticking
to the screen properly and before I picked up the laptop and the base became loose, until I snapped it back into place.

But I`m happy with it, its a pretty decent computer.

Associate
OP
Cool. So you got an upgraded model. Someone else in the trade-in got a GT83VR w/1080's upgraded from 1070's. @tropicola got an upgrade because MSI sent him a flakey machine to start with.

And I'm still waiting for MSI UK Notebook manager to even reply to my emails.

FFS.

Associate
well MSI have done an amazing job. they left me in the dark about this but it was a nice surprise my GT83 Turned up today and not only did they upgrade me to 7th gen they upgraded me to the 7RF so i now have 1080 sli and 64gb ram instead of 1070 sli 32gb ram.... i must have stared at the box in disbelief for about 30 mins.

Associate
OP
That's interesting, so they offered you 9S7-181512-013 which according to MSI, SRP is £3,099 - There are more than 10 of these in UK distribution that they could have sent. So they made a deliberate decision to upgrade you to 9S7-181542-207 with an SRP of £4,499.

I wonder what was exceptional in your case that that they decided to gift you an additional £1,400 worth of tech over and above the value of your deal?

Great deal for you though mate, nice result.

Associate
That's interesting, so they offered you 9S7-181512-013 which according to MSI, SRP is £3,099 - There are more than 10 of these in UK distribution that they could have sent. So they made a deliberate decision to upgrade you to 9S7-181542-207 with an SRP of £4,499.

I wonder what was exceptional in your case that that they decided to gift you an additional £1,400 worth of tech over and above the value of your deal?

Great deal for you though mate, nice result.

Literally haven't got the slightest clue. didn't even get an email telling me i've been upgraded. couldn't believe my eyes when i saw the label.

Associate
I didn't get the original one, I got an upgraded one, as they ran out of stock
of the computer they where supposed to send out. So its not bad for £290.
This computer costs more than the one I original bought.

I should have had a 1080GTX 256 SSD 16GB Memory and 6820HK.

Instead I got a a 1080GTX 512 SSD 32GB Memory and 7820HK.

The computer is amazing except for a couple of small things, it looks like the bezel on the monitor is a bit loose and isn't sticking
to the screen properly and before I picked up the laptop and the base became loose, until I snapped it back into place.

But I`m happy with it, its a pretty decent computer.

yea i noticed that

"I picked up the laptop and the base became loose, until I snapped it back into place."

mind did the same thing, bezel is fine but it looked like the base had been opened or something as i had to click it back in place (the laptop box did look like it had been dropped tho...)

some updates appear to have been done, so idk if they checked them out preshipment or refurbs either way, its working and im happy :D

Associate
OP
yea i noticed that

"I picked up the laptop and the base became loose, until I snapped it back into place."

mind did the same thing, bezel is fine but it looked like the base had been opened or something as i had to click it back in place (the laptop box did look like it had been dropped tho...)

some updates appear to have been done, so idk if they checked them out preshipment or refurbs either way, its working and im happy :D

Open a command prompt and type systeminfo.exe

Look for Original Install Date: check what date is there? If it's a 7 series CPU, I can't see it being a refurb but worth a look.

Associate
Open a command prompt and type systeminfo.exe

Look for Original Install Date: check what date is there? If it's a 7 series CPU, I can't see it being a refurb but worth a look.

I would agree there is no way it will be a refurb as its only been out for 4-5 weeks and i had one of the first ones out if not the first one . just watch out for windows updates , blooming thing updates the GPU drivers on the sli in background and didnt know this until i started benching a few days ago then i just upgraded to Nvidia latest at the time 378.49 , think new ones is 378.66 . keeping the 378.49 at the moment as im getting better frames than the latest drivers .

Associate
yea i noticed that

The bezel is fine now just needed to be snapped into place, looks like they might of been in a rush and just didn't put things in place properly.
Not had any issues with the laptop, everything is fine, except the power port is annoying, it slips out so easy and the power pack is a lot bigger than my dragon laptop.
Still not had time to play VR to see if the speeds are any better, but Ill get round to it eventually.

Associate
The bezel is fine now just needed to be snapped into place, looks like they might of been in a rush and just didn't put things in place properly.
Not had any issues with the laptop, everything is fine, except the power port is annoying, it slips out so easy and the power pack is a lot bigger than my dragon laptop.
Still not had time to play VR to see if the speeds are any better, but Ill get round to it eventually.
I argee with the power port it sucks, was doing battery calibration and it slip out didn't noice till morning took 2 hours to do it again

Last edited:
Associate
MSI poland received my laptop on friday morning, got an email yesterday saying the covers are broken and sent pics, also saying that sales will inform me of next step. i called up sales asked for natalie, shes off for a couple of days, Andrew Neil talked with me on the phone he sent an email yesterday asking what they want to do next, still haven't heard anything back, i need to just be a little patient, i atleast have my old laptop i can use for the moment, i had to reinstall windows to get it running smooth again.

I hope everyone who got their new beasts are enjoying them.

question for those did get the new laptops, did they come with any type of bundles? free games, headphones etc?

Associate
OP
MSI poland received my laptop on friday morning, got an email yesterday saying the covers are broken and sent pics, also saying that sales will inform me of next step. i called up sales asked for natalie, shes off for a couple of days, Andrew Neil talked with me on the phone he sent an email yesterday asking what they want to do next, still haven't heard anything back, i need to just be a little patient, i atleast have my old laptop i can use for the moment, i had to reinstall windows to get it running smooth again.

I hope everyone who got their new beasts are enjoying them.

question for those did get the new laptops, did they come with any type of bundles? free games, headphones etc?

Was the damage there when you sent in the laptop?

What has MSI UK Notebook said in regards to cost?

@Neo2016, who else got an upgrade they were not expecting? So a different model to the one on their trade-in agreement?

Associate
Was the damage there when you sent in the laptop?

What has MSI UK Notebook said in regards to cost?

to be honest i dont know, i never noticed the damage before, and i had taken the laptop apart before shipping it to swap the hard drives, and i dusted the inside, never noticed damage, might have been the shipping?

either way MSI still hasn't given me any info for the next step, iv called in each day so far for an update on what to do next, first contacted Andrew Neil, he sent a couple of emails asking for an update, no reply, then called Andrew again yesterday he sent another email, received a reply at 15:08 saying "Now end user will receive an email from uknotebook regarding mxm upgrade procedure soon, from service side, all procedure has been done."

I still haven't received an update, i called in spoke to Natalie, she asked me to forward the email to her, i did, but still no info, i know Natalie will need time, but ive been waiting 48 hours just to get info for the next step, this is ridiculous. The only reason I asked Andrew Neil for help was because Natalie was away for a couple of days and i didn't think waiting 2 days just for someone on sales to give me a price or info for the next step was necessary.... i just want to get the new laptop asap my girlfriends laptop died a few days ago, our son spilled juice on it, mother board is toasted, i told her she can have my current/old laptop when i get the new 1, my old laptop sony vaio i3 2nd gen intel graphics, i got for work, reasons at the time, mostly because of the wifi card because it supported packet injections, and it was helpful in saving time when using backtrack pen testing.

@Neo2016, who else got an upgrade they were not expecting? So a different model to the one on their trade-in agreement?

did you get your new laptop yet?

Associate
OP
did you get your new laptop yet?

Not yet. I'm waiting until close of business today for MSI to present a reasonable offer.

We've agreed on a model and a price, sticking point is a 5 week lead time from NL. When other people involved in the trade-in program have received their upgrades from UK distribution in a couple of days.

At present there is stock of the agreed model in the UK distribution channel. MSI claim they are reserved for retailers. The alternative is a different model, and I am not willing to receive a lower specced model. So Neil@MSI is looking to resolve this today.

Associate
Not yet. I'm waiting until close of business today for MSI to present a reasonable offer.

We've agreed on a model and a price, sticking point is a 5 week lead time from NL. When other people involved in the trade-in program have received their upgrades from UK distribution in a couple of days.

At present there is stock of the agreed model in the UK distribution channel. MSI claim they are reserved for retailers. The alternative is a different model, and I am not willing to receive a lower specced model. So Neil@MSI is looking to resolve this today.

Goodluck hope you get a good deal, im only worried about 1 thing for the new laptop, its about the speakers, ive read MSI moved them to the bottom of the laptop, i wonder how it will sound.

Associate
Goodluck hope you get a good deal, im only worried about 1 thing for the new laptop, its about the speakers, ive read MSI moved them to the bottom of the laptop, i wonder how it will sound.

fyi both my laptops arrived from NL... who got them from the UK?

Also, speakers wise... they sound a bit worse than before however on a hard table is still decent. I prefer this personally as there was always little bits and dust getting sucked into the speaker bits on the top after 2 years it became very hard to clean even with compressed air without taking the laptop apart. they also got rid of all those little holes on the top that collected dust.

However saying that, what respectable gamer doesn't have a decent headset or sound system ? :p laptop speakers are always going to be poor due to size/space limitations. Only laptop I had with decent bass/quality was a Dell XPS with JBL audio subwoofer/speakers it was LOUD and decent quality with a nice amount of Bass compared to the bee in a tin can speakers on most laptops I've tried, even a 2.5k mac has poor speakers imo....

Back
Top Bottom