MSI OC Academy UK Tour - Cambridge

Caporegime
To have an event over here would be fantastic guys, sadly i dont know of any venue that could deal with the requirements. Rest assured ill be eagerly tuning into the streams from the upcoming weekend in cambridge. Seen shots from the last time some of the guys from MLG met up to do a spot of benching. It looked like a great few days out, lots of gaming and benching with LN2 and a few beers into the bargain. Hopefully Ian and the rest of you will hit a few nice scores over the course of the weekend, and well done to viz for organising things. Top guy on the MLG forums, and hopefully see you posting on here more often mate.:)

Associate
OP
Good morning all.

There has been a slight change to the event.

This is why - the building next door has been declared unsafe due to a fire. The Boathouse will be closing for health and safety reasons while structural repairs are carried out next door.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-31886312

Nothing to worry about. All it means is those who are coming by Train you do not need a taxi. The new venue is

The Grain Store in Cambridge
http://www.grainstore-cambridge.co.uk

The beers that where available yesterday - I have enquired and can confirm that there will be darker or more traditional ales on the pumps. But they have 6 pumps not counting the craft ales downstairs so we will be spoilt for choice.

Below are two vids of the venue we are moving too, the one is just the bar area. :cool:

https://youtu.be/gBrIfYD1OYg

https://youtu.be/rnSagRXE4O8

hvL6Yl.jpg

gmc1aj.jpg

WltINf.jpg

Associate
Wow mate you can really make things happen, to organise then reorganise is nothing short of amazing.

Hats off to you Hivizman and thank you so much for saving this great event by reorganising so quickly I owe you a pint of your finest for my gratitude.;)

Associate
OP
Right with regard to hardware those folks who are experienced and have a favourite pot, their own thermometer, flasks that you like, and so forth bring them along by all means as you know your pots behaviours and will make the event more enjoyable for you. Plus it is always handy to have extras.

Now everyone else you do not need to bring a thing. Not one thing, it will all be provided for you.

That includes all CPU pots, and what ever other put you may need. Insulation of all sorts, eraser, LET, armaflex tape or foam. The works.
Flasks, thermometers, K probes and tools. All will be provided.

The event will provide opportunity to free bench for the experienced guys as much as they like on the Friday - remember that is an open session day and optional. The actual event starts proper on the Saturday and there is a mix of planned or organised events with again provision for those who want to only free bench to do so. Of course we would like as many that can to participate in the organised benching sessions.

Starting promptly at 9am is the LN2 and Sub Zero benching course. This will continue until lunch time when we will break for a meal and the morning course participants will join up with the others to get right into some team benching on the X99 platform.

While the course is running, which will be streamed, and recorded for a upload after the event has completed, those folks who have years of Ln2 experience will have the opportunity to participate in a series of death match like contests. What that means is one v one benching. Pretty much like a tennis match winner takes all. Winner gets 5 points for the win. A target will be set for the benchmark and if achieved 3 points are awarded even if you do not win your bout, get past the calculation line and you get points - winners get the extra two points that make up the five in total for the win. ;)

Each bout will need to be completed in one hour. :shock:

Hardware will be randomly drawn and the viewers will decide what the bench is and what the calculation line (target) will be for each round. There will be a lucky looser that goes into the next round. The bencher with the best % over the calculation line will get to bench further. So if the calculation line is 50 000 points in Vantage and there are scores of 52000. 52500 and 53000 the obviously the bencher with 5300 proceeds.

The guys who are on the course and join in the afternoon will bench their first round in the afternoon session. You will be plucked from your X99 team and take part in the bout.

This an example of what I am talking about for the singles death match.

tKoqH8.jpg

Points will be awarded to each team, these points go onto the tally of the individual bencher's in that team. So one team could have 5 people, and win the session. That means each of the team members gets 10 points added to their individual tally. Second place is 7 and third place is 5 points. At the end of the MSI Academy weekend the bencher with the highest points score will be crowned the event winner and a CPU and some other goodies will be yours. :p

There are three sessions of team benching. The viewers will have a large say in what is benched and what the restrictions if any there will be. So make sure your mates are on-line to vote what they want to see benched. In fact the viewers are going to be actively involved with the entire days proceedings and will be able to win some great prizes and have fun with those of us lucky enough to be at the event in person.

The winner of the singles death match will be decided in a final bout on the Sunday.

The final program will be circulated closer to the event date.

Climbs on soapbox.

I will be contacting each bencher to find out if they will be joining the organised sessions or not. These organised sessions are going to be a whole lot of fun I can promise you. Benching with mates is more fun than just sitting there doing your own thing alone. Now I fully accept that not all want to play with others but I strongly urge you to give it a go. This MSI OC Academy event is going to be a bit of a ground breaker in a number of different ways. I would like those who are going to be present to be part of what we are trying to achieve and help TeamGB and MSI develop the sport more. If this works as we expect it to work there will be many more opportunities for bigger and better events in the month and years to come. And guys, you will have the opportunity to say "Yeah I was there when it first happened."

Jumps down and hopes folks got this far in what is a very wordy post. :oops:

Some more pictures of the venue.

PhcbOh.jpg

c61YEB.jpg

7sj4GA.jpg

fISLqX.jpg

FVTbZZ.jpg

su4hmj.jpg

g0LKZL.jpg

XNf2DP.jpg

9DIn6U.jpg

w72Kam.jpg

A9kfnW.jpg

3UJ3JT.jpg

TOCpQM.jpg

vImxaF.jpg

yWYRWj.jpg

l7nkyk.jpg

fy1BwC.jpg

klEfTD.jpg

FNabdi.jpg

zvfn61.jpg

Associate
OP
wow that is quite complicated.

Nah it is easy peasy, you just have fun while at the event and let me and my management team sweat the details. It might seem complex when seen for the first time but it is really quite straight forward. :D

The guys benching just need to bench and enjoy.

Associate
OP
One of the most common questions I get emailed before events is 'what do I needs to bring?'

OK here is the list it is aimed at the guys who bench quite often and have their own kit and will be taking part in the organised events. If you do not have your own kit do not worry there is plenty to go round. Some of the stuff like USB stick is a must however - especially if you are going to set a PB and want to keep a memento of the session. :ugeek:

I Bench Often - Bring List

CPU pot - A known or favourite CPU pot could make all the difference when benching, you will be welcome to use your own.
VGA pot - again if you have one and want to bring it do so please.
Thermometer and K-Type probe, if you are using your own pot or if you have one bring it.
Your Ln2 flasks, there will be 12 available at the meet that TeamGB is providing - more is better of course.
Blowtorch or heat gun, there will be 4 provided but can you ever have to many? I like to use hair-dryers as they work really well and do not liquefy the soldier like heat guns can.
USB Stick with all the OC tools you use for benching.
Video Card drivers (nVidea) of preference might be a good idea if you are picky about that sort of thing. Remember you are benching to a time limit so downloading from the web will hold you back. :o

For the 'I will be benching my own hardware' guys go have a read of TopDogs post which I have pasted below that is pretty much the comprehensive list of stuff you will need to bring.

There will be some monitors, mouse and keyboards as well as PSU's available for your use. However you will need to bring your own hard drives, SSD and all other components that you are wanting to bench with.

There will be TeamGB hardware available of course but the organised events take precedence.

topdog said:
Here's a list that was made a few years ago which might help those suffering from dementia ;)

I thought I'd put together a list of recommended items to bring for those people who are interested in benching at an LN2 event.
For those of you who are already accustomed to extreme cooling I'm sure you already know what to bring, but this can still serve as a reminder, and for those of you who are new to extreme cooling this can be a good place to start.

Lets start with the obvious:

•CPU / GPU pot
•Thermal paste (something that doesn't freeze, like GC Extreme or Ceramique)
•Thermometer with k-type probes (usually not required for AMD benching)
•Thermos Flasks (three thermoses / person is usually a good number, but you can get away with using two)

Insulation:

•LET (liquid electrical tape)
•Artist Eraser
•Neoprene
•Armaflex / Frost King
•Painters Tape
•Paper Towels
•Vaseline

You certainly don't need to use all of the insulation that I listed, those are just some of the most commonly used forms of insulation.

Other:

•Digital Multi Meter (very useful for monitoring voltages, especially on volt-modded GPU's)
•Torch / heat gun
•Soldering Iron (for those who are using volt-modded GPU's)
•Pliers and Screwdrivers
•Duct Tape
•Hex keys / Torx
•Adapters (SATA / molex)
•Power cords (PSU/Monitor)

More useful tips:

1: Know your hardware
Get to know your bios, your vmods, overclocking limits, ram timings, etc before you go

2: Have your installs prepared ready.
Have a fresh install of all the Operating Systems you are going to use ready on your disks, with drivers and benching software ready to go.
Backup installs are always a good idea,in case of corruption for those with extra hdd's available

3: Insulate your motherboard/s and gfx cards
Get your motherboards and cards ready in advance, this will save a lot of precious time during the event

4: Plan your bench session in advance.
Know what benchmarks you will run and in what order and prepare accordingly, e.g. Go for highest CPU frequency first and get to know your CB/CBB limit, then move on to Spi 1m, Pifast, Wprime 32m etc and prioritise the benches that are important to you,and those that will be of greatest advantage to you and the team.

5: Backup your hardware
If possible bring some backup motherboards and CPUs with you to the event incase the worst happens, you dont want to be stuck with dead components with a plentiful supply of LN2 available to play with.

If anyone has any more suggestions, feel free to speak up.

Er I have not really benched Ln2 before - List of stuff to bring.

USB stick.
An open mind and a willingness to have fun.

That is about it pretty much. All the hardware stuff will be provided for you so you can just relax and enjoy Ln2 benching and learning from some of the top bencher's in the world, and UK.

TeamGB

Associate
OP
MSI OCA Death Match Competition - Pick6 and win

03lIvb.png

TeamGB and MSI present the MSI OC Academy UK Tour

obR0iA.png

The Grain Store, Regent Terrace, Cambridge CB2 1AA

Spectators welcome no entry charge – good beer and food with great benching.
Saturday 18th April, 9am till 5pm.
Sunday 19th April, 9am till 4pm

Death Match Bouts Starting Times
• 09:15 Match # 1 topdog v ObscureParadox
• 10:45 Match #2 Massman v nickolp1974
• 11:00 Match #5 rbby258 v gavbon
• 12:15 Match #3 kimandsally v bulldog238 start
• 12:30 Match #4 jumper118 v OverFiend start
• 14:00 Match #6 kitfit1 v Huddy start
Predict and Win Competition
Predict the correct outcome of all six of the first round singles death matches at the MSI OC Academy event and win an AverMedia LGP Device.

qkaKLv.jpg

#1 topdog v ObscureParadox
#2 kimandsally v bulldog238
#3 Massman v nickolp1974
#4 jumper118 v overfiend
#5 rbby258 v gavbon
#6 kitfit1 v Huddy

Official Competition Link - SUBMIT HERE

Terms & Conditions
Closing date and time for submissions - Saturday 18th April 09:00 UK time (GMT +1).
Only entries submitted via the official link will be considered.
In the event of a tie all correct submissions will go into a lucky draw.
If there are no correct submissions the prize will be carried over to the next round and a lucky draw prize selected from the best submissions.

This event would not be possible without the generous support of the following hardware providers.
MSI, Intel, GSkill, CoolerMaster, Plextor, Dimastech

03lIvb.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom