MSI prestige x570 creation does not start

Associate
please help, I hope it is me being dumb and not the MB broken but I have a strange issued
Purchased this from Overclockers 4 days ago, set it all up and started it from the start button on the MB. Initially worked like a dream , booted up , recognised all components, Windows installed ..etc
Full of joy and enthusiasm I finish the installation, adding the front control panel connections , you know HDD led, Power Sw, Reset Sw (not my first time I am building a computer , I know this can be fiddly so check and double check the manual..etc)
Now here is the problem the - computer does not start, nothing, The Start button on the MB lights up and that is it. There is 1 sec of spin in the fans then everything dies. Of course I try and reset the front panel switches, double and triple check them nothing.
I have disconnected front panel switches from the MB, thinking there must be a problem with my case / switches- nothing Computer does not start even if I try to start from the MB own Start button
Of course tried to see if the power source suddenly died- unlikely but yeah , check everything- used a different power switch - the same happened, lights up the Start button but it does not start

I think this MB is broken and I would like a new one unless someone points out what I am doing wrong. What are my options here, It is a brand new MB I do not want it to be repaired/ checked ... I want a new one working

Soldato
It is a brand new MB I do not want it to be repaired/ checked ... I want a new one working

You have 14 days to reject goods for full refund.

Given you just bought it 4 days ago, maybe give it a day or two, see if anyone offers a suggestion which solves the issue without you having to reject it.

What cooler are you using? And have you tried building it (only the essentials) outside of the case? i.e. Mobo on mobo box, 24-pin and 8-pin connected, RAM.

Any debug LEDs or CPU/RAM etc error light somewhere on the board?

Soldato
please help, I hope it is me being dumb and not the MB broken but I have a strange issued
Purchased this from Overclockers 4 days ago, set it all up and started it from the start button on the MB. Initially worked like a dream , booted up , recognised all components, Windows installed ..etc
Full of joy and enthusiasm I finish the installation, adding the front control panel connections , you know HDD led, Power Sw, Reset Sw (not my first time I am building a computer , I know this can be fiddly so check and double check the manual..etc)
Now here is the problem the - computer does not start, nothing, The Start button on the MB lights up and that is it. There is 1 sec of spin in the fans then everything dies. Of course I try and reset the front panel switches, double and triple check them nothing.
I have disconnected front panel switches from the MB, thinking there must be a problem with my case / switches- nothing Computer does not start even if I try to start from the MB own Start button
Of course tried to see if the power source suddenly died- unlikely but yeah , check everything- used a different power switch - the same happened, lights up the Start button but it does not start

I think this MB is broken and I would like a new one unless someone points out what I am doing wrong. What are my options here, It is a brand new MB I do not want it to be repaired/ checked ... I want a new one working

Normally 1 second of fans spining and nothing else happening shows a short somewhere, do as @Danny75 suggested and take the board out of the case, build it on the box, Motherboard, CPU, Ram, GPU and PSU only, if it starts then, id be looking at your case, maybe a stand-off in the wrong place, or a fan connection or something similar shorting/faulty/bear wire, add one thing at a time until you reach the same problem again then you'll know whats causing it.

If it doesnt start outside of the case with minimal components, then get the board changed.

I had a similar problem once, one day working fine, the next day just the fans spining for 1 second, turned out to be an Aerocool Spot Cooler causing the problem, pulled it out of the system and it was all working fine after that.

Associate
OP
Jamin & Danny75.. thank you. You are correct. There was a short from the case.. how stupid of me, I have connected the USB charging port from the case to the power source the other way around... source kept detecting a problem and turned itself down to prevent further damage..
Works very well now ..

Soldato
Good news then.

I had a similar problem once, one day working fine, the next day just the fans spining for 1 second, turned out to be an Aerocool Spot Cooler causing the problem, pulled it out of the system and it was all working fine after that.

I had a very tricky short with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 cooler on an ITX board once. The system would sometimes not start up or it'd be fine for weeks then shut down. The culprit was part of the metal edge of the cooler's mounting plate touching some raised up soldering on the back of the motherboard. The mounting plates even had special material (with a green surface) to prevent that, but only on the bottom of the metal. They didn't think to add it a little higher up too, or use more plastic instead of metal, to prevent such an issue from occurring. I bent the plate slightly with some pliers so it wouldn't make contact with the soldering and all was good after that.

Back
Top Bottom