• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI R9 290 / 290x gaming edition - powertune throttling the core clock discussion...

So just got my 2 MSI 290x's and this is unacceptable, how do I stop the constant up's and down's in GPU usage?

No OC's yet just running standard 1030 core

EDIT: Or is the GPU meant to go up and down during benching? Clocks speeds are nice and flat...

It's a bug in the software like msi Afterburner with the new r9 series. Everything is working fine, make sure you have latest version Ab installed will help with readings better.

So just got my 2 MSI 290x's and this is unacceptable, how do I stop the constant up's and down's in GPU usage?

No OC's yet just running standard 1030 core

EDIT: Or is the GPU meant to go up and down during benching? Clocks speeds are nice and flat...

We're talking about clock speeds here, GPU usage is expected to fluctuate. This problem anyway does not affect crossfire.

Oh that told me then :-)

I can see the pauses in the FPS every now and again though, especially when playing BF4, constant split second pauses in benching too, any ideas?

Heaven score 2600
Firestrike extreme 8550k
Stock clocks, look about right? seems a bit slow to me.

Last edited:
What annoys me is I had an msi 290x gaming that had lower clocks than my new pcs+290x, but it legitimately had 4-6% frames over the newer card in everything I benched. They were both 290x's but clearly something was different.

What annoys me is I had an msi 290x gaming that had lower clocks than my new pcs+290x, but it legitimately had 4-6% frames over the newer card in everything I benched. They were both 290x's but clearly something was different.

Its a known problem with PCS cards, they have a bios fix for it, you need to contact them for the new bios.

HI not sure if im suffering from this, i have a 290 PCS+

Using gpu-z to monitor running valley core clock stays at 1040,(stock no overclocking)

however if use sapphire trixx set

core 1120
mem 1400
VDDC offset 100
power limit +50

my core fluctuates from 1120-1020

my temperatures don't go above 65

would the fix using msi afterburner work for me here?

HI not sure if im suffering from this, i have a 290 PCS+

Using gpu-z to monitor running valley core clock stays at 1040,(stock no overclocking)

however if use sapphire trixx set

core 1120
mem 1400
VDDC offset 100
power limit +50

my core fluctuates from 1120-1020

my temperatures don't go above 65

would the fix using msi afterburner work for me here?

Which drivers are you using?

Hi matt, the latest beta but does the same with 13.12 to

That's odd, 13.12 does not have the powertune bug. Maybe the card does need a bios update. Try this first though.

Try this for a fix for the clock dropping. No need to use unofficial overclocking method either so clocks will drop to 2d levels as normal.

1. Download RadeoPro - http://www.radeonpro.info/2013/11/new-build-with-support-for-amd-radeon-r-series/

2. Create a profile using the game exe.

3. Click the profile tab, then the overdrive tab. Click the padlock to unlock overdrive, click enable graphics overdrive, the click 'always use highest performance clocks while gaming'. Don't forget to set +50% power tune in RP. Apply clocks and voltage settings through afterburner first. Now right click the game profile shortcut on the left and select apply then launch the game.

Hi all.. Matt, that RadeonPro fix, saved me !!!! Thanks a lot ;)

Have a Sapphire R9-290 Tri-X OC (stock) and had an issue with diablo3..
(When I start the game for the first time, the game hangs in the first 3-5seconds.. It gets minimized on taskbar and I can only close it through task manager. It states "apphangB1". Now, if I re-launch the game, everything is fine, and I can play for hours. This happens with both catalyst 14.3 beta and official catalyst 13.12..)

But after using Matt's fix, everything runs fine, no hangs.. Its the powertune/powerlimit bug right?

Hi all.. Matt, that RadeonPro fix, saved me !!!! Thanks a lot ;)

Have a Sapphire R9-290 Tri-X OC (stock) and had an issue with diablo3..
(When I start the game for the first time, the game hangs in the first 3-5seconds.. It gets minimized on taskbar and I can only close it through task manager. It states "apphangB1". Now, if I re-launch the game, everything is fine, and I can play for hours. This happens with both catalyst 14.3 beta and official catalyst 13.12..)

But after using Matt's fix, everything runs fine, no hangs.. Its the powertune/powerlimit bug right?

Correct and you'll be pleased to know that 14.4 Beta drivers are out (unofficially at least) and its fixed the powertune bug so no more clocks dropping when overclocked and overvolted. Drivers can be downloaded from the link below.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=388217

My over 1yr old MSI R9 290 Gaming OC can undervolt orite. Here are as far and thoroughly stable it is using MSI Afterburner.

Stock clocks/stock volts - shoots to 1.137v max

Now with regards to what underclocking I can do whilst overclocking heavily
Stock clocks -31v
1110/1400 -12v - 1.109v max apparently.
1102/1400 -19v
1126/1427 -0v

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom