• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Msi rx 480 only working when underclocked

k3v

k3v

Associate
I've just swapped my computer into a new case and since then the when playing a game, the graphics card makes a crackling/static sound which pulses in time with the game stuttering.
Trying 3dmark just crashes the computer.
I've underclocked the gpu and this makes 3dmark run.

Does this mean that the graphics card is on its last legs?

Tia

Associate
It could be that the thermal paste on the GPU chip has dried up and needs replacing. Enable the AMD stats to see if the GPU is getting to a high temp. The other thing I would check is that your fans are coming on, on the card itself.

k3v

k3v

Associate
OP
Thanks for the infk, the graphics card doesn't go above 55c when the stuttering in game occurs.
The card is in an itx case, I a can't see them but they are spinning.

Man of Honour
Is the power connector firmly in place? Maybe try another power connector if you have more than one? Have you tried re-seating the graphics card?

Did you put other cards (e.g. soundcard) in the same place as before on the motherboard?

Are you using the same drivers as worked before or did you download the new ones?

k3v

k3v

Associate
OP
I did swap the power connector for another one and did try reseating the card, I don't have a sound card either.

The drivers may be different as what I should have said in the first post was that I used windows restore to wipe my files/programs off it as I'm giving it away to someone. The current drivers are the latest ones downloaded earlier today.

Man of Honour
I'd suggest downloading an older version like 19.11.3 (this one works fine for me), the 2020 versions don't seem to play nice with older cards, or the newer ones for that matter. There's been a lot of RX users who have problems fixed by reverting to older 2019 drivers.

Since you did a system restore I'd consider trying a fresh install, could have borked your other drivers like chipset, sound, etc.

k3v

k3v

Associate
OP
I'd suggest downloading an older version like 19.11.3 (this one works fine for me), the 2020 versions don't seem to play nice with older cards, or the newer ones for that matter. There's been a lot of RX users who have problems fixed by reverting to older 2019 drivers.

Since you did a system restore I'd consider trying a fresh install, could have borked your other drivers like chipset, sound, etc.

Thanks, ill give that a try.

Associate
could it be that your psu is starting to die?

I had a 8 yr old PC (with a quad core phenom that was getting better with age as more software was using more than 2 threads) which had several HDD's in it.

It then started having problems booting. If I took a HDD out and tested it on another pc then it was fine and the HDD was fine. I tested all 3 or 4 HDD's and they all seemed fine individually and were all fine in the original PC on their own.

So I took one HDD out and the pc was fine for a while. Then it started dying again so I took another HDD out and it was fine for a while. In the end I stupidly thought that the mobo was dying as the problem seemed to be due to the IDE controller connecting to the HDD's - so I bought a new pc.

Now I think that the psu was failing and the amount of power coming from the psu was gradually diminishing to a point where it was not enough.

what psu do you have? and how old is it?

k3v

k3v

Associate
OP
as you say that you have underclocked the graphics and it works that seems that my point about the psu is worth investigating.

Do you have a spare psu that you could swap into the pc?

The psu is must be five or six years old but it's not had much use.... I'm going to swap the drivers over and if that doesn't work I'll try a different psu.

Back
Top Bottom