• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI scalping their own 3080s on ebay, links included [REDDIT]

Caporegime
OMFG have you guys seen this? https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/j6idky/msi_scalping_their_own_3080s_on_ebay_links/ :eek:

As said, MSI is scalping their own 3080s on ebay under the name Starlit Partner. Browsing the Starlit Partner seller reveals that everything they sell is MSI, most (maybe all) new in a box. They have the nerve to say "We work closely with the manufacturer." Because they are literally the manufacturer.

Starlit Partner trademark

Link to 3080 being scalped

A card retailing for 759.00, potentially being sold by the manufacturer on ebay for 1359.00, and they are absolutely selling out of them. There were some available when I started looking into it and now the auction simply says 0 available, 4 sold.

Some are saying that this company is NOT affiliated with MSI, but is an imposter/scammer company. I have reached out to MSI in hopes that they will address this issue.

EDIT: Linus has now reported this to Nvidia (Hat tip to /u/ryandtw)

EDIT 2: Keep it civil, folks. Rude comments and/or comments bringing drama from other subs will be removed.

EDIT 3: Nvidia is investigating this situation

Here ya go OP.

The only smoking gun you need.

Amazon has started putting seller information on their profile page.

https://www.amazon.com/sp?seller=A8AFHGL03OEF2

Business Name: MSI COMPUTER CORP.

Business Address:

901 Canada Court

City of Industry, CA 91748

MSI certainly have a chequered history when it comes to behaving responsibly, multiple TechTubers have called them out for shady practises, but if this is true (and it looks like it may well be) then it's a new low. :eek:

Associate
Look forwards to the videos on this one. I can believe it, it would not surprise me. I already specifically don't buy MSI because of their shady business practices.

Caporegime
OP
Look forwards to the videos on this one. I can believe it, it would not surprise me. I already specifically don't buy MSI because of their shady business practices.
I caved in and bought an MSI mobo during the 'Great Mobo Drought of 2020'... it did kind of hurt inside but prudence and necessity overcame caution.

Associate
I caved in and bought an MSI mobo during the 'Great Mobo Drought of 2020'... it did kind of hurt inside but prudence and necessity overcame caution.

These things happen sometimes sadly, that's why it's always nice to see more competition between these megacorps, helps keep them honest-ish. I'm hoping AMD can put some fear into Nvidia like they have with Intel for the same reason.

Wow wont be buying msi products ever.

Wait and see what comes out, it might not be true but it sure looks bad one way or the other. Either MSI have been caught or they are going to be getting the lawyers on these guys very soon.

Associate
Lol MSI are a horrendous company, im blacklisting them alongside Gigabyte, another manufacturer of inferior products with almost Asus like tax lol.

To be honest i would pretty much only buy EVGA nvidia cards now, for AMD generally Sapphire, Powercolor and XFX are normally pretty good, with Sapphire being the best.

For motherboards if AMD either Asus or Asrock normally for me, and EVGA, Asrock or Asus for Intel.

Soldato
Doesn't look like MSI.
Not hard to find out, different trade mark companies.
Starlit, MSI Computers.
Actual MSI, Micro-star International.

Just someone trying to look legit. Some of you guys sure get angry fast, bet you fall for all that fake news as well.

Associate
Doesn't look like MSI.
Starlit, MSI Computers.

Just someone trying to look legit. Some of you guys sure get angry fast, bet you fall for all that fake news as well.
https://us.msi.com/about/contact-us-select

It is one of their addresses though. You'd think Amazon would verify something like this

Also some very cursory research shows up that MSI Computer was founded in 2000 under the umbrella of Micro-star International, although they seem to be based in Shenzhen so the address doesn't really match up

Caporegime
OP
Doesn't look like MSI.
Starlit, MSI Computers.

Have you actually read the Reddit thread where what you are writing has already been raised and discussed in detail or did you just read the title, skim the content, and then post that?

Man of Honour
Doesn't look like MSI.
Starlit, MSI Computers.

Was scratching my head when reading about it as we deal with an MSI company at work - can't remember the exact name but it is something like MSI Computers - who does a lot of electronics fulfilment, white label and logistics, etc. for computer stuff but isn't the MSI though I think it is affiliated (we get a lot of MSI branded laptops through them).

Soldato
Good on them I say if it is true, why should retailers be the only ones to get to make huge mark ups scalping the general public when they add no value at all, they just take a product made by MSI and then add margin on top, using XYZ as an excuse to go above MSRP.

More manufacturers should just sell direct, then the prices would come down for the end user, well not in this case, since they are making about 7 cards per day. :p

Back
Top Bottom