MSI Tomahawk X570S - problem installing Windows via usb

Associate
Hi all, I recently swapped out my Aorus X370 for the just released MSI Tomahawk X570S with a Ryzen 5 5600x. I've been trying all day to install Windows via a USB key onto a WD SN850 Nvme Drive (PCIe4). I'm using a 16GB USB key that came with my motherboard and have it prepared using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. The installer allows me select my Windows version and target drive, but fails when it starts to copy the installation files over to the nvme drive. It gets to 41% and then spits out error 0x8007025D

Things I've tried:
- CSM mode (the installer worked, but I kept getting BSOD errors when installing software to the drive)
- Disconnecting all existing drives
- Using the BIOS Flash USB port (instead of a random USB port)
- Reflashing the BIOS
- Checking secure boot is disabled (it is by default)
- Using Rufus to create the bootable drive, but same result as above
- Changing PCIe lanes to 4x4x4x4 instead of Auto

Is there anything obvious I'm missing? I'm regretting buying this board already. I'm resigning myself to the fact that I'm going to have to install Windows to my old SSD and hopefully use the nvme drive for my steam account.

Edit #1: Just to add that before I decided to reformat my old SSD with the new mobo in-situ, I let Windows boot and it loaded the desktop without problems. I don't think my old RAM (G.Skill Trident Z 3200 CL16) is the issue....

Edit #2: Just realised I have not installed the M.2 standoff and only used the heatsink standoff. The drive may not be seated properly! I'll update here later this week if this is the case.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thought I would update this after another 2 days of heartache...I reseated the nvme drive and ran a diagnostic from the BIOS which passed ok. However, still no fix for my problem. I tried installing to an ordinary SSD and that resulted in the same installation error. I tried numerous different USB keys with the Windows Media Creation Tool and even got my old DVD burner out, but same thing everytime, installation falls over with 0x8007025D.
I read a suggestion on reddit about removing a stick of RAM, so I removed one stick of my 8gb G.Skill Trident Z modules and viola, it worked! After installing Windows, I re-seated the stick of RAM and now I can't do anything in any browser without it crashing. I ran the Windows memory test and it has detected a hardware fault, so it looks the RAM from my old Intel Z370 build isn't going to play ball (or the very outside chance one of the DIMM sockets in my new mobo is bad). I've bought some new Trident Z Neo RAM (F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC) recommended for Ryzen boards and hopefully that will be the end of the matter.

Caporegime
Thought I would update this after another 2 days of heartache...I reseated the nvme drive and ran a diagnostic from the BIOS which passed ok. However, still no fix for my problem. I tried installing to an ordinary SSD and that resulted in the same installation error. I tried numerous different USB keys with the Windows Media Creation Tool and even got my old DVD burner out, but same thing everytime, installation falls over with 0x8007025D.
I read a suggestion on reddit about removing a stick of RAM, so I removed one stick of my 8gb G.Skill Trident Z modules and viola, it worked! After installing Windows, I re-seated the stick of RAM and now I can't do anything in any browser without it crashing. I ran the Windows memory test and it has detected a hardware fault, so it looks the RAM from my old Intel Z370 build isn't going to play ball (or the very outside chance one of the DIMM sockets in my new mobo is bad). I've bought some new Trident Z Neo RAM (F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC) recommended for Ryzen boards and hopefully that will be the end of the matter.
Glad you got to the bottom of it. Obvious thing would be to try each stick in the single slot and if one stick is faulty then it should show up. Then try each stick singly in the dodgy slot.

Associate
OP
Thanks! I feel even more silly now. After ordering the new RAM, I noticed no XMP profile was set for my old RAM in the BIOS. I set the XMP profile and it worked straight away. I find it very odd that leaving the RAM at stock 2133Mhz would cause these problems. I don't remember any of this faff when setting up my Z370 board..at least the new RAM will run slightly faster and at 3600 vs 3200 and with better timings too.

Associate
I saw on a Youtube video that when setting up a new system it was better not to set XMP before installing windows and leave the BIOS as default until Windows is installed and working, obviously that advice was wrong

Soldato
Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Thought I would update this after another 2 days of heartache...

Glad you got it sorted. For info, next time, one of the first things to try is putting the USB stick in a USB 2 port.

After ordering the new RAM, I noticed no XMP profile was set for my old RAM in the BIOS.

JayzTwoCents had a very similar problem with a pre-production reviewer sample motherboard a year or two back when he couldn't get it to work when it wasn't overclocked.

Associate
OP
@Quartz, thanks, I really didn't fancy taking everything apart again to send the motherboard back. Yes I read that about trying a USB 2 port first, but obviously no dice from that either. I also have a mini ITX system which I'm thinking of upgrading next, so this experience has not been a total waste of time :)

Back
Top Bottom