• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI Vega 56 damaged chip confusion.

Associate
If it's labelled as "Cxx" it's likely a surface mount capacitor - very small block soldered either end? A picture would help identify the component in question?

Associate
OP
I am not sure how to fix this.
It can not be returned to Overclockers as a warranty sticker had to be removed to see this.
( not bad for a card that is only two months old ) lol.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the reply,do i remove or replace the chip

Replace but unless you know what you are doing and have some soldering skills or a hot air station you should probably just give it to somebody that can. It's a 10 min job.

Also I have a load of AMD donor boards if you need the chip I'm sure one will have it on. I'm no expert but guess it's input filtering for a power stage, given its next to mosfets and vrm's that seems quite likely.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
Even though a warranty sticker had to be removed I would talk to OCUK because that is a physically damaged board and should not be accepted regardless.

Man of Honour
Even though a warranty sticker had to be removed I would talk to OCUK because that is a physically damaged board and should not be accepted regardless.

Yea but looking at it that damage is clearly caused by messing with the card. I've dismantled many vega cards and those heat sinks on the vcore vrm are aftermarket.

Associate
OP
It was about two weeks back that I heard a pop then burning smell. As everything in my PC is new I had no idea where it came from, I figured it was just an led blowing until I purchased an Morpheus II yesterday when I saw what caused it.

I did call OCUK about this and I understood before hand about the warranty being void. It's not all bad the new navi gpu's are just around the corner so I will chalk this up to bad luck and dump this card when the time comes.
Thanks everyone for the reply's.

Back
Top Bottom