MSI X570 MAG Tomahawk wifi not reporting temps?

Associate
I'm on the newest BIOS which I flashed before putting the PC together. APU is a 5700G. What happens that in no matter hwinfo or hwmonitor at some point the temp readouts from the mobo freeze. The sensors for the cpu still update. The thing is the fan doesn't spin up under load because there's no new temp readout so pwm stays the same. I haven't had an issue yet as I'm on good aftermarket air cooling. This is very weird and I've never encountered this before. I registered here to ask if you guys might have an idea.

APU not OCed, gfx clock +375 MHz, gfx voltage 1.2v, memory OCed from 3600/16 to 4400/18 @ 1.45v tested stable with Karhu and Prime95 large FFTs.

Associate
OP
iQ2ifpvjfEqgxi38A

All mobo temp sensors in the lower portion are not updating, fan speed is updating, voltages as well. The two temp sensors above (motherboard/CPU) are updating but the CPU temp is totally off.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iQ2ifpvjfEqgxi38A

Could it be the cooler fitting to snugly?

Should I RMA the board?

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it the latest stable or beta BIOS? Looking at the CPU support page 7C84v17 is needed for the 5700G, and it's also the latest stable version. Perhaps try out the beta BIOS and see if that works any better.

EDIT: I see you overclocked the memory too, does the same happen at 3600?

Associate
OP
When I reverted everything back to stock it didn't happen but this behaviour is kinda hard to reproduce. I suspected the IF clock was unstable but I tested the memory OC with 10 hrs of Karhu and 10 hrs of Prime95 Large FFts to make sure fclk is stable. Cannot be that.

Could it be that the CPU cooler is on too tight? I didn't go beserk on it (been building PCs for 10 years) but made sure it's nice and tight as in "a little tight as better than a little loose".

The BIOS is the latest beta BIOS. Like I said I flashed it one there before PC assembly as I wasn't sure if my 5700G would run with the BIOS they put on it in the factory.

Soldato
You could try refitting the cooler to see if it makes a difference.

If the issue doesn't show up as often on stock speeds, then maybe there's some sort of instability that doesn't appear when you're stressing the RAM. Maybe up the IF voltage a bit and see if that helps.

Could also try the stable BIOS instead of the beta BIOS and see if that's any better.

Associate
OP
By IF voltage you mean vsoc? The memory seems stable to me. Last time I was 99% stable I still got BSODs and now everything works great.

The MSI support said: Check in BIOS if the temp signal changes and if the fan rpm changes if you adjust curve. If so it's a Windows/app problem. It does both work in BIOS (CPU temp sensor and fan rpm adjustment). But that doesn't help me when the CPU gets hot during use and my RPM stay at 50% because the MB thinks the CPU is still cool...

I'm not sure the guy understood that the CPU sensor is fine but the MB sensor isn't working right...

I'm a little confused myself :(

Could also be faulty chipset drivers or Windows issues. But I doubt it. Google would've come up with other ppl having the issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom