MSI X600...

Permabanned
Anyone got one of these? Cant find any reviews or anything. Specs look great, does the battery live up to expectations.

I want it for Office based stuff, web, email, word, excel etc.

Watching videos such as iplayer hd.

Will it be OK for this?

Going to order 2 if they are.

Permabanned
OP
Thanks but that review is over a year old and the model ocuk has was realeased this month I believe. Thought this laptop would be more popular.

Associate
Sure it does. What else could it be ? There is no place to put a 3.5" HDD and I don't know any 1.8" hdd that can hold 320 or 500 GB. ^^
I just bought one MSI X600 with SU9600 proc, 4 GB RAM and 500 GB hard disk yesterday.
I won't use a SDD for the moment as I already have a 160 GB Postville on my Acer 1825PTZ, so I will replace the actual disk (a bit slow) with a 7200RPM until I have the money to buy a 256GB SDD... ^^ :D

EDIT : about your first question, this laptop should do all you expected to as I can do this with my Acer 1825PTZ with a SU4100 and even more...

Last edited:
Associate
Sure it does. What else could it be ? There is no place to put a 3.5" HDD and I don't know any 1.8" hdd that can hold 320 or 500 GB. ^^
I just bought one MSI X600 with SU9600 proc, 4 GB RAM and 500 GB hard disk yesterday.
I won't use a SDD for the moment as I already have a 160 GB Postville on my Acer 1825PTZ, so I will replace the actual disk (a bit slow) with a 7200RPM until I have the money to buy a 256GB SDD... ^^ :D

SSD :D and nice, but isnt 256GB a bit of a waste for a laptop SSD? maybe something just under 100GB, after all its only needed for booting and other highly used programs, no?

Associate
SSD :D and nice, but isnt 256GB a bit of a waste for a laptop SSD? maybe something just under 100GB, after all its only needed for booting and other highly used programs, no?

In fact, I use it to hold all my educational programs and files, such dictionnaries, enclyclopedia, PDF files (32 GB+ just for the PDF ^^), some "MP3 and Videos", and so on...
I also do some linux development with Ubuntu Wubi (30 GB reserved for it).

There is no room for a second HDD, so I have to use the biggest SDD I can buy. :D

By the way, the SSD is a good medecine for the battery life. :p

Permabanned
OP
X600 has arrived. Very nice indeed. The SSD was supposed to be here yesterday but City Link have failed again.

Bit annoyed that it kills your warranty when you replace the HDD.

Associate
Yep, but they change their mind since then.

I already upgraded a Wind U100+ to add memories and a Wind U115 to upgrade the memory too and also the SSD : 8 GB ==> 32 GB.
As already said, as long you don't damage anything or don't modified anything else than RAM and Disk, there is no problem. This should be done properly...

If you modify the laptop or Netbook to add a touchscreen for example, that would be another problem... ^^ OK ? ;)

Associate
Nice yeah ? ;)

Have you installed your own copy of Windows x64 or was it originally installed on the X600 ?
And which SSD do you have ?

I have 4GB RAM but only with a Windows 7 Home Premium x32 so only 3GB is handled.

I guess I have to write MSI ?!?!?!?!

Permabanned
OP
Its my copy of Windows.

I got the Kingston 64Gb V100+ just wanted cheap rather than ultra performance.

Struggling getting the utilties for 64 bit windows. Also the fan is always on!

Associate
I also use another copy of Windows 7 pro x64 from my previous broken Laptop (Asus M51Vr) with all the lastest drivers from Intel, AMD ATI and Realtek when they are newer than those existing on the MSI web site.

Utilities from MSI install fine. Fan is also always on but not that loud. I barely hear it.
I just don't remember how it was with Windows x86 or if it worked differently... ^^
;)

What I regret compared to my old Asus is the low resolution :1440x900 against 1366x768 with MSI X600 (both have the same Panel size), and the Asus has more connectivities (ExpressCard, eSata, FireWire, More USB. The extra CD/DVD burner (Asus) is not a problem as I wanted a lighter Laptop : 2.1 Kg for the MSI and 2.8 Kg for the Asus. I just use an external USB Burner when needed. But I don't need it very often... ^^

But this is a very nice machine anyway.! :)
I love it !

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I have it all setup now. The SSD has transformed it. Very fast now as expected. I didnt think the fan would come on quite so often but I suppose I am comparing it to my old netbook with the atom processor so with a core2duo it is to be expected.

How is your battery life? I get about 4 hours just general office work. Defo not the eight as claimed!

Associate
The battery life depends on the fact you have a 6 or 9 cells battery and if you use the Eco Mode or not.

Actually I hav'nt use the battery yet (just doing the test right now).

The 6 cells battery is said to last about 3 to 4.5 hours depending of the use.

8 hours is for the 9 cells battery.

If you have 4 GB RAM, what you can do is to disable virtual memory and use the SSD tweaker utility. That should encrease the battery life.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4926-ssd-tweaker.html

With my Acer Timelife 1825PTZ and a 6 cells battery (and touchscreen) it is said to last 8 hours in Eco Mode and with the standard HDD. But with my SSD it last about 10 hours in power mode Internet use (Wifi and Bluetooth always on, screen and SSD never sleep and light 100%). ^^
The difference is that the Acer has an Intel GPU (4500 HD), while the MSI has a ATI Radeon ! That makes a big difference.

Six month ago the price of the MSI X600 (with SU9600, 4 GB RAM, 500GB HDD and 9 cells) was almost 1000 € and I paid 558 € (about 719 USD) some days ago for the same machine, but only with a 6 cells battery)...
That may also explains why I have no bag and no mouse ?!?!?! :D

How much have you paid for yours and what is the configuration ?

I'll tell you about my battery life when the test finish (Power mode for the moment) and after I finish to test different modes (at least the Eco mode).

Last edited:
Associate
Woohhaaa, nice price !

For better performance you also need some cycles of complete battery charges and discharges.

So with the standard HDD and Power mode, the battery life is less than 3 hours. First use... ^^

Recharging for Eco mode now... Next ! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom