MTB Tyres 29x2.25

Soldato
Hey guys,

Tyres are looking a bit fatigued now could do with a replacement.

Currently have some Schwalbe 29x2.25,Have done me well,I mainly do road cycling but occasionally once in a blue moon i do go slightly off road,What would you guys recommend? i dont mind paying £30 a tyre.

Would 2.35s fit or be too loose?
i was looking at some Michelin Wild Rock,r2 but again they are 2.35 and not 2.25 which i have on the bike.

appreciate any feedback and suggestions,Cheers! :)

Soldato
The 2.35 is the overall width so you don't need to worry about it being too loose on the wheel..

It will be slightly wider though so especially on the back you need to check you have a decent gap so it doesn't rub on the frame. It will probably be fine though, especially if you stick to more cross country style tyres rather than downhill tyres with big chunky blocks on them.

One thing to bear in mind with mountain bike tyres, some makes size up sightly wider or narrower even though they are the same size. This is mainly due to the tread blocks, but based on your main usage you'd want a fairly small block 'fast' or 'cross country' tyre rather than one with huge chunky tread blocks designed for downhill riding

For example on this pic the tyre is quite close to the frame so you wouldn't get a wider one in realistically.

A5kYDN6.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Also that Michelin Wild Rock,r2 is really the wrong tyre if you do a lot of road with occasional off road.. It's an enduro /all mountain tyre.

I'd be looking at things like
Shwalbe racing ralph
Specialized fast track
Continental race King

Associate
Hey guys,

Tyres are looking a bit fatigued now could do with a replacement.

Currently have some Schwalbe 29x2.25,Have done me well,I mainly do road cycling but occasionally once in a blue moon i do go slightly off road,What would you guys recommend? i dont mind paying £30 a tyre.

Would 2.35s fit or be too loose?
i was looking at some Michelin Wild Rock,r2 but again they are 2.35 and not 2.25 which i have on the bike.

appreciate any feedback and suggestions,Cheers! :)

Hi not all tyres come up the same as even 2.35 could come up narrower than your 2.25's where as 2.2 could be wider!
As depends on how they lay the carcass up and lay tread as some splay to sides more while others don't.

one of the things to do is measure across inside frame where tyre sits on seat stays and chainstays which will give you how much room you have to play with.

29 or 700c is the rim size which they all have to abide by or nothing fits the rest is a free for all!

Continental have a touring tyre thats a mixture

Soldato
OP
Thanks so much for your replies guys i appreciate it,i decided to go with the Continental Double Fighter III 29er,makes the bike look so different compared to what it had on last but i like it,Not been able to take it out for a ride yet because been horrible weather yesterday afternoon but here they are and how the look.

Degreased and cleaned the whole bike while i had it apart too,super clean now. :D

HgN3Sry.jpg
nlhNDES.jpg

Associate
in same boat, mainly go out when its dry on hardpack or on roads, current maxxis ardents are gd all rounders but are more aimed at general mtb off roading, looking at maxxis ikon either 2.0 or 2.2 width or maxxis ardent racers think they're also 2.2. going to make the switch to tubeless when i do get new rubber. Will keep the current Ardents for winter rides

Back
Top Bottom