Multi day events

Soldato
Does anyone have any advice for riding a multi day event? Next year a friend and I are planning to ride around 550 miles over 4 days (unsupported) as part of the Royal British Legions pilgrimage to Ypres to mark 100 years since the end of WWI. We’ve done an Everesting together (slowly!) so we should know what suffering feels like but I’ve never done multiple long days back to back. How much do things like compression socks, recovery drinks and similar matter or just old fashioned food and sleep all I need?

Soldato
Sounds awesome and a great cause. I've been to the WW1 battlefields & memorials and they will be worth the slog over for sure :)

I'd recommend trawling some of the TrainerRoad blogs or podcasts for suggestions.

#86 - Includes - Recovery techniques for stage racing 34 mins -ish in. (granted you won't be racing but the same principles should apply :cool: ) Pitch them a question and they'll probably answer.

Don't stand when you can sit. Don't sit when you can lay down. Don't lay down when you can sleep :p

Nutrition, sleep and pacing will be the biggest factors. Adjusting your setup might be wise too for comfort.

Soldato
OP
Sounds awesome and a great cause. I've been to the WW1 battlefields & memorials and they will be worth the slog over for sure :)

I'd recommend trawling some of the TrainerRoad blogs or podcasts for suggestions.

#86 - Includes - Recovery techniques for stage racing 34 mins -ish in. (granted you won't be racing but the same principles should apply :cool: ) Pitch them a question and they'll probably answer.

Don't stand when you can sit. Don't sit when you can lay down. Don't lay down when you can sleep :p

Nutrition, sleep and pacing will be the biggest factors. Adjusting your setup might be wise too for comfort.

Cheers both! I’ll get that podcast and give it listen on Monday’s commute - not one I’ve heard of but looks great.

I cycled to Amsterdam in August from Dunkirque in a few days, took a scenic route and did it all on a TT bike. All I can say is pack light and take plenty of Bib shorts :)
Enjoy!

A TT bike?! You must have a core of steel :) The only thing more uncomfortable is my riding mates idea that we should do it on a tandem...

Soldato
After riding, a decent size meal, shower & sitting down.

I did use those leg compress inflatable things which helped work out any soreness as one of my mates had a pair.

Don’t go to the pub and live off beer and chips and stay up late... I was fine after an hour on the bike though!

Back
Top Bottom