Multiplayer gaming - convince me.....

Permabanned
I don't think it's as good as it used to be but I had some great nights on Kingpin, CS and the original COD back in the day.

Nowadays you can join a clan by using their server for a few weeks, back then you used to have to earn your clan membership!!

Soldato
Elder Scrolls online doesn't look to be very promising according to a lot of OcUK'ers who have played the beta, and it's eye-wateringly expensive to boot!

Shameless plug here, but why not have a try of War Thunder?

It's a WW2 (and slightly pre-WW2) aircraft game, but with an arcade mode that means you're perfectly capable of flying around in battles using only a keyboard and mouse, no fancy controls.

It's free to play, and there's a few of us OcUK'ers will squad up and fight together. There's very little "aggro" and mouthing off for the most part - it's kind of an aerial FPS is one of the best ways to think of it :)

And if you don't like it, then nothing really lost as you didn't pay anything for it.

Caporegime
The voice comms was one of the things that made Xbox Live so popular. Shipping the console with a headset was one of the best ideas they ever had. Any and every game I've ever played has been improved with voice comms and playing with friends.

Associate
not read the whole thread but if you have steam try the free 2 plat game called RIFT its user friendly a load of fun grouping or solo easy too start

look on YT vids to see what u think

Man of Honour
Seems like I'm not alone then in some ways;)

I might consider giving Elder Scrolls online a go, as I love Skyrim, but I'm just not sure how it would work in multiplayer. A lot of what I love about Skyrim is how it takes you away into your 'own world'. It's absorbing, like a great book is in many ways.

I think the only game/ series I can see working for me and might give a proper go is more sim type stuff like Arma 2/ Arma 3. I can imagine that being great.

There is a certain something about teamplay though in those type of games - when your all supporting each other and going up against stuff you couldn't do solo it can be quite fun.

Permabanned
Rarely ever play singleplayer now, I enjoy multiplayer because far more random things happen making for a different experience each time you play.

Associate
Mechwarrior online is free.
You don't even need to buy any mech's at start, you get to choose one of 4 so called 'trial' mechs which get some bonuses to XP/money gain.
Quite fun and right now you can play in multiple game modes, in teams of 12 vs 12.
Game is still imbalanced but they are trying to fix it.

Associate
If you want to give multiplayer a go; find a gaming community. That's my advice :D

Multiplayer gaming is best played with people you know. I used to mainly play single-player games. Then I started playing MMOs and joined my first community; one aimed at 25+ so full of couples and parents etc. I'm still part of it. We've met up many times over the years in RL, still do.

Then via TF2 I became part of my current multi-gaming community. We play games together, discuss games and have met up to attend LANs (discuss other stuff too...films, books, kids being born). Playing together means that you don't have to face screaming teens, cursing and if you do, you have mates to laugh it all off with. You can implement in-game strategy, learn from each other and experiment with new games.

Soldato
Singleplayer is only good when the game has a good story/environment to make it a worthwile experience.
I don't think I'd ever play something singleplayer for the gameplay alone.

Multiplayer on the otherhand doesn't need that (though it helps), and leans more towards a repetitive activity. Any form of pvp offers the unpredictability of human opponents - something fighting ai will never match.

Soldato
I've been a gamer since day one back when it all started. I've owned almost every console and been PC gaming since the late 90s, and now would say I'm predominantly a PC gamer.

I love single player games, preferably with an engaging story or narrative, but these seem few and far between these days.

Multiplayer to me ended when I used to play the odd game with a few mates or my other half - physically there in the room! - back in the N64 days.

I have never properly played a PC game online.

There I said it. I just don't get it. It all seems too confusing and I've just never had the will to give it a proper go. I experimented with need for speed rivals on PS4 recently but all I could hear was a Glaswegian youth drawling incoherently about how his PS4 had a vertical stand. It made me feel mentally ill.

Is this how it is? Please convince me that it can be great, and possibly recommend the best way, and games, that might help enlighten me....

Personally I tent to never play anything multiplayer except MMOs , that's mainly down to 2 reasons.

1. They are always filled with cheaters, exploiters and people bending the rules to get an unfair advantage.

2. They are always filled with the 9am - 12am gamer who plays every living hour they can and within a week they have mastered the game and just dominate making the experience boring as the average gamer takes twice as long to get as good and generally end up quiting before because its not fun to play against them.

For me this sums up the entire multiplayer genre outside MMOs, because with MMOs you can do multiplayer PvE and this generally is centered around the pace you want to set.

Back
Top Bottom