Multiple Desktops, Multiple Displays. How?

Associate
I've looked around and played with a few programs, but I can't find a way of having one desktop on one display, and one on another. Is it even possible? I've heard of people playing a game on one monitor, while browsing online on another monitor, so I assume so. But how?

What I really want to do is to be able to have Media Center on my secondary display (HDTV) while I can run all the other stuff I want to do on my main display. That way I can watch a movie on one screen and do something else on the other.

I know I can do that just by dragging media player over to the extended display, but its just not as cool. I want to have two desktops now! Its my new goal! :D

Soldato
UnusualSuspect said:
I know I can do that just by dragging media player over to the extended display, but its just not as cool. I want to have two desktops now! Its my new goal! :D

So i dont get it,

What do you want to make it look cool? why does it have to look cool

Open a video > move it to your second display > double click to make full screen > surf the net on primary montior

Whats the problem again??

Do you want a woosh effect or sumthin? :p

Clarkey said:
this is default behaviour in linux, dont think its possible in windows.

yeah with one monitor, you can do a rotate cube thing with Umbungo, but then you cant see the video :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
gizmoy2k said:
Whats the problem again??

Do you want a woosh effect or sumthin? :p
I can have a woosh effect? Neat! How I do that? :p

What I want to do is have Media Center always running on the secondary display, as thats what I use it for.. watching movies n' stuff. (Thinking of getting the remote too).

The thing with Media Center is, when a movie is playing it won't let the mouse move back to the main desktop. So I figured if I can make two desktops, I can switch back and fore without a problem.

If you know a way of getting the mouse back to the main desktop without closing or minimizing Media Center, then my problem is solved.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I have two monitors in vista, and when I start media center is does exactly what you say you want as default. It starts on the secondary monitor, and you can start playing video or whatever and just carry on doing other stuff on the primary monitor.

UnusualSuspect said:
If you know a way of getting the mouse back to the main desktop without closing or minimizing Media Center, then my problem is solved.

You have to alt/tab, but it doesn't minimise, it keeps on playing.

Back
Top Bottom