Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Don
Awesome thread I've wanted to jump back into drones are they really as beginner-proof as people say nowadays? I broke my 1st drone to bits within the 1st week of buying it :/

It depends on what you buy. If you build a racing quad then they are just as hard to fly as they always were. Buy something like a Mavic Mini etc. and they pretty much fly themselves.

Associate
Nice I really want it to film aerial shots for music vids/documentaries I work on we normally have someone in the team that's proficient but I've always looked at getting better with them myself

Mavic Mini is the 1 that's come up a lot in recommendations I'll have to give it a butchers cheers

Soldato
In short, what extra restrictions are there on a 550g drone that would apply to a casual flyer? I've the option of just selling my new drone and instead going for a sub 250g one again. I'm fairly competent at flying now.

Only difference between sub 250g and something above 250g but below 25kg is the requirement for registration. Other than that the restrictions of flying near buildings or people are tied to a certification scheme.

Don
Only difference between sub 250g and something above 250g but below 25kg is the requirement for registration. Other than that the restrictions of flying near buildings or people are tied to a certification scheme.

Incorrect.
Below 250g you are must less restricted with where you can fly.

From the CAA:
  • Drones under 250g can be flown in the A1 sub category (there are also some exceptions for drones up to 500g too).
  • Drones less than 2kg can be flown in A2 sub category, but you must keep at least 50 meters away from people and pass the A2 theory exam (A2 Certificate of Competency or ‘A2 CofC’). If you have not passed the A2 theory exam, you may only fly these drones in the A3 subcategory.
  • Drones of 2kg or greater may only be flown in the A3 subcategory.

The 3 categories:
  • A1: Flying ‘over’ people;
  • A2: Flying ‘close to’ people;
  • A3: Flying ‘far from’ people
So, a Mavic Mini can fly in the A1 category but you must register yourself a flyer ID and take a simple online test (because it has a camera).
A Mavic Air 2 etc, can only fly in the A2 category if the operator holds an A2 CofC. Otherwise it's A3.

This is the main reason I own a Mini 2 as well as an Air 2S. Even though I hold an A2 CofC there are many more places I can fly the mini where I can't legally fly the Air 2S.

Soldato
Incorrect.
Below 250g you are must less restricted with where you can fly.

From the CAA:
  • Drones under 250g can be flown in the A1 sub category (there are also some exceptions for drones up to 500g too).
  • Drones less than 2kg can be flown in A2 sub category, but you must keep at least 50 meters away from people and pass the A2 theory exam (A2 Certificate of Competency or ‘A2 CofC’). If you have not passed the A2 theory exam, you may only fly these drones in the A3 subcategory.
  • Drones of 2kg or greater may only be flown in the A3 subcategory.

The 3 categories:
  • A1: Flying ‘over’ people;
  • A2: Flying ‘close to’ people;
  • A3: Flying ‘far from’ people
So, a Mavic Mini can fly in the A1 category but you must register yourself a flyer ID and take a simple online test (because it has a camera).
A Mavic Air 2 etc, can only fly in the A2 category if the operator holds an A2 CofC. Otherwise it's A3.

This is the main reason I own a Mini 2 as well as an Air 2S. Even though I hold an A2 CofC there are many more places I can fly the mini where I can't legally fly the Air 2S.

Thanks for clarifying.

How long is the A2 CofC valid for and how much does it cost? I'm going to get a flyer ID and operator ID anyway, I could just get the above as well and then keep my HS700E (~550g).

Edit: Found all the information I need here..
https://coptrz.com/what-is-an-a2-cofc-certificate-of-competency-and-why-do-i-need-one/

Edit 2: Think it's got to be the dji mini 2 for me, unless anyone can recommend an even better sub 250g drone?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just shot about an hours footage, taken the memory card out and put it my laptop for it to tell me "you need to format the disk before you can use it" please someone tell me I haven't just lost a load of footage.....?

Chkdsk E:/F just saved my Morning!

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve been thinking about a drone for a few years but can’t decide if it’s a silly whim or not. Recently been thinking about the Telos which you can get at the Purple Emporium but honestly don’t know if it’s the right step.

The Tello is an impressive piece of kit for the size/price, and it's great fun to fly, but to echo @Rilot, it's definitely more of a toy, and the camera isn't great - chances are you'll want to upgrade pretty quickly. If you want a "proper" drone, then I'd second the vote for the Mini 1.

Soldato
As your in the UK and the Mavic Pro is limited to 25mw, your range won't be anywhere near the "advertised" range. In saying that people were getting 2 miles or so still so it should be far enough.

Depends on your environment as well. If its a noisy area (as in wifi noise) then your range may be reduced.

Soldato
I had mine at 1 mile, got nervous and stopped. There was still loads of signal left. Had my Mini 2 at 1600 feet, and again I got nervous.

I dont know how people can send it 2-3 miles and not worry.

Trusting that the equipment will do what it's meant to do is a good start. I've had my fpv gear flying around the Torbay coastline over the water without issue, and that's roughly 10km or so from one end to the other.

Soldato
I had mine at 1 mile, got nervous and stopped. There was still loads of signal left. Had my Mini 2 at 1600 feet, and again I got nervous.

I dont know how people can send it 2-3 miles and not worry.

To be honest, if you are sticking to the drone laws, then that's not really a massive issue given that you are supposed to keep it in unaided line of sight at all times. Good luck spotting a Mini from a mile away! :p

Back
Top Bottom