Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Associate
Hi guys,

Decided I'm finally get myself into the RC flight hobby.

I'm going to start with a foamie plane first as that's what I fancy but would like to invest in a quad down the line.

So I want to know if the FrSky Tanaris X7 is worth it? I've done my reading and it's seems pretty much what I need to get going with possible scope for mods when they become more popular. I plan to get the transmitter first and do some sim stuff and then start my basic build down the line.

There's talk of EU vs international firmware etc for receiver compatibility. Is this a big issue or can I ignore that? I'll be wanting a receiver that does telemetry that can maybe be swapped to a quad at a later date. I'm not bothered about the battery situation as I'll end up using a LiPo.

It certainly looks like a better alternative to the 9XR Pro with FrSky hacked in that I was looking at last year.

Cheers :)

Don't be to concerned over firmware as it's easy to flash either tx or rx

I've just recently sold my taranis plus and used non eu firmware (more stable as it allows more power to transmit)

Takes a while to get your head around it but once you do it's a fantastic tx some do have issues with build quality tho

If you end up with a quad for Arial photography go for the taranis plus as the 16 channels will come in handy

Soldato
Do it! They're enormous fun and so, so portable.

What were you using for the night shot there? Got a mav myself and was testing it out at night and found it drifted a little. Now I live in the middle of the country so it took off and had an issue seeing the ground so maybe drifted 1ft or up and down at times as it couldn't reference the ground at all.

Did you disable any settings etc?

Soldato
What were you using for the night shot there? Got a mav myself and was testing it out at night and found it drifted a little. Now I live in the middle of the country so it took off and had an issue seeing the ground so maybe drifted 1ft or up and down at times as it couldn't reference the ground at all.

Did you disable any settings etc?

Just purely manual settings. I think it was ISO 200 with a 1/2 shutter. I'm getting better at mastering the night shots but it isn't easy - getting focus can be a challenge

I always fly in GPS mode - it is super stable there, even with some wind

Associate
Entered the world of FPV quadcopters with the Wizard X220. It's everything I thought it would be, so much fun and a great new hobby for the summer. I'm starting off learning the basics LoS and have a monitor to progress on to FPV, then will look at some goggles in the future, but it's a lot of fun!! :)

Soldato
Turns out my work are prepared to pay for me to get my PfCO!

There's an organisational ops manual so that's already taken care of but would still be useful to see what goes into it for getting my own personal PfCO one day.

Not sure what craft I'd be flying but I know they have a few Phantoms and there's even one Inspire 2!

Would be a good test bed for me if I could give the I2 a go as I really do want to buy one!

Soldato
Turns out my work are prepared to pay for me to get my PfCO!

There's an organisational ops manual so that's already taken care of but would still be useful to see what goes into it for getting my own personal PfCO one day.

Not sure what craft I'd be flying but I know they have a few Phantoms and there's even one Inspire 2!

Would be a good test bed for me if I could give the I2 a go as I really do want to buy one!

That's awesome! Congrats! Been pushing for my work to look at using UAV's (Emergency Services) but so far they are reluctant to commit, pretty much because of cost/budget implications. I'll keep plugging away though.

Short vid of my flight last weekend at a local disused quarry. First time I've flown there, this place is amazing:-

Associate
Replacement battery arrived for the Mavic after one of them borked during firmware upgrade.

From reporting fault to receiving replacement nearly 4 weeks... :o (the Bank Hols haven't helped)

IMG_20170505_003110.jpg

Associate
That's awesome! Congrats! Been pushing for my work to look at using UAV's (Emergency Services) but so far they are reluctant to commit, pretty much because of cost/budget implications. I'll keep plugging away though.

Short vid of my flight last weekend at a local disused quarry. First time I've flown there, this place is amazing:-

Which service? May be able to put you in touch with someone

Soldato
Which service? May be able to put you in touch with someone

Scottish Fire & Rescue. I've already been in touch with a few people from Hampshire, one from the Met Police and a couple of other guys from a few other areas. But hey!......ping me an email if you have any useful info (email in Trust) - appreciated. :)

Soldato
Anyone using a shield tablet with marshmallow and DJI GO?

If so are you having problems with the app crashing? I've gone from nougat back to marshmallow and the app keeps crashing. I can't set any settings with it :(

Associate
I used Shield once and it failed a firmware update, killed one of the Mavic batteries. Ok it could've happened anytime, just the first time I use the Shield tablet, went back to using my phone.

Back
Top Bottom