Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
No idea how it works on the Mini but when I had the Mavic 2, it would record the RTH location shortly after take off (as long as you let it hover 10-15ft for a few seconds), as long as it has a GPS lock already. Chances are it was trying to return to its known RTH which would have been your place.

Suffice to say its always worth making sure you RTH location is set before you launch it off somewhere :)

Caporegime
https://zerozerorobotics.com/

Bit different, 2 props instead of 4, though it has gears in the legs so might not fare well in a crash.

50 minute flight time as well, presumably down to it only needing to power 2 props instead of 4.

I can see this thing attracting birds more as it has a more bird like shape to it.

Last edited:
Don
How are people finding their Mini who have one? I'm guessing a few got them as Christmas presents.

I must admit, I'm disappointed so far with mine. I posted a couple of weeks ago after the disaster that was my first flight and the battery dying on me, DJI have since swapped that out confirming it was dodgy.
I have been waiting for the weather to settle before taking it out again, today was a clear day, although there was a slight wind. I set off from a nearby grass field and as usual, headed it back to where I live, a small village, at 600m the aircraft lost connection, it was pretty rapid, I went from full signal to pretty much nothing, que RTH being used again.

Anyone else used theirs much?

Soldato
How are people finding their Mini who have one? I'm guessing a few got them as Christmas presents.

I must admit, I'm disappointed so far with mine. I posted a couple of weeks ago after the disaster that was my first flight and the battery dying on me, DJI have since swapped that out confirming it was dodgy.
I have been waiting for the weather to settle before taking it out again, today was a clear day, although there was a slight wind. I set off from a nearby grass field and as usual, headed it back to where I live, a small village, at 600m the aircraft lost connection, it was pretty rapid, I went from full signal to pretty much nothing, que RTH being used again.

Anyone else used theirs much?

That's about as good as you'll get on the UK/EU model with it's hampered/limited output power. The US version would manage double or triple distance.

Soldato
2.4ghz is the radio transmission, limited to 10mw in the UK, 5.8ghz is the video transmission limited to 25mw in the UK.

In the US both 2.4 and 5.8ghz are limited to 1000mw/1 watt output power.

As you said though, your limited to unaided line of sight in the UK but that extra power would help with radio penetration and reduce the likelyhood of interference, with whats happening in the US though I don't hold much hope for this hobby in the future. US law makers are basically destroying it.

Soldato
It's another one of those "and whos going to police it" things.

I certainly don't see it happening even in the US its unlikely to pass, if they wish to "secure" airspace for commercial use by the likes of amazon or google they need to leave the hobbyist airspace alone and concentrate on the airspace above 400ft and below 1000ft.

Associate
I got a Mavic Pro for Christmas, I think I have had about 20/25 or so flights with it. I feel like I have gotten to grips with the basics and am confident flying it anywhere now. I've found the range to be a bit "spotty". I've had it out to 4KM over the forest and it seemed totally stable with no connection problems but over more built up areas it can moan at around 600m. It's not the end of the world but it's kinda limiting in some circumstances. My new objective is to be able to shoot and edit better quality video. I've grabbed a copy of Adobe Premier and managed to cobble together my first video, took a long time to edit about 40 minutes worth of footage! I've kinda been gathering footage as I've just been exploring about but what I think I need to do is create short purpose shot videos to make editing far easier. Really enjoying flying it and looking forward to the warmer, longer days so I can take it further afield. I grabbed a cheap "range extender" from Amazon for like £8 and it certainly helps if you are flying in a straight line or know exactly where the drone is. Also tempted to look into lens filters but one thing at a time!

Don
I got a Mavic Pro for Christmas, I think I have had about 20/25 or so flights with it. I feel like I have gotten to grips with the basics and am confident flying it anywhere now. I've found the range to be a bit "spotty". I've had it out to 5KM over the forest and it seemed totally stable with no connection problems but over more built up areas it can moan at around 600m. It's not the end of the world but it's kinda limiting in some circumstances. My new objective is to be able to shoot and edit better quality video. I've grabbed a copy of Adobe Premier and managed to cobble together my first video, took a long time to edit about 40 minutes worth of footage! I've kinda been gathering footage as I've just been exploring about but what I think I need to do is create short purpose shot videos to make editing far easier. Really enjoying flying it and looking forward to the warmer, longer days so I can take it further afield. I grabbed a cheap "range extender" from Amazon for like £8 and it certainly helps if you are flying in a straight line or know exactly where the drone is. Also tempted to look into lens filters but one thing at a time!

I'm the same, I've also got Adobe Premier and been playing with it, mainly around my RC car footage at the moment but I have over 100gb worth of stuff I need to edit kid wise, it's pretty easy when you use it regularly.

What happened with your Mavic out of curiosity? Did the seller pay to fix it?

I'm also looking for to better weather!

Associate
I'm the same, I've also got Adobe Premier and been playing with it, mainly around my RC car footage at the moment but I have over 100gb worth of stuff I need to edit kid wise, it's pretty easy when you use it regularly.

What happened with your Mavic out of curiosity? Did the seller pay to fix it?

I'm also looking for to better weather!

Before I even loaded up Adobe I had watched about 2 hours of tutorials on Youtube so had a somewhat decent starting point. It's good fun though and I cannot wait to try slow motion / hyperlapse shots.

The original Mavic, the seller blamed me for "crashing it". Claims I got it delivered, then went out flying it in the afternoon. In reality, I was at work till 18:00, went to vote and then shopping at IKEA. I had Google location logs, receipts, everything ready to fight it. Turns out I would have automatically have got a refund as it was a protected purchase, I didn't need to do anything other than request to return it. I bought a second Mavic off of eBay for about £480 (picture below) and it's been faultless. A real joy to fly, I am still struggling to work out the difference between ft and km though :p I think my distance was closer to 4KM but I had enough battery and signal to go further, I just didn't fancy wading through the forest to get it if something went wrong.

I've tried Active track on our Labrador while ball throwing for him, it does okay while he is running after it but totally loses him every time he sharply turns to head back. I might try playing with it some more as that could produce some good video!

Don
I love the fact you got burnt with an eBay purchase and then go and buy another second hand one :D - I'm really wary of buying electrical goods on there and if I did, I'd opt to go pick it up rather than have it delivered so I can see it in action etc.

At least your second is all good. I'm off walking in the moors this weekend so aim to get some good footage, it's great just being able to take the mini literally anywhere I go, even in its bag its easily transportable.

Back
Top Bottom