Muse - Simulation Theory

Soldato
Yep I just saw. There was a whole bunch of us at my work booked to go. Gutted. One of my colleagues is booked to see him in twice in Austria afterwards! :(:(:(

We'll still go as I'm sure it'll be amazing. Feel a bit ripped off though, we certainly wouldn't have booked if it wasn't him conducting. Certainly wouldn't have paid so much for it either :(

Man of Honour
OP
So this album came out in full today. Initial impressions are that the songs that were released early were the better ones (as you’d predict). Haven’t completely made my mind up on the others...: although really not sure on Properganda!

Soldato
I've enjoyed this album more off that bat compared to the last few albums. I quite like both version of Algorithm. Some of the album feels a bit Daft Punk? Some of has vibes of 'old' Muse and some I was just like "oh...ok then..."

Permabanned
Every track is distinctly Muse, that's not a good thing nor a bad thing. 80'sEsque Muse...hmmmm it's a bit humdrum.
Can't write it off but it doesn't make me wet the sheets and want to jump out of bed in the morning to listen to it.

Soldato
The more I've paid to watch Muse the less I've enjoyed it. I think the last gig I actually enjoyed was Wembley in 2007 and since then it's been downhill. I've no doubt they'd still be great in a smaller venue but the arena/stadium shows these days are "meh".

I kind of find that the larger the venue I see a band in the less I enjoy it. I saw muse at the Glasgow SECC last tour and it was like watching ants on the stage. I was so far away I didn't even feel like I was actually there! Spent most of the time watching the TV screens which ruined the experience. I think standing tickets would have been better as some of the seats are miles away from the stage.

Quite like the album though. As others have said it's basically what you'd expect muse meets 80s synth to sound like!

Soldato
Just got the album through the post, and on the first listen through.

I didn't get the impression from any of the singles, but several of the other songs on the album I've found a bit reminiscent of Prince.

Associate
I kind of find that the larger the venue I see a band in the less I enjoy it. I saw muse at the Glasgow SECC last tour and it was like watching ants on the stage. I was so far away I didn't even feel like I was actually there! Spent most of the time watching the TV screens which ruined the experience. I think standing tickets would have been better as some of the seats are miles away from the stage.

Quite like the album though. As others have said it's basically what you'd expect muse meets 80s synth to sound like!

I had this exact issue when sitting to watch them at Wembley... worst Muse gig I've been to for that reason. However, when I saw them at the Hydro in Glasgow, we were seating too and just didn't have that issue, I guess we had better seats, it was an amazing gig! I was also at the SECC gig at the front left right at the barrier, and that was utterly mind blowing, Matt standing about 5 feet infront of us during his solos is a definite highlight of any gig I've ever been to.

Soldato
I was bought the album for my birthday and have had it looping around most of the weekend, really like it. I'm a big Muse fan and I can !always see good in the bad" but don't feel I need to on this one.
Even the "lesser" tracks get better with repeated plays.

Man of Honour
OP
After a few listens, my view has largely unchanged: songs released pre-album are good, songs released with the album are ok to meh. Can’t see those ones growing on me but fingers crossed.

Algorithm - cliched 80s sounds about 2 years to late.
Dark Side - best cut on the album by far
Pressure - fun toe tapper, catchy
Properganda - the voice saying properganda is horrible and jarring. Otherwise sounds like ‘Prince’. Doesn’t really work.
Break it to Me - curious funky riff but uninspired lyrics and boring Middle Eastern scale singing
Something Human - Great chorus and unusual lyrics
Thought Contagion - Imagine Dragons. Quite a pleasant listen.
Get Up and Fight - DJ Sammy
Blockades - Just rather forgettable
Dig Down - Fun lyrics and toe tapper
The Void - more cliched 80s sounds and really bland lyrics

I definitely like that Matt has droppped those silly overdone vocals most prominent on ‘Supremacy’.

Soldato
I thoroughly enjoyed the new album, I can almost imagine it being the soundtrack for the new season of Stranger Things :p I think it's a really fun listen even the none single stuff is pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom