MX-5 rotting away, what next? (spec me, blah)

Associate
Between Coventry and Leicester

I know some one in hinckley that is very cheap for welding, he repaired my jag a few months ago. both inner and outer sills, rear inner arch along with replacing a number of bushes, all together it was £280 plus vat. DC Motors.

Soldato
Maybe it depends where in the country you are, places around here want £600 a side to cut out the rear arches and replace.

The sills won't make the car a write off cost wise. However check the front chassis rails, if there are gone or going the cost is huge. You need to remove the engine tray to check them.

See this thread all mk2.5's suffer from it. http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=46836

Associate
OP
It's not the sills themselves, but the added work that if I were to keep the car I'd want doing as well (sills, cavity and under seal, dent removal, etc.). The front chassis rails aren't too bad, yet, but there is some surface rust appearing on them and it'd need doing as well.
It's the cost of everything mounting up that is rapidly making me fall out of love with the MX-5 really, which is why I'm considering changing it for something that'd essentially be more practical.

Soldato
Guy I know with a mk1 did his sills himself and said that to get the rot out and do a semi tidy job took him 15 hours plus the cost of the materials... and he hasn't painted it properly yet. OK so he isn't a pro but it shows that it isn't always a quick job. I've also seen plenty of stories of repairs lasting no time at all when it has been done cosmetically without really hacking it back.

Anyway, the answer is an Octavia vRS ;)

Back
Top Bottom