MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

I honestly didn't think this was a mod for the NC but apparently so and there's a few forums posts discussing it, eg - https://forum.mx5oc.co.uk/t/nc-indicator-tapturn/92630. Looks like it's all third-party 'flasher' units rather than a Mazda part that can be fitted. Certainly useful if your use to tap/soft-touch indicators or wanting LED bulbs (stops hyper-flashing supposedly) though.
I emailed them to ask if they make a right hand drive version because of the cable run to the fuse box going by the installation guide. I might have to solder an extension cable if not. Unless there's a 12v somewhere close by the steering wheel that I'm unaware of.

Thanks for the link. I'll have a read. :)

There is a RX8 stalk assembly going on ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314655963756) which looks the same to what i purchased, although it's £60.
If you get a stalk assembly from a RX8 or Mazda, then it's two phillips screws to remove the wiper stalk and then you just pull it out from the assembly. The assembly and indicator stalk you leave or sell on.
Just wanted to let you know that I submitted an offer and got it for £45 including VAT and shipping in the end.
Thank you again for the info and links.

Has anyone here done the front cowl sealant fix on their NC?

I got a quote while I was at Mazda dealership the other day when I had to order a new key fob and they quoted me £66 for the cowl sealant job. That's everything, parts + labour.

Looking online I researched the cap covers and cowls parts + sealant, it comes to around £50

I reckon I could do the job myself but just wanted to ask what you guys would suggest?

The gromets that sit beneath the scuttle panel/front windscreen that perish and cause leaks?
Parts are around £10 (look on MX5Parts) + some Fernox LS-X sealant and it's supposedly a 30-60min job. I need to do mine at some point.

If it's something else and the parts are £50 then as @Siliconslave says, for the sake of £16 it's worth getting someone else to do it.

I got a quote while I was at Mazda dealership the other day when I had to order a new key fob and they quoted me £66 for the cowl sealant job. That's everything, parts + labour.

Looking online I researched the cap covers and cowls parts + sealant, it comes to around £50

I reckon I could do the job myself but just wanted to ask what you guys would suggest?
Where are you getting £50 from?

and some silicone sealant.

For £16 id get them to do it tbh...
The gromets that sit beneath the scuttle panel/front windscreen that perish and cause leaks?
Parts are around £10 (look on MX5Parts) + some Fernox LS-X sealant and it's supposedly a 30-60min job. I need to do mine at some point.

If it's something else and the parts are £50 then as @Siliconslave says, for the sake of £16 it's worth getting someone else to do it.

I had originally ordered them from MX5 parts but they are currently on backorder. I contacted customer service and they are not expecting them until end of August.

Next place that had them available was eBay at £29 for the kit. Then sealant is around £12. I was looking at a marine grade sealant, 29ml. I've not heard of Fernox LS-X. Any good?

This video makes it look super easy. But, as siliconslave says it's £16 difference. With that I get main dealer paperwork history for if I ever decide to sell it on, or if it should leak again I've got that as evidence.

The leak is pretty bad and I'm concerned if I don't address soon it potentially could cause more issues. I guess the previous owners had a garage so wasn't much of an issue for them.

If this summer wasn't so much of a washout then I wouldn't mind waiting till end of August.

Last edited:
@01001101 - MX5City seem to have the parts in stock - https://www.mx5city.com/mx5-windscreen-cowl-grommet-nc/ (part #BJ0J50798) and https://www.mx5city.com/scuttle-screw-cap-mk3/ (part # E01650796).
Can always phone your local dealer (some Mazda dealers are a lot better than others), quote the part numbers and get a cost; it's the sort of thing they should have in stock.

And Fernox LS-X is the sealant typically recommended, although in theory just replacing the grommets should work.

If it is as bad as you say then i would recommend whipping out the glovebox and just checking to make sure the bulkhead isn't rusty and treat if needed.

@01001101 - MX5City seem to have the parts in stock - https://www.mx5city.com/mx5-windscreen-cowl-grommet-nc/ (part #BJ0J50798) and https://www.mx5city.com/scuttle-screw-cap-mk3/ (part # E01650796).
Can always phone your local dealer (some Mazda dealers are a lot better than others), quote the part numbers and get a cost; it's the sort of thing they should have in stock.

And Fernox LS-X is the sealant typically recommended, although in theory just replacing the grommets should work.

If it is as bad as you say then i would recommend whipping out the glovebox and just checking to make sure the bulkhead isn't rusty and treat if needed.
Seems like MX5City are also out of stock atm.

This is what it currently looks like.

2TW1P9w.jpg

n9YgEhv.jpg

NnPnv6G.jpg

Problem is they will just install the grommets with the foam seals and won't use any sealant so the issue will just come back.
I was told that they would use sealant as well as replace them. But I know what you mean.. doing the job yourself you would want to make sure that you do it once, and for that to be the first and last time you have to do that job.

Last edited:
I was told that they would use sealant as well as replace them.
I suspect you might be able to find the bits if you searched around enough but if Mazda said they would seal it all then it might be the easiest option.

Regarding the rust, it looks mostly surface and it's probably ok but i personally would be getting the AquaSteel out and giving some of the bits a going over.
Post the pictures on MX5OC, and various other MX5 forums, and see what they say as there will be plenty of others that have encountered the same and dealt with it.
Has got me thinking i should probably do mine and check it all over :cry:

I suspect you might be able to find the bits if you searched around enough but if Mazda said they would seal it all then it might be the easiest option.

Regarding the rust, it looks mostly surface and it's probably ok but i personally would be getting the AquaSteel out and giving some of the bits a going over.
Post the pictures on MX5OC, and various other MX5 forums, and see what they say as there will be plenty of others that have encountered the same and dealt with it.
Has got me thinking i should probably do mine and check it all over :cry:
I called Mazda and double checked a few things.

They said that they don't normally replace the cowls as: "They haven't ever encountered a cowl in a bad enough state to warrant a replacement. What causes the leak is the underside of the cowl is a black foam substance that degrades to the point which then allows water to leak in." What they will do is seal the cowl to stop water from leaking into the vehicle.
I asked about what type of sealant they use and it's just a standard sealant. Nothing special. The work isn't covered by any warranty.

Kind of makes me think that I should just do the job myself. To pay £66 just for a bit of sealant and 30min worth of work seems a lot. Compared to doing a replacement and reseal. Don't know why they said parts and labour on the quote.

Good shout! I was looking at the MX5OC forum the other day but it's a members only forum, unless I'm mistaken. It's £38 per year for membership, but you get certain perks and discounts being a member. Is anyone here a member and is it worth it?

Thank you for giving it a look over. I'll get some steel wool and get round to cleaning it up over the weekend.

I called Mazda and double checked a few things.

They said that they don't normally replace the cowls as: "They haven't ever encountered a cowl in a bad enough state to warrant a replacement. What causes the leak is the underside of the cowl is a black foam substance that degrades to the point which then allows water to leak in." What they will do is seal the cowl to stop water from leaking into the vehicle.
I asked about what type of sealant they use and it's just a standard sealant. Nothing special. The work isn't covered by any warranty.

Kind of makes me think that I should just do the job myself. To pay £66 just for a bit of sealant and 30min worth of work seems a lot. Compared to doing a replacement and reseal. Don't know why they said parts and labour on the quote.
It's the grommets (cowl typically refers to the scuttle panel) that leak which have the foam backing/seal; if they're not replacing those, and they're only a quid or so each then it seems very expensive for what is a bit of a bodge job.
Just keep hunting (especially on eBay) for the parts as it's a common issue with the NC and someone will get them in soon. And it's worth signing up for the email notifications that some sites have, like on autolinkmx5.com.

Good shout! I was looking at the MX5OC forum the other day but it's a members only forum, unless I'm mistaken. It's £38 per year for membership, but you get certain perks and discounts being a member. Is anyone here a member and is it worth it?
The forum (https://forum.mx5oc.co.uk) is open to everyone albeit i believe there's a few sub-forums that are for owner club members. I've certainly never paid for membership.

You've also got Miata.net (US based), MX5Nutz (Mostly US based) and then various MX5 groups on Facebook etc. And i'm sure there's more places.

Last edited:
Nice one bud. Thank you!

I've signed up to the MX5OC forum. Non membership, pending approval.

On a good note I've received shipment notification that both the smart flasher is on its way along with the RX8 wiper stalk upgrade. Nice QOL upgrade when it arrives.

I think I'm going to tell Mazda to forget about the cowls for now. My appt for the key fob is next Friday. I might as well do it myself and get the cowls sorted before then. Just need a day's dry spell and the parts. Should be good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom