MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

IC3

IC3

Soldato
With £2k, what sort of generation should I be looking at? My new job is 3 miles away, so lets say the mx5 was built purely for fun. Which would be better, newer or older gens?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Mk1s the least, but for 2k you'll struggle to find anything rot free.

You either pay a hefty premium or buy one in decent condition with rot and budget for having it repaired
Mk1, 2 and 2.5 is 1600+ insurance wise whilst the MK3 is £700. In that case I could up the budget for an MK3 2.0 with LSD :)

Soldato
Loving all the talk of mk1 prices being on the up :D I don't plan on shifting my one yet but it isn't far off, couple of years maybe. At my current mileage it will still be <50k on the clock and should still be rust free and never welded... got to be worth £5k+ ;)

Soldato
Yeah the 2.0 sport, wasn't really a fan, obviously its vastly more refined than the older gens. I haven't driven the Mk4 yet though so might not like that either, but its vastly improved in the aesthetics department over the Mk3, imo of course!

Soldato
Yeah the 2.0 sport, wasn't really a fan, obviously its vastly more refined than the older gens. I haven't driven the Mk4 yet though so might not like that either, but its vastly improved in the aesthetics department over the Mk3, imo of course!
I do agree that the mk3 is somewhat different in the style department compared to the others. Lowering helps a lot imo. I don't think I'd have bought one if it had been less refined that my hard top Mk3.5, it makes a decent daily because of it.

I'm not a fan of the looks of the mk2 but different strokes for different folks and all that!

Soldato
So you have a mk3 and mk3.5 or had a mk3.5 and changed back to a 3?
I only drove the mk3, I have heard the 3.5 does improve the handling, and also the headlights look much better I think.
Sorry, I wasn;t clear! I have a 3.5 and this is the only mx5 I've owned or driven. I've been in a MK1 but I didn't fit very well :p

IC3

IC3

Soldato
So... search on MX5 forums for a looked after MK1? I won't loose money on it, as they're appreciating, makes sense to go for it?

Soldato
So... search on MX5 forums for a looked after MK1? I won't loose money on it, as they're appreciating, makes sense to go for it?

Check Facebook too, eBay, gumtree, piston heads etc.

Well loose money depends on what state you get one! They're holding their value and clean mk1s are appreciating slowly.

Soldato
Good ones are appreciating, to keep them good you'll need to factor in perhaps some rust work or rust proofing plus maybe a roof too. So overall you'd perhaps end up spending the increase in value to keep it in good condition.

I would look at it that you'd lose a minimal amount overall, anything over is a bonus...

Soldato
Mk4 is supposed to be very much mk1s replacement, it's light, small etc.

I totally agree with that. I stupidly took one out on a test drive and instantly wanted to buy one :p It just felt like the original mk1 brief created as a modern car, it was awesome.

Good ones are appreciating, to keep them good you'll need to factor in perhaps some rust work or rust proofing plus maybe a roof too. So overall you'd perhaps end up spending the increase in value to keep it in good condition.

I would look at it that you'd lose a minimal amount overall, anything over is a bonus...

I often joke about the prices going up but really what it means to me is that I can justify spending money on it. Yes it is a cheap car but at least it isn't a depreciating one so when it needed a new roof I was happy to throw on a nice mohair one for example.

My poor old girl got a trip to the coast with my mate in the passenger seat rather than my wife so instead of driving miss Daisy for the whole trip it was ragging it the whole way there and back :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
My poor old girl got a trip to the coast with my mate in the passenger seat rather than my wife so instead of driving miss Daisy for the whole trip it was ragging it the whole way there and back :D

What, you hit 60?

Sorry, only kidding. I like the fact that we get fun at sane speeds.

Back
Top Bottom