• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My 5800x died [Reddit Thread]

Associate
I haven't heard of 5800X's dying regularly, but yeah... there are actually a lot more people on that thread with dead CPUs than I'd anticipate.

Used to be that the CPU almost never failed; you could take it for Granite, as Rick would say.

Soldato
OP
I've never had a CPU fail in over 30 yes, every one overclocked. I think overclocking Zen 3 is pretty pointless and haven't tried with my 5600X, might try undervolting though.

Associate
It is (or was) extremely rare, I've only ever had one CPU fail on me and that was a P3 933Mhz (I think, it's been a while). I was using it as a secondary machine and one day it just wouldn't boot up, it was dual CPU fortunately so removing the faulty chip and it never gave me another problem after that, everything was stock.

My first 5900X had a faulty core and got returned, this second 5900X has been issue free so far but I think I've only ever had those two issues with CPUs in 30 or so years.

Associate
I wouldn't be concerned. These threads pop up for every recent release of hardware and are filled with biased & anecdotal accounts of failures. There's no useful data in them, and very rarely any correct advice. A great example was the 3080 release with a ton of utter garbage surrounding capacitors, all of which was spoken about by armchair experts - it was literally ALL incorrect.

Regardless, this particular CPU failing could be caused by a handful things unrelated to the CPU, including ESD, motherboard, power supplies, heatsinks & thermal paste. Or it could be a true random hardware failure, for which AMD will have characterised thousands of devices running at very high temperatures for long periods of time...

Back
Top Bottom