• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My 6600gt broke :(

Permabanned
Literally, im playing WoW and I notice my performance has been deteriorating so I open the computer and find my beloved 6600gt to be reduced to this:

http://img77.imageshack.us/my.php?image=graphicsmb6.gif

than fan literally fell out as I took it out the case.

I think it'll be ok for now as I have one of those PCI slot fans which will do for now hopefully but in the mean time I can take advantage of this opportunity to get a new graphics card.

I need something quite cheap to keep me going, I saw a X1950 pro for around £100 which sounds good. Ultimately, I'd love a cheap card that can handle Oblivion because if it can handle that game, it'll do fine for me.

Thanks guys

Permabanned
OP
Dark_Angel said:
I think the card you linked to is a great choice!

Could you post the rest of your system specs?

it's a bit dated, 4x512mb pc3200 ram, AMD Athlon skt939 3000 @ 2.0ghz.

It's done me very well so far, i just can't understand how a fan can fall off like that :p

Soldato
Your system isnt too bad, I would say get the GPU that you linked to above, and then overclock your CPU a bit more (say get it to 2.3 - 2.4 GHZ) and you should have a pretty decent system really.

Permabanned
OP
Sean_UK said:
Well either £10 to £15 for after-market cooler for the 6600gt if still working that is? :confused: Or yes the X1950 is ideal for your system to boost it fair bit. :)

well, im thinking about waiting for the 8600gt (or ATi equiv) since my 6600gt was bought at launch and has done a fine job till then.

And at £15 quid, it certainly sounds like a cheaper alternative.

I just hope it fixes the low performance (i assume the card is underclocking itself to lower temps)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-019-AR

Associate
Did you try overclocking your 6600gt.

I have the 256mb version and have so far got it to 520/975 from 500/950. It peaks at 91 degrees which isn't too warm for a gfx card.

Just wondering if anyone has managed to clock one any further.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom