My Antec 1200 build

Associate
Just moved this from the watercooling section - I think I put it in the wrong section.

So, been building PC’s since university days back in early 2000 when my Windows 2k system decided to burn and die a day before an assignment was in, and being a student, all I was really interested in were studying the ladies so I would only do work when I had to. This led to a crash course into the world of repairing computers and its become a bigger hobby of mine ever since.

12 years later, I decide to throw myself into the world of watercooling. This post shows different stages of my case as I built it, then redid it all again, modding different things as I go. Every single component and peripheral you see in the pictures here have been bought from here at overclockers, except for the EK Bridge as they advised and sent me the wrong one so I got it from elsewhere instead. Anyways, be nice….

The antec 1200 has never been reknown for being exceptionally great at watercooling other than on a basic level and doesn’t really have any space inside without some mods so I initially started off by having a dual rad stuck on the rear of the case as I had seen others do. This is my first ever WC setup and my first ever attempt at modding a case…

817_rs.jpg

818_rs.jpg

Ripped off the cooler off my MSI 580 gtx for the EK WB to be installed

819_rs.jpg

Missus was not impressed when she saw the study

828_rs.jpg

Hated the jubilee clips, swore that I would change them as soon as I reasonably could. Wasn’t too happy with the loop at this point. Felt messy to me.

855_rs.jpg

853_rs.jpg

860_rs.jpg

841_rs.jpg

832_rs.jpg

By this time, I almost despised the loop and a week later, I ripped it all apart and redid it.

The dual rad I put behind the front fan bezels, kept the fans blowing inwards and attached two fans on the rear of the rad pulling the air through into the case, allowing it to be exhausted through the top 200mm and two rear 120mm fans.

903_rs.jpg

Changed the coolant to red which was what I wanted in the first place, but green was all that was in stock when I initially ordered the components.

897_rs.jpg

898_rs.jpg

905_rs.jpg

Then I got bored of the blue fans and decided to change them from blue to red by changing the LED’s myself. Il do a separate tutorial on this if anyone is interested and link it to this post. They then looked like this.

979_rs.jpg

963_rs-1.jpg

996_rs.jpg

I then kept getting irritated with the side panel window of the 1200 case and the metal mesh and bar blocking my view of the interior of the case. Surprisingly, not that many people have modded the side panels of the 1200’s so I thought how hard could it be (Famous last words).

1_rs.jpg

3_rs.jpg

After a bit of trusted dremel action, this was the result

4_rs.jpg

6_rs.jpg

A simple piece of acrylic was bought – apologies for the company name, that was totally unintentional. Please remove the picture if necessary.

7_rs.jpg

End result:

9_rs.jpg

10_rs.jpg

A month or so later, I decided to put another dual rad in the case, and figured how hard is it putting it at the top, so I can utilize the 200mm extraction fan. Also finally got some nice compression fittings to take the place of those horrid jubilee clips

1125_rs.jpg

1130_rs.jpg

1132_rs.jpg

Due to the position of the new dual radiator, it blocked Antec standard HDD trays so I made some brackets for them instead.

1136_rs.jpg

I was finally starting to feel happy with the interior loop design…

1135_rs-1.jpg

1160_rs.jpg

1165_rs.jpg

1166_rs.jpg

1167_rs.jpg

1170_rs.jpg

Then a bit of cable management:

973.jpg

Ended up removing connectors from some of the cables to run them through holes I had drilled to keep them out of eye sight.

1141_rs.jpg

Another month went past, and again, I had a look at my set up and thought, its still not enough (The bug had well and truly bitten me by now), I need to upgrade my GPU anyways. Placed another order and these came through the next morning at the same fast speed and standard I have come to expect of overclockers.

1215_rs.jpg

With the new CSQ waterblocks fitted

1241_rs.jpg

Put a backplate on them. Yes, I know it says 680 on the backplate by overclockers didn’t stock the 670 FTW backplates and as it uses the 680 reference board anyways, they were the only option I had. Made a slight mod to them as well to make the EVGA UV reactive.

1237_rs.jpg

As I had the case stripped down again, I wanted to do more with my cable management and started to look around at some cases. I looked at the Corsair 800d and really loved the idea of having a shelf covering your PSU and cables and thought, well, lets just make one then. So, a donor was found in my garage and its top donated against its will to my new cause.

1243_rs.jpg

1245_rs.jpg

This finally ended up installed as such and I used the two watercooling grommets from the rear of the 1200 case to cover the smaller holes, blocked those holes at the rear of the case with black painted Perspex and covered the PSU exhaust hole with speaker mesh.

1247_rs.jpg

1255_rs.jpg

1257_rs.jpg

1267_rs.jpg

1263_rs.jpg

At this point, I got everything put back together again, another bleed of the loop and booted back up again. Then all hell broke loose. Crashes, BSOD, memory dumps etc especially when telling the system to engage SLI mode. So, must be the PCI buses. I had checked my manual before installing the cards and it said that the top and bottom PCI slot would run at 16x when sli’d. Anyways, bit of troubleshooting later, found out that MSI had misprinted their manual and the bottom PCI slot was running at 4x hence the conflicts. So, ripped the system down again, and ordered a new EK Bridge instead. I sent overclockers a webnote to see if I had to stay with CSQ or if I could use the other normal EK bridges to which I was advised that I could. Order placed, part arrived, not compatible. I then ordered it through another company for next day delivery.

1278_rs-1.jpg

1283_rs.jpg

Here you can see the front of the shelf in place. I have since changed that so there are no screws or any other way of seeing it held in place which is being done so by velcro. Still got a flush finish however.

1275_rs.jpg

Everything put back together again, rebled, and its been fantastic since. So, a month later, got bored, tried to figure out what to do next, then got of the Perspex left over from the window mod, and changed the front of my case.

1323_rs.jpg

1317_rs.jpg

1325_rs.jpg

Oh, how did the donor computer case hold up to this?

1272_rs.jpg

Im curious to hear the opinions of those more experienced in watercooling setups. Must admit, I love the front of my case, came out so much better than I ever thought it would. My temps are still absolutely fine - as I write this, temps are 24c, and under heavy load, Far Cry 3 maxed out, they hit late 40s, early 50s with all the fans turned up.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Dont be scared of it. I was like that initially but needed a challenge as just building air cooled PCs was no longer a challenge. My first pics with the green coolant was my first ever attempt, and after that, I just got bitten by the bug and wanted to go harder.

I followed a lot of advice within these forums, and as a result, didnt put a step wrong. I have never had a leak yet. Just start it slow and take your time. No need to rush.

Associate
OP
So, I liked how the front of the case turned out, so decided to do the same to the top as well. I havent fully completed this yet and is still a work in progress.

IMAG1384_zps0d84fd99.jpg

IMAG1382_zps0877ff00.jpg

I want the same reflective top as I do on the front.

Associate
OP
Another quick update - top of the case finished.

IMAG1385_zps5240204f.jpg

IMAG1403_rs_zps583f768c.jpg

Now, debating the next mod. Thinking about partitioning the inner front of the case from the main section with the same sort of reflective idea to bounce the light around a bit and help out with the cable management.

IMAG1404_rs_zps67246a73.jpg

IMAG1405_rs_zps6b40cf65.jpg

Il see if I can get some time over the xmas period between work.

I think I need to do some braiding as well. Where is the best place to buy cable braiding/sleeving? Any particular type which is preferential? Ive heard some braiding tends to unravel as you work with it, is this the case?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Looking nice :)

Thank you.

dont suppose you live near essex? Seriuosly impressed with what you have accomplished :)

No, nowhere near essex. Id have mag wheels as case feet if i did... :D

Nice job but its a heavy blooming case with aircooling hate to feel it now with that lot in it lol :)

Its just a tad over 25kg at the moment. She is a beast thats for sure but I am happy with it so far. Unlike my son however who weighs around the same, thankfully it just sits on the plank of wood on the floor and doesnt throw itself at me like my son does.

Unfortunately, xmas didnt work out quite the way I wanted it to, so no time to spend doing more mods. I have a few days off now, so I am going to start on a new inner partition. Il keep you all updated.

Last edited:
Associate
I hear what you are saying about the antec's being limited in options for water cooling. I got the antec 1100 because was and still is their flagship case and WC options are very limited. One option is the dual 120mm screw-less fan mount near the hdd cage. That was my idea and then because I got the rampage iv extreme being an e-atx board my sata cable would not fit in the stupid side ports. So I had to do external mounting like you previously had but had to use support brackets because only one 120mm back fan.

Do you reckon I should stick with this case and do what you did an mount the rad by modding the top and making use of the 200mm big boy fan? I see your cooling performance is fine whats your experience? Check my build log btw for pictures. thanks.

Associate
OP
My experience? Watercooling wise, this was my first ever attempt. PC building wise? Years. The first pictures with the green coolant and external rad being the first stage up to the stage it is now. I have never had a leak (which I am chuffed about) and just take my time with the build. The biggest challenge is keeping little hands away from the compression fittings as for some reason, my little man likes taking them and hiding them, normally under the couch for some reason.

Mounting the rad under the 200mm fan was pretty easy. Made four custom brackets using one of the HDD cages actually. Designed the brackets so that they would allow the rad to float as such as I did not know if rads could cause any vibration. I did the same with the rad in the front of the case too. Supported it vertically with the brackets and a bit of rubber. Not sure if that was necessary, but no issues so far.

As you can see on the picture, (looks like I need to do another clean) the rad isnt actually touching the case, and is only being supported by the brackets. You can also see the shape of the brackets I made. This was largely determined by the design of the top of the case. The side of the brackets got riveted to the metal of the case, with the bracket side supporting the actual rad being secured to each of the four corner rad mountings by screws.

IMAG1414_zpsb411883e.jpg

When you remove the top of the 1200, the 900 is the same, but got no experience of the 1100, you basically have it secured with 8 screws on the inside of the 1200 around the 200mm fan. Remove all those, pull the top towards the front of the case, and it should clip out. Only comes forward an inch or so. Dont forget to remove the earthing wire which is secured to the top of the inside of the case just before your HDD cages. Its a small wire, easy to miss and break. Speaking of which, the bracket took up the space where the earthing wire is secured, so had to make another securing point for it. Simple enough, a quick hole with a drill and the screw and wire reseated in that hole.

I then measured out the best placement for the rad. There is not that much room funnily enough. You need to be able to allow the top to slip back into its slots, be able to secure the fan back into place and the top HDD cage will be useless, hence why I made brackets to fit the HDDs in. I pushed it towards the rear of the case so I could fit a UV cathode tube in and hide it from view.

Should you stick with your case? Looking at your pictures, she seems big enough, I think with a bit of modding, it would be fine. The issue I see with your 200mm fan is that it sticks out from the top of your case, whereas the 1200 fan runs flush with the inside top of the case.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorry for delay all, real life has taken priority. Hopefully going to be able to do some of this after tomorrow and into the weekend.

I am looking at the partition within the case as well as mounting the HDD's sideways to give more room and provide a cleaner look.

Associate
OP
Ok, so HDD's remounted and rewired. Mounted them sideways. Funnily enough, the case fits a normal 3.5 HDD perfectly sideways with only literally millimetres of play on either side.

So, padded that out with a bit of sticky foam tape, cut holes for the power and data sata connectors and mounted it in, along with rubber u channel trim on the guide channels of the original HDD cages to stop vibration and noise. All is well so far. Added bonus, is the extra room inside of the main case.

Before:

IMAG1420_zps1c6f1298.jpg

After:
IMAG1424_zpsf1b181c0.jpg

IMAG1428_zpsee0330d7.jpg

Next, is the interior partition

Associate
OP
My bad, I'm not really good at build logs.

The harddrives fit into the front trays sideways with only millimetres to spare on each side.

IMAG1434_zpsc4ffcad1.jpg

IMAG1429_zps23d3b052.jpg

Just an old drive showing how tightly it fits naturally.

They are being anchored by resting on the HDD bay guides designed by Antec. On those guides, I have just put a bit of uchannel tubing on to prevent any vibrations and to dampen any noise. The green tape you can see, is just that sort of. Its double sided foam tape which I used to make up the few millimetres gap. The green part is the bit of double sided tape you need to pull off to expose the sticky layer. I had the one side stuck to the side of the HDD, and the other side, with the green tape layer still on. You have to force the HDD's in and out with quite a bit of force. They are in there tight and snug. I have since tidied up the green tape, so you cant see it now, even though its behind the front bezel which I made anyways.

IMAG1440_zps492f653b.jpg

With the drives turned sideways, I had to dremel out access to allow the power and data cables to be fitted.

IMAG1460_zpsa91cfef0.jpg

Had to move the one sata data connector down to prevent the cabling from bending too much. Pardon the blue electrical tape. Ran out of black. Il be doing a neater job of it later.

IMAG1463_zpsd6ab8950.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom