My BK XXLS400 developed a hum…

Caporegime
OP
I'm pretty sure I don't have that cable anywhere he used to pull it open
Oh, that’s the low pass cable.

If you loosen the screws and turn it so the amp is facing down, if you lift the wood cabinet it could just fall right out because the amp part weights about 6kg. The only thing holding it in place is the gasket which might act like glue but it really isn’t on mine. A bit of hair dryer and then pull from the cable it came away really easily. Just make sure you don’t miss a screw.

if you can’t, one of those orange Lego brick splitter thing could work.

Associate
Can anyone tell the resistance of that resistor? That had damaged together with the capacitor.

Resistor.JPG

Soldato
Also wattage looks 3W and the voltage rating is probably a DALE CPF3 (ie 500V) or possibly a CPF2 given the colour.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think that's decent from BK.
I asked BK about fitting the auto on/off feature to my XLS200 and they said it was quite a job as it would need a new transformer, amplifier board and filter board. Would I be right in assuming that's basically everything except the driver and enclosure itself then? I think it would cost probably several years worth of just leaving it constantly on. It consumes 15watts idle when not in use. < EDIT: At 30p/kwh it would be £39 a year 24/7. >

Can anyone else think of a way I can get a smart plug to turn it on if my TV and/or amp is on? Maybe using the IFTTT stuff?

Failing that, I could just set it to be on during X hours of the day on a schedule. At the moment I just lean down and turn it on, but it's annoying doing that all the time and every time I come into the room to watch something and someone has already turned the TV on, they are sitting there watching without the sub on! I mean come on fam, do you even have ears... jeez. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I think that's decent from BK.
I asked BK about fitting the auto on/off feature to my XLS200 and they said it was quite a job as it would need a new transformer, amplifier board and filter board. Would I be right in assuming that's basically everything except the driver and enclosure itself then? I think it would cost probably several years worth of just leaving it constantly on. It consumes 15watts idle when not in use. < EDIT: At 30p/kwh it would be £39 a year 24/7. >

Can anyone else think of a way I can get a smart plug to turn it on if my TV and/or amp is on? Maybe using the IFTTT stuff?

Failing that, I could just set it to be on during X hours of the day on a schedule. At the moment I just lean down and turn it on, but it's annoying doing that all the time and every time I come into the room to watch something and someone has already turned the TV on, they are sitting there watching without the sub on! I mean come on fam, do you even have ears... jeez. :)

Soldato
Yeah I have a load of smart plugs already. No issue with using one. I'm trying to think of a way of capturing my TV/AVR turn on event, so I can then get a smart plug to turn on the Sub.

Soldato
Soldato

?

Hmm...interesting. You've just helped me realize my Yamaha RXV765 has a 12v trigger out which would work perfectly with that slave thing. Trouble is, the sub is the complete other side of the room and the route to do the cable was long and now under carpet. Don't really fancy running a 12v trigger all the way around the room next to the sub cable. Perhaps I could get it to power something else up, to then be detected, and then turn on the smart plug for the sub. It's going to cost me more in energy cost to do this than just leave it on probably! :cry:

EDIT: Wait, someone must have made a 12v wireless 2 way trigger?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just to add regarding BK's incredible aftercare, my Gemini 2 (purchased new in 2009!) stopped working at the end of 2021. I emailed for an out-of-warranty quote to fix it and was told "can't be certain without fully testing, but even if we swap every capacitor, it won't be more than £50 +p&p".

We moved shortly after and the subwoofer got put into our storage room whilst we worked on the house. Just about finished the lounge (hidden 7.1 cables under flooring and up to ceiling) and remembered I needed to send the sub off for repair...

...a quick email back to Tom at BK Electric and he said "sure, send it off".

Two days later I received a PayPal invoice for £49.96, to include return DHL postage. Capacitors were buggered, but I was told it was far quicker/simpler to just replace the whole board, at no extra charge.

I don't know of any other company that would stand by it's product over ten years past it's warranty expired, then replace £300 worth of electronics for pretty much the cost of return postage.

Safe to say I won't ever consider another brand, when the time comes to upgrade.

Soldato
Wow really good CS.

Would have bought subs from them if they released high end models 15"+ for main system.
Their Double Gem is 2x 10", which they claim is like a 14" unit, from £409.

Or their beastly Monolith Plus has a 12" driver (from £640 new) - my friend has two in his home cinema he swiped in an eBay sale, with Miller & Kriesel surrounds (a 9.4.2 layout!) and sounds absolutely incredible.

(Not a salesman, just happy to recommend them)

Soldato
Their Double Gem is 2x 10", which they claim is like a 14" unit, from £409.

Or their beastly Monolith Plus has a 12" driver (from £640 new) - my friend has two in his home cinema he swiped in an eBay sale, with Miller & Kriesel surrounds (a 9.4.2 layout!) and sounds absolutely incredible.

(Not a salesman, just happy to recommend them)

yeah good, but not quite high end enough, had a SVS Ultra sub and wanted to upgrade from that...

Would have bought the Monoprice 16" subs but they weren't availble.

Soldato
No idea what happened, watching a movie and after a loud section in a movie I started hearing a weird hum from the sub, I’ve disconnected all the wires and it is still present.

Doing a bit of reading it sounds like it could be either a transformer hum or a dead capacitor or solder joint…

I got it like 15+ years ago so way out of warranty and honestly with its weight, not sure how I could send it back for repair. I have emailed BK to see what they say anyhow.

What would you guys do? And anyone have experience of this here?
I'm in the same boat. Sub hasn't worked for around 18 months I really should see about fixing it!

Back
Top Bottom