My D90 is Broken...

Soldato
And I don't know what to do. My photography was never really serious, but I enjoyed using my SLR on trips abroad and for general wildlife. The images it took were stunning. I still have a Sigma 10-20 and a Nikkor 70-300 VR which I love. However now I have a child I don't want to lug kit round as well as children's things, and a lot of my photos these days are of my daughter or work related things so I'm thinking if shifting my requirements.
I want a camera I can use over Wi-Fi/BT/NFC so it can go straight to social media so have shortlisted a couple of cameras for a £600 budget:
Sony A6300 - Well built, light, has WiFi, 4k video and you can get some decent primes. However I can't afford a good zoom or wide lens to go with it.
Nikkon D7200 - a good step up from my D90 and I can use my existing lens, but it's big, heavy and potentially overkill for what I'm doing now.
Fujifilm X100T - cheaper than the F and had loads of features I want, but is fixed lens.
Fujifilm XT20 - similar to the A6300 but with a better lens selection.
Sony Alpha A7 - full frame, better selection of lenses, I can potentially use an adapter for my Nikkon lenses (?) but less features than the A6300 i.e no 4k video.

Please help. I want a new camera before my holiday at the end of the month.

Associate
what about the a6000 rather than the a6300? there is cashback on most sony cameras currently

*i see you mention 4k video. is this a must?

Soldato
OP
what about the a6000 rather than the a6300? there is cashback on most sony cameras currently

*i see you mention 4k video. is this a must?
The A6300 has the cash back discounted already in Heathrow duty free, so it's around £650. I thought about the A6000 but figured the A6300 offers quite a lot more features not not a lot extra in price. I have an AS1000V 4K action cam so it's not essential but would be a nice touch.

Associate
The A6300 has the cash back discounted already in Heathrow duty free, so it's around £650. I thought about the A6000 but figured the A6300 offers quite a lot more features not not a lot extra in price. I have an AS1000V 4K action cam so it's not essential but would be a nice touch.

I ask as i am in a similar dilemma deciding between the a6000 and a6300 as i dont think i need video. the price difference between the two could go towards a nice prime lens

Soldato
I've never really been taken with bridge cameras. For their size, I'd rather upgrade the SLR.
I actually know nature photographer who anymore doesn't touch his Canon gear because RX10 IV does mostly same in lot more carrying friendly package. (though uses lenses for video shooting with GH4)
Anyway if wanting camera which can be easily carried with lots of random, and likely easily increasing amount, of other stuff then system cameras are in major problems.
M4/3 being closest to offering compact body+lens combinations.

Maybe something like Panasonic TZ200 would work?
For compact 1" sensor camera it has quite good optics range.

Caporegime
If size is a concern you should really think about sense-size, as that i what ultimately will dictate the lens sizes and the bulk of the system. Many of the Sony and Fuji lenses are just as big if not bigger than the Canon and Nikon equivalents.

I highly recommend m43 cameras form Olympus and Panasonic. Most of the lenses are far smaller than competitors at equivalent focal lengths. The smaller bodies and lenses end up pocket sized.I like my little EMP-2 shoved in a pocket when hiking with kids etc.

Soldato
OP
I think I'm going to buy a D7200 and decent prime lens. If there's not much size difference I don't see the point, especially when I have a couple of good lenses and know how to use the Nikon.

Caporegime
I think I'm going to buy a D7200 and decent prime lens. If there's not much size difference I don't see the point, especially when I have a couple of good lenses and know how to use the Nikon.
Did you get one? I have the D7200. Bloody love it. Image quality is second to none and has the feel of a pro camera at consumer prices.

Caporegime
No, I am bad with decisions. I've decided to look at something like a used X100T or MFT GX9 for my holiday and then buy the D7200 at a later date.

The GX9 seems really poor value over the GX85. The only main difference is the 20MP sensor which doesn’t make a huge difference and the tilty EVF. It’s shameful the GX9 is rocking the same terrible EVF with cheap optics at nearly double the price of the GX85.

The GX85 goes on offer regularly too.

Soldato
OP
The GX9 seems really poor value over the GX85. The only main difference is the 20MP sensor which doesn’t make a huge difference and the tilty EVF. It’s shameful the GX9 is rocking the same terrible EVF with cheap optics at nearly double the price of the GX85.

The GX85 goes on offer regularly too.
I was thinking about the GX80/5 but it's a fair but bigger than what I want it for and would defeat the purpose of having a small camera for travel.

Edit - I'm thinking of the G80/5. I'll have a look at the GX85. Is it the older model of the GX9?

Soldato
I've a D700 and a D810, the camera I use the most with my kids, holidays and day to day is my Samsung S7, mobile phone camera's despite the issues with zoom can produce cracking images.

Personally, if I was you, mobile for family, second hand D90 to replace your existing one.

Soldato
OP
Still haven't made a decision on this, but am focussing on the G80 or A6300. I bought a DJI Osmo mobile 2, which is awesome so I doubt I'll be doing any video work with the camera now.

Soldato
OP
If size is a concern you should really think about sense-size, as that i what ultimately will dictate the lens sizes and the bulk of the system. Many of the Sony and Fuji lenses are just as big if not bigger than the Canon and Nikon equivalents.

I highly recommend m43 cameras form Olympus and Panasonic. Most of the lenses are far smaller than competitors at equivalent focal lengths. The smaller bodies and lenses end up pocket sized.I like my little EMP-2 shoved in a pocket when hiking with kids etc.
You're definitely right. Handling the m43 cameras is such a joy after using DSLR's. I have quite big hands though so the G80 style bodies is about as small as I'm comfortable with. It's the extra grip that does it for me.

Soldato
I went for an X100T after barely using my 5D2 as most of the time I'd use the 40mm prime, so figured the fixed lens aspect shouldn't bother me that much, and it doesn't.
Like you I only really use the camera for family occasions so the small footprint is such a benefit. Yes the image quality isn't as good as 5D2 but I wasn't expecting it to be, and it's plenty good enough.
Also, the film simulations are really good and cut down on the need to process if you get the composition and lighting correct when shooting.

One downside is the video isn't the greatest quality (I barely use it though). Another is shooting wide open at f/2 isn't the sharpest, but adequate.

When I was deciding, it was between the X-T1 and X100T for me, because of having the versatility of having a wide angle lens and the 35mm f/1.4 if I went for the X-T1, but went for the smaller X100T in the end.
I do miss large apertures on FF a bit though.

Caporegime
You're definitely right. Handling the m43 cameras is such a joy after using DSLR's. I have quite big hands though so the G80 style bodies is about as small as I'm comfortable with. It's the extra grip that does it for me.

I find the m43 system just a great compliemnt to a full DSLR outfit. The size and weight difference is massive but the image quality, focus, features and performance is not such a big step backwards. All the APS-C mirrorless camera are relatively nice but the lenses are big and heavy or missing entirely. They are a kind of middle ground

Soldato
OP
I find the m43 system just a great compliemnt to a full DSLR outfit. The size and weight difference is massive but the image quality, focus, features and performance is not such a big step backwards. All the APS-C mirrorless camera are relatively nice but the lenses are big and heavy or missing entirely. They are a kind of middle ground
I handled an Olympus OMD EM10 Mk3 at the weekend and it was lovely. I think this with a pancake type lens would make the perfect travel camera for me.

Back
Top Bottom