My domain name anf freehostia

Soldato
I've got a domain name registed with a 123-reg, and have just added the name to the "hosted domain name" section of the control panel on the freehostia site, where I manage my freehostia account. This has created a folder that I can access and edit which is wonderful. The thing is, I don't actually understand WHY it is working. How does anyone know I actually own that domain?

Cheers

Soldato
OP
At some point, DNS records have been pointed at the Freehostia account.

I did try to do that last night, but changed it back this morning. The freehostia site has a checker to see if DNS is pointing to their space and it says it is not. Tried asking their tech help and they just keep telling me to delete the domain if it's not mine !
http://ojhaslam.co.uk/freehostia-test.txt

That's a TXT file I've made to show them I can actually do it.

Caporegime
It isn't your browser, but your OS that'll cache DNS results.
In Windows, start, run, cmd, ipconfig /flushdns should flush the DNS cache.

Associate
Chances are you need to change the nameservers for your domain to Freehostias. You do this via the 123-reg control panel, then give it a day or so for the DNS change to propogate.

Freehostias nameservers are:

dns1.freehostia.com
dns2.freehostia.com

Soldato
OP
Chances are you need to change the nameservers for your domain to Freehostias. You do this via the 123-reg control panel, then give it a day or so for the DNS change to propogate.

Freehostias nameservers are:

dns1.freehostia.com
dns2.freehostia.com

Yeah that's what I did last night but changed it back to the default ones this morning.

So we reckon that my PC is running off DNS records from inbetween?

EDIT

Flushed the DNS and I get the place holder now too.

Soldato
OP
Going by a post on their forums you definitely need to have your domain use their nameservers, as you would with any addon domain type arrangement like this.

http://forum.freehostia.com/viewtopic.php?t=8602

Yeah cheers. 1230reg has options for changing DNS settings and also name servers. I've chenged the name servers as DNS settings has loads of stuff I've never heard of ! Like I say, did this last night then un-did it. Suspect that's where the cached DNS records came from. Didn't even realise it was working.

Associate
Yes it's working here too, so the DNS change has certainly propogated as far as my ISPs DNS servers. Leave it set that way and it'll all be good.

Soldato
OP
Cool, seems to be working fine now then. With regards to my email forwarding, am I right in thinking that the settings from within 123-reg will no stop working? I've set up forwarding from within freehostia too, so hopefully I won't even notice.

Associate
As long as you leave the MX records for the domain set at the default ones for 123-reg the email forwarding will still be in effect. You don't have to worry about anything at the Freehostia end.

Associate
Sorry, I'm wrong on the email bit. You will need to set that up at Freehostias end, any email forwarding you configured with 123-reg will be getting bypassed as the domain isn't using their nameservers. Not sure what options Freehostia give you.

Soldato
OP
Sorry, I'm wrong on the email bit. You will need to set that up at Freehostias end, any email forwarding you configured with 123-reg will be getting bypassed as the domain isn't using their nameservers. Not sure what options Freehostia give you.

Missed your post cos I obviously wasn't getting email notification ;)

Anyways, I set the forwarding up at freehostia but it still wasn't working. Went to bed in the hop it was just taking its time updating. Woke up about 3am and seeing as the iPod touch was at the side of the bed I checked my email. All seems to be working now ! I'll kill the 123 forwarding so as to be sure it's freehostia that everything's coming through.

Back
Top Bottom