My electricity meter is still reading 00000 due to Solar panels!!

Soldato
It always surprises me about the lack of solar panel talk on these forums. I would have thought the tech nature of the users here would have meant lots of technology talk like solar power. I kind of wish I installed panels years ago after seeing how good they are. After recording the daily energy production into a spreadsheet it looks like the summer months will cover my electricity bill all year around. If this works out no more electricity bill for 20years and the profit should cover a decent part of the gas bill.

Today I had to have a new meter fitted due to my old one counting backwards pretty badly. Even with my computer on playing games and projector, kettle boiling and everything else my new meter is still reading 00000. Way to go solar power. My geometer says the panels are producing almost 3 kw of power which seems to be enough to power the entire house in the day.

Soldato
Get your meter checked. The panels are great etc, but they wouldn't produce enough to power the whole house without using a little from the grid.

Unless of course you come back and tell us you have field full of them.

Soldato
Feel like I missed the boat with these :(

There have been a few large threads about solar panels in the past. they might have been moved to home and garden.

Soldato
Worse "hey guys look at me not having to pay leccy bills" thread ever!!! :p

Makes sense to use them, but not everyone can afford them. Not everyone lives in a building where they can have them. Not everyone has a roof facing the right way. Not everyone likes the look of them.

I think we would have them, but we cant afford them and the projected annual reductions in the FIT scheme means the long term investment may be a turkey.

If we had the money, there are more pressing issues with our house we would like to sort. More power to those who can have them though. I am glad it is working out for you. :cool:

Mat

Mat

Soldato
it looks like the summer months will cover my electricity bill all year around.

Assuming we get as much sunlight, every year, as we have so far this year. That 100% 'off-grid' reading will only go one way...

How long are they expected to last at current output levels? Wont they need replacing at some point?

Soldato
I remember someone telling me that the current (although this was a little while ago) generation of solar panels aren't very efficient but as the tech progresses (and prices reduce) it'll become a much better option?

It's something i'd love to have, hell i'd have one of those wind turbines in the garden if I could :p But it'd have to be worthwhile.

Soldato
OP
Get your meter checked. The panels are great etc, but they wouldn't produce enough to power the whole house without using a little from the grid.

Unless of course you come back and tell us you have field full of them.
I did the power company last came around this morning. Every meter I have had has been the same. My old meter counted backwards which means I produced more energy then I used up. The new meter just sits at 00000 so far although I am sure it will count up at night. It looks like the panels produce enough to power for the entire house in the day. Even with things like the computer and Kettle on. I have a standard house roof size system. Solar panels have improved a lot in recently years. The price has gone massively and the energy has gone up. I heard for the first time at one point this year Germany produced 50% of its daily power from solar. Now the price is reasonable solar seems worth while. A few years ago the system I have now would have been £11,000+.

Do you know how much electricity you're putting back into the grid per day/week?
Yes the geo mater records everything to an SD card which I can upload to the computer into a spreadsheet. These following numbers are summer months only. Daily lowest production 4.1 kW. Average daily 15 kW. Peak daily 27.3 kw. Average produced a week 105 Kw of power.

Assuming we get as much sunlight, every year, as we have so far this year. That 100% 'off-grid' reading will only go one way...

How long are they expected to last at current output levels? Wont they need replacing at some point?

I agree it wont be 100% off grid for long its just nice to see while it lasts. To answer your question 25year performance guarantee for a power output of 80% was what they told me. Apparently panels from 70 years ago are still going strong. No moving parts in the panels so in theory they never need replacing although power does drop off over time. Most panels are designed to survive in sand storm conditions. The Inverter needs replacing every 10 to 20 years depends on luck.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How many panels have you got, all mounted on the roof, cost?
16 panels for a 4 Kw system not directly facing south so I lose an estimated 10% max power. £6250 to install with extra gadget http://www.buypvdirect.co.uk/image/cache/data/Products/GEO/GEO-Solar-PV-Display-500x500.png it records data to an SD card and is great for seeing how much you produce. It also helps with routine changes like only turn the washing machine on when the tick shows on the geo meter. The tick means the panels are producing more than 1 Kw of power.

Soldato
No meaningful comparisons can be made until you tell us the costs to install the system, the ongoing maintenance costs and expected lifespan of individual parts.

Only then can their true value and time to break even can be calculated.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
How long will it take you to break even on the initial outlay and are you planning on staying in the house that long?

Man of Honour
I don't understand why so many new builds do not have them as part of the construction. It is definitely something I'd be interested in installing - sure the outlay is quite expensive, but once installed, you can either keep it or pass onto the next owner. Irrespective of whether or not you get a ROI, it's helping us produce less electricity = less waste. I'm all for it.

Soldato
I don't understand why so many new builds do not have them as part of the construction. It is definitely something I'd be interested in installing - sure the outlay is quite expensive, but once installed, you can either keep it or pass onto the next owner. Irrespective of whether or not you get a ROI, it's helping us produce less electricity = less waste. I'm all for it.

Probably precicely due to cost. The bulder wants cheapest construction possible for maximum profit.

The builder does not care less what your electricity costs are, as long as they build a house in line with current regulations.

Government will be reluctent to enact compulsary solar panels on new builds because it will drive up costs, something the nation and its people can ill afford.

Man of Honour
Fair points but can we afford not to start embracing sustainable sources of energy? The cost of a building company to mass install/purchase would probably work out to be relatively small, and they could be incentivised by funding or offsetting of costs?

I completely understand and agree with what you're saying, but I sort of feel as though we have a responsibility to try and make this a de facto mode rather than something we begrudgingly do. Imagine if the millions of homes and office blocks were to knock even 10% of electricity demand off the grid. It would have a massively positive impact (less so for energy companies admittedly, but then they wouldn't need as much resourcing to keep up with demand).

It's a not something that can be solved over night I admit.

Soldato
Fair points but can we afford not to start embracing sustainable sources of energy? The cost of a building company to mass install/purchase would probably work out to be relatively small, and they could be incentivised by funding or offsetting of costs?

I completely understand and agree with what you're saying, but I sort of feel as though we have a responsibility to try and make this a de facto mode rather than something we begrudgingly do. Imagine if the millions of homes and office blocks were to knock even 10% of electricity demand off the grid. It would have a massively positive impact (less so for energy companies admittedly, but then they wouldn't need as much resourcing to keep up with demand).

It's a not something that can be solved over night I admit.

I've often wondered this myself, it would make a massive difference in the long run.

I'd be up for getting these installed, but the initial investment is not easy to come by!

Back
Top Bottom