My first built PC

Associate
Hello, I'm seeking some professional advice. I'm building (or rather, trying to) my first PC.

Currently using:
-B450M DS3H motherboard
-HX430C15PB3K2/32 RAM (HyperX Predator 3000Mhz, DDR4, 2x16GB)
-AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
-700W power supply (ATX A-700BR)

(All components used basing on Qualified Vendor List found on Gigabyte website)

Apparently this MoBo has built in graphics, so an external card is not a must.

The PC is starting, I can see the MoBo and RAM light up, all the fans are spinning, but there is no video output at all.
The internal speaker makes 1 long and 3 short beeps.

As found online, this error code most likely indicates a memory error - I tried shuffling the memory around, even used different RAM, but still getting the same error code. What could be the possible reason and how do I make it work properly?

Last edited:
Associate
Welcome to the forum. You will need a graphics card as the cpu does not have an integrated gpu. Either that or get a cpu such as a 2200g, 3200g

Associate
OP
Thank you for your response. Only just installed my old graphics card - a Palit GF9800GT 1024M, I'm now getting a single beep upon booting the PC, but there is still no video output - neither from the motherboard HDMI slot, nor from VGA graphics card slot.

The graphics card was originally a component of my old PC, but it is fully operational.

Soldato
Thank you for your response. Only just installed my old graphics card - a Palit GF9800GT 1024M, I'm now getting a single beep upon booting the PC, but there is still no video output - neither from the motherboard HDMI slot, nor from VGA graphics card slot.

The graphics card was originally a component of my old PC, but it is fully operational.

that graphics card was released in 2008 and whilst it should work, it may well be the fault. (forget the motherboard outputs you cant use them at all with that CPU) . I would suggest you try a newer graphics card. also do you know the model of the PSU as well.

Associate
OP
Yes, the power supply model is ATX A-700BR.

Is there any specific card you could recommend for my setup for a reasonable price (let's say around 100-200$)? Sorry about that, but I'm completely new to this...

Soldato
Soldato
Yes, the power supply model is ATX A-700BR.

Is there any specific card you could recommend for my setup for a reasonable price (let's say around 100-200$)? Sorry about that, but I'm completely new to this...

graphics card is going to be tricky there is not a lot out there new at the budget end. have a look around for GeForce GTX 1650 , or second hand GTX 1060, GTX 970, GTX 980

Associate
OP
I suppose I will get a newer graphics card first of all, a new PSU if it doesn't help. If I understand correctly, there is no possibility of incompatibility between graphics card and other members, right?

Associate
OP
Im sorry to say whist that might not be the issue, its complete garbage, and you should throw it in the bin right this minute :) @pastymuncher assistance required here matey

you shouldnt skimp on the PSU , i would be heading for something like this.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £79.85 (includes shipping: £9.90)

I have now ordered the power supply you recommended plus a Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti StormX 4GB GDDR5 graphics card. I really hope this works. All the parts will be brand new and as far as I understand it, they should work together just fine.

Soldato
I have now ordered the power supply you recommended plus a Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti StormX 4GB GDDR5 graphics card. I really hope this works. All the parts will be brand new and as far as I understand it, they should work together just fine.

i probably woulndt have bought a 1050ti new, that card is quite old now.. you didnt mention waht the PC would be used for?

Man of Honour
Im sorry to say whist that might not be the issue, its complete garbage, and you should throw it in the bin right this minute :) @pastymuncher assistance required here matey

you shouldnt skimp on the PSU,

@Kurgen You have already done me proud young Padawan and the op has seen sense. :D It is absolute garbage though!! I agree with you about not buying a 1050ti brand new as well but too late now I guess.

Associate
OP
Thank you, that PSU was a good advice - the PC now boots properly and there is no video output issues (still using my old graphics card as the new one is still on the way). Still, the computer can't start the system due to a system error (according to the message it ws not closed correctly, most likely because during the building process it was turned on and force-turned off multiple times). It starts up and auto recovery and asks if I want it to recover an older system copy, but I can't press on anything. The mouse and keyboard are both connected and I am able to use them in BIOS, so I am sure they're not an issue. What should I do to get it running? Did I miss anything I was supposed to do? Is it possible, that I am seeing this because of the new hardware installed?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No, it's the old disk storage, used with the previous hardware. At this point I think the only way to reinstall the system would be via an USB Flash Drive, right? Also if I wanted a system upgrade (currently Windows 7, but not gonna lie, I've lost my installation disk, so might as well get an upgrade to Windows 10 and have a 'fresh start') do I do this the same way? What is going to happen to the files stored on this disk when the system is reinstalled?

Soldato
you "should" generally re install windows when building a new system, Windows 10 generally will work but a clean install is best. Windows 7 doenst like being thrown straight into a new system and not only that i dont think its supported anyway. get a windows 10 key from the bay and download the windows 10 installer tool to create this onto a USB stick (or ask a friend if you dont have a working PC, or order a stick with it pre-loaded)

is your old drive a Mechanical Hard Drive? its almost essential you install at least windows onto an solid state drive SSD either a standard SATA or M.2 a 240gb one is fine if budget is tight but most people now use M.2 and SATA SSD for OS and Games, and just HDD for backups and large data storage

. the M.2 plug directly in the the motherboard. the WD blue PCIE one is best, followed by the WD green SATA m.2 and then the 2.5" SATA SSD. these are just examples. and clearly a larger drive will mean you can install games there too if required. I suggest you unplug the old HDD at least while you install windows. After you may have to set boot priority to the new drive to stop it trying to boot windows 7, once in windows format the old drive if you need to you might have to go ingot disk manager to remove the partitions (be careful) , making sure you back up anything else first

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £108.27 (includes shipping: £9.30)​

Associate
OP
Yes, my old drive is a Mechanical Hard Drive. If I understand you correctly, I should:
1) Get an installer tool onto my USB stick/get a pre-loaded stick;
2) Disconnect my hard drive and set up the system launch from external drive instead of my hard drive in BIOS;
3) Install the system on an SSD;
4) Plug in my hard drive and the system should be up and running.
Is this right?

Also the blue SSD seems pretty affordable, I'll definitely get one. My new graphics will arrive in a week so I suppose the whole thing will have to wait if I don't want to risk having the same issue again if I switch the graphics on my new build after installing the system?

Soldato
Yes, my old drive is a Mechanical Hard Drive. If I understand you correctly, I should:
1) Get an installer tool onto my USB stick/get a pre-loaded stick; YES. Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)
2) Disconnect my hard drive and set up the system launch from external drive instead of my hard drive in BIOS; YES, DISCONECT HDD AND INSTALL SSD/M.2
3) Install the system on an SSD; YES
4) Plug in my hard drive and the system should be up and running. YES- MAKE SURE IN THE BIOS WHATEVER SSD YOU INSTALLED WINDOWS 10 ON IS PRIMARY BOOT DEVICE
Is this right?

Also the blue SSD seems pretty affordable YEP NOT EXPENSIVE ANY MORE, GET LARGER IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT, I'll definitely get one. My new graphics will arrive in a week so I suppose the whole thing will have to wait if I don't want to risk having the same issue again if I switch the graphics on my new build after installing the system?
, YOU CAN SWITCH GRAPHICS CARDS NO PROBLEM, JUST DO AN NVIDIA DRIVER UPDATE AFTER YOU INSTALL THE NEW ONE

Associate
OP
Okay, at last got all my parts. I've put everything together, installed a new system, got all the necessary drivers and the PC is up and running.

Final build:

-B450M DS3H motherboard; ~£60
-HX430C15PB3K2/32 RAM (HyperX Predator 3000Mhz, DDR4, 2x16GB); ~£130
-HX429C15PB3AK2/16 RAM (HyperX Predator 2933Mhz, DDR4, 2x8GB); ~£100
-AMD Ryzen 7 2700X; ~£150
-Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti StormX 4GB GDDR5 graphics card; ~£150
-TX550M power supply; ~£70
-WDS500G2B0C SSD (500GB); ~£60
-my old, 1TB HDD with its label missing. N/A

Total build cost: around £720 + system licence cost.

The power supply turned out to be the issue - definitely not recommend getting an ATX A-700BR.

As you guys mentioned before, I could have gotten a better, second-hand graphics card, although this one's performance is still perfectly fine - it can easily handle keeping stable 60FPS in more needy games on highest settings, such as GTA5, Neverwinter, Skyrim TES5, League of Legends, Assassin's Creed series etc. The system itself is surprisingly responsive and works smoothly, the SSD is doing great.

Thank you very much for your help @Kurgen and @tonys, I really appreciate your patience. Some silly questions were asked, I'm aware of that.

Thread solved.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom