My game is extremely laggy, but I've met all requirements, can someone help?

Associate
My Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY is very very laggy and I have no idea why :confused: I bought it from steam just recently. Some levels are occasionally slowish whilst others are so laggy its unplayable, hope someone can shed a light on why this is so :confused:

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 2.67GHz
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 4050MB
Display Mode: 1280x1024
RAM: 8GB
Game Settings:
Details Level: High
Hardware Accelerated PhysX: Normal

"Can You Run It" results:

If I've missed out any information, please let me know and I'll add it, hope you can help :)

Associate
OP
Yeah to my knowledge it's only this game that's causing me problems, my other games don't lag and run usually quite smoothly, my battlefield 3 for instance is very smooth at high detail, but Arkham Asylum is very laggy for some reason

Soldato
Disable Physx it needs major GPU power. Also make sure you have the update # 2 from GFWL as this patches the game to make it smoother FPS wise.

Associate
OP
At Moothead and captain, I've turned off PhysX, it's slightly better, better than before when it was unplayable, but its still laggy

To AWPC, I'll download th update #2 now and I'll get back to you, hopefully it'll work

Soldato
Are your drivers up to date? It's strange you're having problems with Arkham Aslyum. City is the buggier of the two releases, albeit far better than it once was.

Associate
OP
My drivers are up to date yes, but there is this message that pops up every time I start Arkham Asylum telling me that my drivers are actually out of date, also my Left4Dead2 game does the same thing. But thats the thing, when I first saw the message I updated my graphics driver from the Nvidia website. My L4D2 works fine with no lag, so I thought it was a steam thing, but Arkham Asylum even with PhyX off is still quite laggy :-/

Here are the "not up to date" messages:
Batman AA:

L4D2:

My driver version:

Associate
OP
Also I can't seem to find an update#2 for Arkham Asylum, where can I download this update? I could only find a Patch v1.1 is that the one you were talking about AWPC?

Also I have the GOTY version, does that make a difference or do I still need to download the patch v1.1?

Soldato
Also I can't seem to find an update#2 for Arkham Asylum, where can I download this update? I could only find a Patch v1.1 is that the one you were talking about AWPC?

Also I have the GOTY version, does that make a difference or do I still need to download the patch v1.1?
Sorry mate I was thinking of Arkham City!! BAA GOTY has no patches whatsoever it comes pre-patched. Your issue must be drivers/hardware related not the actual game.

Try this:

1: Download & install the newist DirectX 9.0c from MS then reboot.

2: Run the games launcher (right click the game icon & select the launch option) then disable all AA from it & PhysX Off as your GPU is not quite fast enough for that.

3: Try then running the ingame benchmark from the main ingame menu & see what results you get.

For instance on my rigs I can run GAA GOTY fully maxxed out on either a GTX580 or GTX480 with 1.5GB VRam its smooth but does have slight micro stutter now & again due to PhysX really needs a dedicated GPU.

Man of Honour
Make sure you have vsync turned of as well.

As mentioned PhysX makes a MASSIVE difference in this game, I think my framerate increased by over 100% when I switched it off, but if you are still having trouble with it disabled that is concerning.

Soldato
My Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY is very very laggy and I have no idea why :confused: I bought it from steam just recently. Some levels are occasionally slowish whilst others are so laggy its unplayable, hope someone can shed a light on why this is so :confused:)
Have you tryed running the benchmark in the option menu ??

Soldato
I think the question everyone has missed is just which one of the many definitions of "laggy" is the OP experiencing.

Is it low fps, either constantly or just occasional slow downs? Is the game hanging at times? Is it unresponsive to key presses?

Associate
OP
Since I've turned off PhysX and installed the "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" that Noel Gallagher suggested, it's been working ok. When I say lag, I mean low fps, usually it would be occasionally when fighting or entering a new room and sometimes it would be constantly, so much so that it would become unplayable.

So far with PhysX turned off and having DirectX Runtime installed, its been working fine so thank you for everyone who's helped me :)

Also, to Nodiggidy123 and AWPC, I have DirectX 11 installed at the moment but if my game does start to lag and become slowish again (low fps), then I'll download and install DirectX 9.0c from the link you have provided.

So to make it clear for others who have the same problem, the problem was that my CPU or GPU couldn't handle PhysX being turned on?

Thanks again for all the help from everyone :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom