My GeIL 2GB PC2-6400 CAS4 Dual Channel Kit (MY-058-GL) Overclocking Experience.......

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Due to the popularity of these kits and many people wondering what kind of overclock these memory chips can hit I shall be testing a pair in the OcUK Conroe X6800 ES Bad Axe system I tested a couple of weeks ago.

Lets see if this memory can do 1000MHz+ Stable. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Right the Intel Bad Axe motherboard is not good enough to cope with this memory:-
OcUK_GeilDDR2.jpg

No matter what I do slacker timings, one stick I cannot push past the this FSB stable which is pretty common on the Intel 975X Bad Axe motherboard.

I think you will agree this is incredible memory as its running at its specified timings but at over PC8500 speeds, in fact well over PC8500 speeds. Its running at 1150MHz+ at CAS4-4-4-4 timings with just 2.2v.

I personally believe that in a top specification mainboard with good voltage upto 2.5v this memory will see 1200MHz+ at CAS4 and well beyond that at slacker timings.

If you thinking of buying memory this has to be it, why buy OCZ, Corsair PC8000/PC8500 at £300 when you can have this superior memory for a little over £100. :)

Get buying folks! I've just ordered another 2000 kits from GeIL to make sure we don't run out of this super duper memory, bargain of the century I think. Remember its compatible with all the Intel DDR2 motherboads and the AMD nForce based DDR2 mainboards too. Happy days!!

OcUK Staff
OP
Super Tigers said:
Swipe a ds3 from the warehouse and slap f4e bios on it and a 6300. That setup is what a lot of guys and gals on this forum have, probably the best bang for buck setup since the days of the DLT3C 1700s. I am seriously tempted by this ram, just need some ram that will 900-1000mhz in my DS3 and I have an 6300 that will happily run at 3.0ghz without any increased vcore :D

Go on Gibbo, get a 'test sample' out the warehouse :D

Rob H

This memory does 1200MHz with ease, so what you waiting for?

OcUK Staff
OP
Concorde Rules said:
Hmm, do all kits do this? If you test 5/10 kits and they do the same results then im sold :p

From that screenie its 4x512Mb? Better than 2x1Gb?

However by the 2nd week of september new, better CAS 3 mem might be out ;)

Its a 2GB Kit (2x1GB) ! :)

Its the first kit I took at the warehouse, from my years experience when you get a thousand modules all from the same batch they all overclock within 1-2% of one another. Plus I am a busy man, I don't have time to test each individual kit.

Fact is OcUK has a great price on memory, whats even more surprising is how these kits rival and out perform the far more expensive kits offered by other manufacturers which OcUK also sell. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Minstadave said:
Awesome results Gibbo, 573Mhz at 4-4-4 :eek: What a winner!

Would love to see some 2x1Gb results if you get the chance.

Hold on, it is the 2x1GB Kit !!

Thats just Sandra messing up, look at the CPU-Z screens and you can clearly see its a 1GB modules x 2. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Jabbs said:
Gibbo how do these sets run on conroe's with 4x512, i have 2x512 now is it ok too add another 2x512 and will be fine with overclocking etc.

Filling all four banks will always reduce overclocking abilities. Only way to find out is to try it. But my advice would be to sell your 2x512MB pieces and get a 2x1GB kit as that configuration will overclock better. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Pyr0m@nI@]{ said:
ah, nice one...
that would explain the high frequency at low timings then, the bad axe lowers chipset latencies with the 1333 strap.
can you see how high you can take them on the 1066 strap please?

So are you saying if I use the 1066MHz strap and just clock the FSB up more then the overall system performance will be superior?

There again saying that using the 1066MHz strap I will only be able to reach 1600MHz FSB, not so good.

As using the 1333MHz strap I can hit 1850MHz+ FSB, surely that is the much quicker option?

OcUK Staff
OP
kimandsally said:
If you can hold fire for a while- day or so if I get it going well I will come back on here, at the moment I'm reinstalling windows because it's all corrupt now from all the crashing then I'll have a minute and carry on, there's no way Geil would be selling or making duff ram it might just be a small batch :)

Its impossible to be a small batch, we had 1000 come in from the same production run, if the batch was faulty then all 1000 would be at fault. ;)

We've sold just short of 900 units and by the fact only 1-3 people have posted here with issues I am more incline to think its more down to issues with their motherboards and configurations. If people were not getting decent results with this memory these forums would have 100's of post with problems, our phone lines would be jammed and our returns would be sky high. Wheras we've heard hardly a peep which is a good thing. Plus a few of the guys who are veteran overclockers who visit the OcUK shop have had some of this stuff and are very impressed. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
mortals said:
damn, I was thinking of ordering a conroe build tonight with this ram :( only seems to be gibbo who has been able to run it over 500mhz?.
Altho there seems to be a few problems with certain mobo's and RAM, I'm to unsure what RAM and mobo to go for atm. :confused: :(

Hi there

You won't get this RAM again this cheap. The fact we've sold close to 900 units is proof this is good memory. My results alone show how good it is! :)

Our re-supply cost is increasing and as such our sale prices will increase plus as its going of promotion the price will jump back up too.

This memory is worth in the £140-£160+VAT region just like G.Skill and Corsair memory fetches. The only reason its so cheap is because OcUK is doing a good deal. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
kimandsally said:
Now you make me angry, after spending days being patient trying to fix it without slagging it off, I brought it back to the shop today and your technical department tested it while I waited and it was faulty.

So after wasting my time and a 100 mile journey you have the nerve to say issues etc, get your facts right then **** me off. :mad:

Plus if it is as good as you say it is why on the morning of testing it did you in the afternoon use Corsair for your Custom PC entry?

Don't tell me to get my facts right! :rolleyes:

First of all where have I slagged you off or personally attached you? Can you point me to this? The only person doing attacking here is you! I was clearly stating facts to yourself, if this was a faulty batch and considering we've sold 930 kits now I think we'd have a lot more than just a handful of customers with issues overclocking and ones with borked ram. So my facts of pretty spot on and please point out where I **** you off, its clearly something I have not done.

Right so you got a faulty kit, bad luck happens. Seems to me you got great service, you came to OcUK and they tested it on the spot for you, in my view thats cracking service. They confirmed its faulty and replaced on the spot all whilst you waited, thats extremely good service.

I stand by my original post, you tell me we sold now 930 kits since last Thursday, were still in single figures of people complaining about poor overclocks or had faulty ram. So if you look at that the problem/failure rate is well under 1%.

The memory is damn good, do you think the PC was working somehow by magic at 1140MHz at CAS 4-4-4-12, the screenshot proves it and the CPU-Z screeny clearly shows GeIL memory in place. This memory overclocks great when combined with the right setup and maybe it helps by the fact I've been doing this for years as the knowledge I have in overclocking does allow me to extract every last bit of performance.

After I tested this GeIL memory it was put back into stock and I thought I'd play with my PC once more with the FREE sample kit from Corsair. I did some playing and found the Corsair was able to clock nearly as high but with even more aggressive timings. Something like CAS 3-4-3-4 all the way upto 1050MHz and as such that gave the CustomPC that little boost needed. Am I gonna rave about the Corsair? Well NO, its doing what Corsair says it will do and thats run at very low latencies at high FSB's, plus the Corsair is near on impossible to get and when you do its gonna set you back over £300.

The GeIL memory is not the best, fact! However for the money it is the best, its as good as Corsair PC2-6400 C2, G.Skill HZ PC2-6400 C4 and OCZ PC2-6400 C4 parts but cost a damn site less.

So please don't come personally attacking me because you got a faulty set, out of 1000 modules there is gonna be a few duff sets of any brand of memory.

P.S. This GeIL memory is amazing, it clocks great and is an absolute bargain!! :)

OcUK Staff
OP
vocch said:
Hi....Well so far so good....well pleased with the Geil 6400....running E600 + ds4 @ 3.3 just for now as only using a Zalman...not that my temps are bad....thought i'd have a little go at super pi.

Here's what i got so far. :D

So you have the memory running at 1000MHz yes? What timings you got?

OcUK Staff
OP
kimandsally said:
Good to know so if my second set doesn't clock great will you replace them with a set that will?

Nope, they are only guaranteed to run at CAS 4-4-4-12 at 800MHz.

However when in the right hands coupled with the right hardware and configuration they clearly seem to overclock pretty damn well. As can be seen from my results and now the results of at least another 5 or more users. You have been unlucky to get faulty sticks but if yours don't clock well does not mean its the memory at fault.

Its impossible to say that everybody will get 1000MHz from this memory or any other memory there are too many factors involved. As can be seen from these forums different motherboards and BIOS combinations are having huge effects on memory overclocks. Then it comes down to the individuals skill and knowledge of the overclocking arts can also make the difference. :)

OcUK is not guaranteeing any kind of overclock on these modules but from my own results and now that of a few others the chances of getting some decent clocks is good if the rest of your hardware is upto the job.

OcUK Staff
OP
vocch said:
Yes Gibbo...and it will go higher....with more cpu vcore...as did run it a little over 1000MHZ but didn't save it :( ....timings 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1V....not tried CAS 4 yet. :)

Go for CAS 4-4-4-12 and see what happens, if its unstable give it 2.2v :)

OcUK Staff
OP
kimandsally said:
Here's something you might want to have a go at, if you are as good as you say lets get together with 2 identical set ups and I'll bet you £50 I'll beat you.
That's how confident I feel how about you?

If I had that kind of time to waste I'd happily do it and raise you to £100.
Plus if you truly were a pro you'd know there is no such thing as an identical PC when it comes to overclocking. Let this be your first lesson! No two CPU's overclock identical, same goes for all the other components as well. :)

Fact is I have been doing this for years and long termers on this forums know the kind of overclock I've achieved in my years gone by and will also remember when I was one of the first to hit 10k on 3D Mark 2003 with a freon cooled CPU and peltier/chilled water GeForce 3. Along with getting a Thunderbird upto 2GHz! :D

My overclocking experience and the accomplishments I've made have been well documentated over the years and long standing members and other overclockers will remember me from those days.

You may not have confidence in me but I've proven myself pointless times and I know exactly what I am doing. Have you proven yourself? Your so keen to question me to validate myself so I feel its only fair I ask you........

I have no need to prove myself to you, the overclocks I do now are from an hour spent here and there as unfortunately I just don't have the time I used to in order to play with PCs.

OcUK Staff
OP
kimandsally said:
I have to agree no set ups are identical, I mean the same components, have a wonder over to Custom PC leader board, I'm in around 30th I think position doesn't matter look at my kit, pretty poor considering the people below me, I think I extracted a good score with the bits I had as you know that's all you can do is find the limits.
I'm not questioning your overclocking skills what I'm getting at is with your first post

"If you thinking of buying memory this has to be it, why buy OCZ, Corsair PC8000/PC8500 at £300 when you can have this superior memory for a little over £100"

I did and it is not superior at all in fact this set will be lucky to reach 900 on 4-4-4-12 they will do it @5-5-4-14 but that's not superior to the OCZ and Corsair.

I was buying the Corsair and went for the Geil on over the counter recommendation all it's done has wasted my time and money, this might help you understand why I'm writing this.

It's not a good idea to write what you did above because it gives false hope to probably 50% of buyers some will get it some will not, I've had 2 sets one DOA the other just average no more.

And I would be pleased to up the bet to £100 if it makes you more interested.

How do you know the memory nots superior though. Have you actually tried some Corsair/OCZ PC8500/PC8000 in your rig? Just because it says it can do something on the tin does not mean it will do it in your motherboard/configuration possibly. So if you had gone the Corsair route its not 100% guarantee that would have been trouble free either.

I myself am in position 3 on the CustomPC table, not bad going for an air cooled PC considering all those around me are on H20 or some form of FREON cooling and even more impressive is the fact I am not running RAID and RAID 0 makes quite a difference to the multi-tasking application benchmark where HDD seek and transfer times are vital to a better result.

I merely posted the results I got, the configuration was well documentated. I am not gonna change the way I do things. If next week a new CPU, Motherboard and RAM comes out I will push it to the maximum and post my results. In theory people should be able to better me as afterall I am only taking an hour or so of my time to do it wheras for other people its their own personal PC that they spend days at a time on.

P.S. Regarding CustomPC, check out position 17 - You will see thats an older result I submitted but then check out all the ones behind me, most of them have faster clocked CPU's due to extreme cooling or H20 yet they can't beat my score. What is your name/position on the leaderboard please?

OcUK Staff
OP
vocch said:
Well could'nt get it to go with CAS 4-4-4-12.....BUT with CAS 4-8-8-23...this is what i got. :D

Those latencies are very slack, why don't you see how far it goes with 5-5-5-15 as you may find thats quicker and goes further or similar. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Nazca said:
No errors after test 6. That's a good thing. Means I need to do something more, or I've hit a wall?

The Gigabyte and Asus boards seems like absolute nightmares with memory. We've had loads of complaints regarding G.Skill and Gigabyte boards not working yet some people have no issues.

It seems that the different BIOS's and batches of the Asus/Gigabyte motherboards really are making quite huge difference to clocking levels and how stable things work.

OcUK Staff
OP
Nazca said:
I'm on the latest final version (F3). I feel there's something I haven't done, but I'm not sure what that is lol.

I don't want to increase the VDIMM past 2.3V in case I kill them :|

Nope don't exceed 2.3v unless your willing to place a fan blowing over them. However if you go beyond 2.3v do be prepared that they might die.

In the Intel board 2.2v was the maximum possible from the BIOS if I could have gone higher I would though the Intel boards tops out at 460-470FSB unfortunately.

We really could do with a decent easy 600FSB mainboard coming out that is compatible with all the memory out there too.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Yes the people who are having problems with GeIL mainly seem to be using the Asus P5W DH Deluxe which is causing huge problems with any type of overclocking or even getting stock speeds.

The reason Corsair works fine in the P5W DH is because Corsair has EPP profiles within the SPD which aids the motherboard BIOS in recognising it properly.

I am sure Asus will release new BIOS to improve compatibility and then people will get better results.

Back
Top Bottom