My GeIL 2GB PC2-6400 CAS4 Dual Channel Kit (MY-058-GL) Overclocking Experience.......

Soldato
damn, I was thinking of ordering a conroe build tonight with this ram :( only seems to be gibbo who has been able to run it over 500mhz?.
Altho there seems to be a few problems with certain mobo's and RAM, I'm to unsure what RAM and mobo to go for atm. :confused: :(

Associate
mortals said:
damn, I was thinking of ordering a conroe build tonight with this ram :( only seems to be gibbo who has been able to run it over 500mhz?.
Altho there seems to be a few problems with certain mobo's and RAM, I'm to unsure what RAM and mobo to go for atm. :confused: :(

If you can hold fire for a while- day or so if I get it going well I will come back on here, at the moment I'm reinstalling windows because it's all corrupt now from all the crashing then I'll have a minute and carry on, there's no way Geil would be selling or making duff ram it might just be a small batch :)

OcUK Staff
OP
kimandsally said:
If you can hold fire for a while- day or so if I get it going well I will come back on here, at the moment I'm reinstalling windows because it's all corrupt now from all the crashing then I'll have a minute and carry on, there's no way Geil would be selling or making duff ram it might just be a small batch :)

Its impossible to be a small batch, we had 1000 come in from the same production run, if the batch was faulty then all 1000 would be at fault. ;)

We've sold just short of 900 units and by the fact only 1-3 people have posted here with issues I am more incline to think its more down to issues with their motherboards and configurations. If people were not getting decent results with this memory these forums would have 100's of post with problems, our phone lines would be jammed and our returns would be sky high. Wheras we've heard hardly a peep which is a good thing. Plus a few of the guys who are veteran overclockers who visit the OcUK shop have had some of this stuff and are very impressed. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
mortals said:

Hi there

You won't get this RAM again this cheap. The fact we've sold close to 900 units is proof this is good memory. My results alone show how good it is! :)

Our re-supply cost is increasing and as such our sale prices will increase plus as its going of promotion the price will jump back up too.

This memory is worth in the £140-£160+VAT region just like G.Skill and Corsair memory fetches. The only reason its so cheap is because OcUK is doing a good deal. :)

Associate
Gibbo said:
Its impossible to be a small batch, we had 1000 come in from the same production run, if the batch was faulty then all 1000 would be at fault. ;)

We've sold just short of 900 units and by the fact only 1-3 people have posted here with issues I am more incline to think its more down to issues with their motherboards and configurations. If people were not getting decent results with this memory these forums would have 100's of post with problems, our phone lines would be jammed and our returns would be sky high. Wheras we've heard hardly a peep which is a good thing. Plus a few of the guys who are veteran overclockers who visit the OcUK shop have had some of this stuff and are very impressed. :)

Now you make me angry, after spending days being patient trying to fix it without slagging it off, I brought it back to the shop today and your technical department tested it while I waited and it was faulty.

So after wasting my time and a 100 mile journey you have the nerve to say issues etc, get your facts right then **** me off. :mad:

Plus if it is as good as you say it is why on the morning of testing it did you in the afternoon use Corsair for your Custom PC entry?

Last edited:
Permabanned
kimandsally said:
Now you make me angry, after spending days being patient trying to fix it without slagging it off, I brought it back to the shop today and your technical department tested it while I waited and it was faulty.

So after wasting my time and a 100 mile journey you have the nerve to say issues etc, get your facts right then **** me off. :mad:

Plus if it is as good as you say it is why on the morning of testing it did you in the afternoon use Corsair for your Custom PC entry?

The way i see it you have been unlucky with the RAM. Also you haven't been exactly constructive with your criticsm have you.

I don't think anyone was attacking you persoanlly.

As for your gripe about the RAM being touted as great, well OcUK aren't going to post on the forums that it is pants are they.

Oh and yes I have ordered some before you ask!

Associate
Slinwagh said:
The way i see it you have been unlucky with the RAM. Also you haven't been exactly constructive with your criticsm have you.

I don't think anyone was attacking you persoanlly.

As for your gripe about the RAM being touted as great, well OcUK aren't going to post on the forums that it is pants are they.

Oh and yes I have ordered some before you ask!

I understand what your saying but I don't like to be made look the bad guy when all it's done is cost me time headache and money, what I would like is transparent truth, it's simply not fair to forget to mention that any have been returned.

I don't like to be critical if I don't have to be, this is after all OcUK's forum, all I'm trying to say is they are NOT as good as what they seem as you will find out when you recieve yours. The second set I have does work it is not producing errors but it's not looking too good on the clocking front shall we say, as you know it will take many hours to fully test but initial signs are not good unless I've made a serious error and if I have I will come back and say so. But for the money it's £50 cheaper it's stonking ram for sure had I not wasted 3 days and 100 miles travelling then it would even be good value for me as well. But having siad that I have had G Skill faulty in the past maybe I should stick to Corsair and OCZ as I've never had a bad stick from either.
PS hope yours is good please post your results and what system you have. :)

Associate
now im really getting paranoid... i have a pair with me but no mobo to check whether they are actually working and will not be able to check them until after i have left the UK... hence no RMAs etc... so should i just return these and get the corsair ( never let me down over the years) ... how many units have actually failed out of the 1000 batch ? i went for these since everyone at the forum initially seemed really happy and recommended them but now more and more issues are cropping up... really confused... :confused: :(

Associate
Nocturne_sa said:
now im really getting paranoid... i have a pair with me but no mobo to check whether they are actually working and will not be able to check them until after i have left the UK... hence no RMAs etc... so should i just return these and get the corsair ( never let me down over the years) ... how many units have actually failed out of the 1000 batch ? i went for these since everyone at the forum initially seemed really happy and recommended them but now more and more issues are cropping up... really confused... :confused: :(

The chances of them being faulty are slim Geil do make very good RAM, mines currently running at just over spec 815 800 is std so this set certainly works but it failed @ 840 but it's highly probable that with more time and adjustments they might go higher than 840, but hey even if they only do spec they're still a great buy.

Caporegime
Hey Guys, just thought I'd let you all know that I'm running this ram on my Giga DS3 at 460 1:1 at 4-5-5 settings (2.2v). Not tried tighter yet but am solid, only problem is I've max'd out the motherboard lol

Hope this helps :)

Associate
JediFragger said:
Hey Guys, just thought I'd let you all know that I'm running this ram on my Giga DS3 at 460 1:1 at 4-5-5 settings (2.2v). Not tried tighter yet but am solid, only problem is I've max'd out the motherboard lol

Hope this helps :)

What CPU are you using?

I've got an E6300 at 460. 1:1 at 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2V. Any lower with 2.3V it is unstable. I don't get it :confused:

OcUK Staff
OP
kimandsally said:

Don't tell me to get my facts right! :rolleyes:

First of all where have I slagged you off or personally attached you? Can you point me to this? The only person doing attacking here is you! I was clearly stating facts to yourself, if this was a faulty batch and considering we've sold 930 kits now I think we'd have a lot more than just a handful of customers with issues overclocking and ones with borked ram. So my facts of pretty spot on and please point out where I **** you off, its clearly something I have not done.

Right so you got a faulty kit, bad luck happens. Seems to me you got great service, you came to OcUK and they tested it on the spot for you, in my view thats cracking service. They confirmed its faulty and replaced on the spot all whilst you waited, thats extremely good service.

I stand by my original post, you tell me we sold now 930 kits since last Thursday, were still in single figures of people complaining about poor overclocks or had faulty ram. So if you look at that the problem/failure rate is well under 1%.

The memory is damn good, do you think the PC was working somehow by magic at 1140MHz at CAS 4-4-4-12, the screenshot proves it and the CPU-Z screeny clearly shows GeIL memory in place. This memory overclocks great when combined with the right setup and maybe it helps by the fact I've been doing this for years as the knowledge I have in overclocking does allow me to extract every last bit of performance.

After I tested this GeIL memory it was put back into stock and I thought I'd play with my PC once more with the FREE sample kit from Corsair. I did some playing and found the Corsair was able to clock nearly as high but with even more aggressive timings. Something like CAS 3-4-3-4 all the way upto 1050MHz and as such that gave the CustomPC that little boost needed. Am I gonna rave about the Corsair? Well NO, its doing what Corsair says it will do and thats run at very low latencies at high FSB's, plus the Corsair is near on impossible to get and when you do its gonna set you back over £300.

The GeIL memory is not the best, fact! However for the money it is the best, its as good as Corsair PC2-6400 C2, G.Skill HZ PC2-6400 C4 and OCZ PC2-6400 C4 parts but cost a damn site less.

So please don't come personally attacking me because you got a faulty set, out of 1000 modules there is gonna be a few duff sets of any brand of memory.

P.S. This GeIL memory is amazing, it clocks great and is an absolute bargain!! :)

Associate
Hi....Well so far so good....well pleased with the Geil 6400....running E600 + ds4 @ 3.3 just for now as only using a Zalman...not that my temps are bad....thought i'd have a little go at super pi.

Here's what i got so far. :D

OcUK Staff
OP
vocch said:
Hi....Well so far so good....well pleased with the Geil 6400....running E600 + ds4 @ 3.3 just for now as only using a Zalman...not that my temps are bad....thought i'd have a little go at super pi.

Here's what i got so far. :D

So you have the memory running at 1000MHz yes? What timings you got?

Associate
Gibbo said:
So you have the memory running at 1000MHz yes? What timings you got?

Yes Gibbo...and it will go higher....with more cpu vcore...as did run it a little over 1000MHZ but didn't save it :( ....timings 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1V....not tried CAS 4 yet. :)

Back
Top Bottom