My GPU is constantly hitting power limit

Associate
I've bought a new card - gtx 1060 Windforce OC 6GB and tried to overclock it but when I turned on monitoring in MSI afterburner it showed up that my card is constantly hitting power limit. With and without OC. Here is a graph: http://i.imgur.com/CR9h0dah.jpg

Is it normal that my card is hitting power limits? And how about voltage limits? What if monitoring is showing that you card is hitting voltage limits? Is it dangerous for gpu?

Soldato
You want to squeeze the most out the GPU don't you? In which case hitting a power limit is good.

You can always up the power limit as long as your cooling can cope.

Associate
You want to squeeze the most out the GPU don't you? In which case hitting a power limit is good.

You can always up the power limit as long as your cooling can cope.
Thou I agree with what your saying, its it normal to hit power limit's even when everything is stock on a 1060?

I don't think I ever remember seeing power limit being the reason for limits, but then I don't own a 1060.

Soldato
You need to hard mod the card to remove power limits. This is the only way to do it.

Is there no software control for it in nvidia cards?

Thou I agree with what your saying, its it normal to hit power limit's even when everything is stock on a 1060?

I don't think I ever remember seeing power limit being the reason for limits, but then I don't own a 1060.

Boost is just automatic overclocking. You still need to define parameters to how far it can go.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with hitting tbe power limit at stock, it's almost certainly set to something very conservative. If you are going to overclock then you'll want to set it to maximum for any gains. I think msi afterburner allows up to 120%

Back
Top Bottom