My GPU stops working when I plug in DisplayPort ....

Associate
Hi,

A couple of months back I have bought PC parts on Overclockers and everything seemed to work fine until a couple of days ago when I have tried to connect my new 27" 1080P Monitor via DisplayPort and certain issue arises which makes my computer unusable. So, currently I have connected my 21" Monitor via VGA to DVI-D adapter as well as 24" monitor via HDMI port and when I start my computer everything works fine but the issue is when I try to use Display Port which completely makes my GPU unusable and I can't use my computer at all.

The issue is that when my computer is turned off and I connect display port cable from my monitor to my GPU which is Gigabyte Radeon RX480 8GB and decide to boot my pc, it boots up but I have notice that my GPU stops working and it behaves like it's dead because fans don't spin and led's are off. Then my whole computer freezes down because GPU is not active so I need to turn off my PC via PSU back power switch as power or restart button are not active. However, when I boot up my computer without DisplayPort cable plugged in, with my two above mentioned monitors, it boots up just fine and when I plug in DisplayPort cable while PC is turned on everything works fine as monitor is detected and I can use it but the issue arises when DisplayPort cable is plugged into GPU when my computer is powered down at which point when I try to power up PC the GPU doesn't want to power on at all.

What I have tried:

• To use different DisplayPorts (there are three on my GPU) and the issue still persists.
  • I don't think it's PSU as I have setu-up from this Topic.
  • I have also checked if my 8 pin connector (6+2) is correctly connected in my PSU and everything seems fine.
  • I have also prior to posting here, posted on community.amd.com but was completely ignored.
Any ideas what might be wrong here or have someone had the same issue ? I need to use my main screen in a couple of days but I am unable to and was also thinking about going back to NVIDIA, I can't imagine why simple thing as DisplayPort on GPU makes whole card paralysed for no reason ....

Thanks
MindfulPlayer

Last edited:
Associate
what happens if you turn your computer on with just that one display port connected to a monitor?
if it doesn't boot as well I would blame the DP cable

Soldato
I have a Samsung monitor with it came software to choice what type of connection for the monitor to work, Digital, Display Port or HDMI.

So I select Display Port hit OK and the monitor is working.

Check to see if your monitor came with software to select which connection you use, if not check the makers for drivers needed for your monitor to work.

Associate
OP
Have you tried a different DP cable?
Yes as well as I have tried the same cable on different computer today and it works fine but not when I connect that cable to my GPU ....

I have a Samsung monitor with it came software to choice what type of connection for the monitor to work, Digital, Display Port or HDMI.

So I select Display Port hit OK and the monitor is working.

Check to see if your monitor came with software to select which connection you use, if not check the makers for drivers needed for your monitor to work.

The issue is that my PC won't boot if I have active Display Port in my GPU as it acts dead when Display Port Cable is active in it so I bet it's hardware issue rather than software but thanks for suggestion.

Associate
OP
Just by chance have you checked the monitor settings in case you have to enable the monitors DisplayPort.

Yes, I did that before I turn my computer On as well as before I turn it On, the results are still the same.
I must say, the issue is the weird one, I haven't had one like this one before.

Back
Top Bottom