My Haswell Prodigy Build - new colour 'Tempest'

Associate
So I've been eyeing up a Bitfenix Prodigy build for a very long time now, and I finally managed to sell my Asus N56VZ-DS71 laptop for cash so have embarked this week on the first steps for my Prodigy Build!!

Disclaimer: I'm new to this forum so apologies in advance for any faux pas.

I thought the new OcUK Prodigy colours were really cool so I went ahead and picked up the Tempest colourway and set to work building my rig.

The Prodigy has been a joy to work with and certainly lives up to the hype of being an excellent, modular case - although the SFF claim is touch and go as its not a lot smaller than an ATX tower when factoring in the 'handles'. One of the main complaints about the Prodigy is that the tower isn't stable due to the flexy material on the handles/standles. However, this doesn't bother me at all as it gives it excellent shock absorption when moving it around - and let's be honest, you don't buy a Prodigy to tuck it out of sight! To be sure, its never at risk of tipping over.

My build as it stands;
- BitFenix Prodigy in Tempest (Blue sides and handles, black front and back)
- Gigabyte Z87N-WiFi Mobo
- i5 4670K Haswell chip
- Avexir 2x4GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM with pulsating blue LEDs to match the case
- Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD
- DVDRW, may swap out for a fan controller
- Corsair CX600M modular PSU
- Zalman keyboard (obviously not part of the build but incl in the price).

Total cost delivered £567, coincedentally almost exactly how much I sold my laptop for. And I already have a 27" IPS panel and Razer DeathAdder to complete the package.

To come:
- GPU, obviously. Probably a 760 which seems like good bang for buck to complete this value gaming rig.
- CPU Cooler, this is the hard part as I don't know what will fit and allow me to get to 4.5GHz (or slightly less given I'm not sure if this mobo allows overvolting). Very open to recommendations. The RAM is fairly low profile although could be a factor for an air cooler as is the proximity to the PCI-E slot. The Asus mITX board mitigates this but is 50% more expensive.
- A better fan setup/fan controller. As you can see there is currently ample room for airflow but only one of the 2 provided BitFenix 120mm fans plugs into the MoBo.
- I'll hook up an HDD, although with my unlimited central London high-speed broadband I can easily delete/reinstall Steam games in a jiffy which is the main use of my drive space (I have an external HDD for movies, music etc).

Anyway I hope this helps any Prodigy hopefuls and let me know if you have any questions about the build or any of the components

Pics. You will notice what a tiny area the PSU/MoBo/CPU/RAM/SSD takes up - I could have used a case a 1/4 of the size! But of course I am going to insert a full sized GPU and a tall air cooler/SCWC. If you are wondering where the SSD is - there is actually a cage in the door for 2.5" drives, you can see it just below the ODD. Of course, I removed all of the hard drive cages.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks fantastic mate well done.

I should have got the Tempest over my black one but i couldnt wait 2 days :) (patience is not one of my strong points lol)

Anyhow welcome to the forums :D

Last edited:
Associate
Looking good! I made the switch to a Prodigy case last week and loving it. I'm considering upgrading to a 760 for my Prodigy as well, but need someone to buy my display first.

In terms of cooling, I went for a 200mm Spectre Pro at the front as intake, then I used both the retail Spectre fans provided on the rad for my CPU cooler (Antec 620). Not sure how much extra difference it will make but they fit and are very very quiet.

If you wanted to do something like that, have a look at the 3-pin fan splitters that OCUK sell, as these will get you more fans attached to the board.

Associate
OP
Okay so I've installed the Corsair H60 Cooler and GTX760 and can confirm the following;
  • They both coexist on the board without any funny business
  • The H60 pump must be oriented on the MoBo with the pipes facing the RAM. I had the pipes sideways (per the H60 installation instructions) and there was almost no contact on the CPU despite screwing tight and temps went insane and the CPU started throttling. Turning it 90deg fixed the problem, I haven't tested other orientations but definitely worth watching this closely!!
  • H60 Radiator/Fan fitment - if you want to place it at the back above the Mobo you will need to orientate the radiator sideways with the pipes away from the GPU. The Corsair recommended orientation is pipes at the bottom and it will fit this way BUT it will block your 2x Front USB 3.0 port on this mobo. Therefore, I have elected to fit at the front of the tower, pipes down and there is no issue for pipe reach or anything. Once I get a CPU_FAN splitter I will put an out fan on the top and back of the case.
  • More of a general H60 fitment thing but the pump goes on the SYS_FAN, which you need to set to full speed override in the bios. The radiator fan goes on the CPU_FAN so it scales with temps. If you mount the radiator at the front the cable will only reach the CPU_FAN header in any event.
  • Spent most of today playing with Haswell overclocks on this board. I've got what I think is a stable 4.2GHz, @1.25V and just under 70C (AIDA64 Stability Test). However, am struggling to get 4.3GHz at this stage. Hard to tell if its CPU or board that's the problem but the H60 seems to be keeping temps under control. Once I've installed the other case fans I might try again. I know that the Z77 predecessor board didn't to V control so was never pushed that hard. Should I be happy with 4.2GHz?

pics to come.

Associate
Interesting that you had issues with the H60 fitting. One thing I will say though, I have my Kuhler 620 fitted in a similar way. the processor block is in the same orientation, but I did stick to having my rad on the back, pipes on the side away from the GPU and it works fine.

If I were you I would go for something similar so you can have an intake on the front blowing air over the whole system. Just a thought of course, but thought you might benefit from having heard from someone who recently had the same predicament :)

Back
Top Bottom