• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

my head tells me no my hart tells me ryzen 7800x3d

Associate
@Th3D0n ive just made the exact same jump. picked up a used 7800x3d (open return), used ram and paired it with a Asrock B650M-HDV/M.2.

Once sold my kit, cost me £180 all in which isn't too bad all things considering. I'll probs just drop in a used 9000 series in 3 years time.

I picked the asrock board up for £109 on sale which is seriously a bargain.
I salute you being braver than me for buying used.

Associate
Yeah I was skeptical myself but it was an online shop so saw it as fairly low risk as could just return.
Plus CPU's tend to be one of the more reliable components. In my y experience they're either DOA (or clearly borked from the off) or have lasted years and haven't died on me, or those that have bought/received then from me after I upgrade.

As for the OP you could see decent gains but it depends on the games and resolution/refresh you play at. At higher resolutions in a lot of titles a new gfx card would serve you better, but then you be leaving performance on the table. It's a tough choice! A 5700/5800X3D would provide a nice uptick without spending as much, I saw a clear benefit moving from a 5900X to the latter in many titles.

When you have the itch though...

Permabanned
My 5700x is allowing my 4070 to hit 96-100% at 4K native high settings on TLOU and achieving 56-60fps or 4K DLSS2 with everything maxed out, Alan Wake 2 at 4K DLSS3.5/FG/Reflex with 56-64fps at 100% load, with no bottlenecking, why would you need 7800X3D for a 3080?

Your 5900x is clearly enough for the task, why don't you just treat yourself to a new gpu instead? Like a RX 7900 XTX or a 4080 super versus buying new ram/mobo/cpu?

Back
Top Bottom