• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My i7 2600K build is still good 10 years on - What current CPU has best VFM over the next 10 years?

Soldato
I have a pc with a 2500k since 2011. I put an ssd in it a couple of years ago which helped keep it going. I bet it would probably do fine for few more years if it can remain on windows 10 for a bit longer with all the security updates, otherwise it will have to go into offline mode, as it's not currently supported by Windows 11.

But back to the topic, I don't think any current cpu will last 10 years like the Sandy Bridge processors. I think there is going to be a big push for more stuff like ARM processors and these will leave current cpus in the dust. That's my very speculative non-expert opinion anyway.

Soldato
Just think, in a couple of decades we will all be on quantum/classical hybrid computers. Nuts.

There'll be no 'computer' in the sense of a case/monitor. Will be built into our phones, or an implant in our body. Intel inside!

Wonder how many would risk an AMD BSOD when the chip is controlling medication release/other bodily functions :D

I bet even @humbug (the most emotionally committed AMD fan I've seen) would chose team blue!

V F

V F

Soldato
Just think, in a couple of decades we will all be on quantum/classical hybrid computers. Nuts.

In a couple of decades? The way I see technology now it would be here a lot faster than that. I could see 8 - 10 years from now at least.

Soldato
In a couple of decades? The way I see technology now it would be here a lot faster than that. I could see 8 - 10 years from now at least.

Maybe but the world has to change a lot over the next 25 years. I can see a scenario where hardware that is not technically Da Best could take the wins. I can also see a world where the non console gaming market is heavily regulated.

Soldato
Watch video maybe lol

Why would I watch a video, when I've got first hand experience?

I coupled a 6700k with a 3080. Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Jurassic World Evolution and Cyber Punk were unplayable with 4 cores. Upgraded to 8, issues went away, completely smooth. 6 cores would also be playable, though as the new consoles have 8 powerful cores, it makes sense to at least match that when buying a CPU new.

Deal with it.

Soldato
Why would I watch a video, when I've got first hand experience?

I coupled a 6700k with a 3080. Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Jurassic World Evolution and Cyber Punk were unplayable with 4 cores. Upgraded to 8, issues went away, completely smooth. 6 cores would also be playable, though as the new consoles have 8 powerful cores, it makes sense to at least match that when buying a CPU new.

Deal with it.

It’s the RTX 3080 that is the problem. A 5600 XT will handedly beat it. You could upgrade to a RX 6600 XT… Deal with that.

Lol

Associate
? Quad cores are already worthlesss for modern games when paired with a 3080 or 3090.

Correct, in the video HUB tests a 4 core intel part along side the 6 core ZEN chips to try and prove their point that "AMD GPUs can increase your 1080p CPU bound performance by upto 30%", in the least this is disingenuous.

A fair statement would have been "ZEN or ZEN+ architectures can severely bottleneck ampere cards", but this did not fit their agenda as they are still butt hurt over the Nvidia raytracing debacle.

Soldato
It’s simply fact. RTX cards have a horrible overhead on the CPU. 30-40% more than a Radeon card. You really need a top end Ryzen 5000 system to overcome the Nvidia short comings. It’s sad but true. This issue I s made worse by the insane prices of graphics cards.

Happy trolling.

I’m sorry facts upset you. Carful your pal Dave2150 will tell you to deal with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I still have a 2500k @ 4.4ghz lowered it down due to age it can hit 4.8ghz.

It just works as my main music/server has been running fine. If I want to run a game it works fine.

The i7 & i5s were the pinnacle of CPUs, we wont get that again until we get quantum computing in my opinion.

I now have a 5800x and its just hot and meh. :(

Back
Top Bottom