My i7 Rig.

Soldato
Hi, I'm going to build an i7 rig for £700.
I'm sure you can use a PC with a graphics card, even for Windows 7?
I won't be putting a GPU on it, as its my birthday right at the beginning of February and i'll use some money and get a GPU then. It'll most probably be a HD4890 or 5850 if they become cheap then, as I hear the GT300 series is coming soon, and so are some more 5000 series Radeons.
(If you saw my other forum, I had a brainwave today :p)

Is this any good?

i7690-GPUlesstilbday.jpg

Please no 'There's no GPU' because "I know there's no GPU"

Soldato
You will need some graphics to tie you over to getting a 5000 series. Or just buy it now really. And make sure the case is wide enough for the cooler.

And what do you mean by this:

I'm sure you can use a PC with a graphics card, even for Windows 7?

Do you mean "I'm sure you can use a PC withOUT a graphics card, even for Windows 7?"

Last edited:
Soldato
I would suggest against that motherboard. It may seem to be a great price but the BIOS is a mess, not a good overclocker. I suggest going for either this or this instead - much better boards.

I would also recommend spending the extra tenner on this much higher quality PSU.

I won't be putting a GPU on it

This probably isn't the best idea I have heard today.

Permabanned
Hi ,

Personally I would swap out the hard drive for this one HERE , Its faster and should be more reliable. But must admit that Seagate is a great deal.

I was going to mention a change in motherboard but seeing you cant get another decent one for that price i would take a chance with that one. But it is a chance. ! ! !

Cooling is good , but THIS one is better. You would need two fans as well so quite a bit dearer however it is regarded as the best for air.

Just ideas mate ,

Best of luck

Soldato
Even so. How will you see the screen? If it doesn't have integrated graphics, you can't see anything mate.

As for motherboard, I have heard good things about this

I have the one up from it, the UD5 and it's a great board.

Soldato
Unless you have another GPU to use in the meantime, you are on the wrong track.

The X58 has no onboard graphics chip, so there is no way to connect a monitor to the system without a GPU in that board. Also, i'm pretty sure most non IGP boards will not even complete POST without a GPU connected.

Soldato
I think you should still change the PSU for what was recommended above. And add the graphics. And probably add 6GB of RAM (get it as a 6GB kit, ie 3 x 2GB). And a second Noctua fan for the Megahalems. Works best with two fans in push-pull config. And make sure that case is wide enough for the Megahalems. It's a bloody big cooler.

Last edited:
Soldato
You will want good fans with high static pressure for the heatsink, that noctua fan is fantastic.

I suggest not getting 6x 1GB sticks of RAM, it will cost the same in the long run and overclock worse (due to increased strain on the memory controller of 6 sticks). The RAM you chose in the first spec was ideal.

I assume you will be ordering the 4890 with that stuff? Its a good GPU, but it may be worthwhile stumping up the extra for a 5850 due to its power efficiency, quietness, raw performance and next-generation technology.

Soldato
OP
I have come to a decision.

The Picture above, with these changes:

HD 4350 512mb (As it supports Direct X10.1, unlike the 6200.
Scythe Mugen 2 (reading review and this has a Q9450 at 44 degrees at load!!)
A Scythe Kama 92mm fan (Going in Side of Case)

And that's £710 with Shipping :)

Permabanned
I think you should consider something like this. It will work right away with a decent base and will be able to use a 5800 series card when you can manage to get one. Its a bit dearer than yours but i feel much better and safer.

Soldato

Sounds much better, except for the RAM, get the stuff you originally picked.

DX 10.1 will make no difference unless you play games, and even then it will not matter as that card is not really powerful enough for modern ones (ie those that make use of dx10.1).

The Mugen is a good cooler for the price, but don't expect to get those temps - as a Q9450 is a 95W chip while the i7 920 is a 130W chip, however for stock speeds and even decnt overclocking the mugen will be fine.

That NZXT case takes 120mm fans on the side, not 92mm.

Soldato

That's a Q9450 it's cooling though. Not an i7. They are HOT chips. Especially when you clock them.

Back
Top Bottom