My latest phobile moan (also spec me)

Soldato
I think the USB connection on my Note 4 is starting to fail, so I have to look around for a new device. Wandered through town yesterday to put my hands on a few handsets, and noticed a lot of things about the new generation that I do not like.

1) Removable batteries seem to have gone the way of the dodo. I'm not a fan of this, it's planned obsolescence.

2) Half the phones don't have a 3.5mm headphone jack any more, and most of the ones that do have moved it to the bottom. This is fine when you're holding the phone, I guess, but when it's in a pocket it's bloody awkward.

3) I would like to take all personal assistants and personally assist their designer to insert them somewhere painful.

4) Replacing the physical home button with a fingerprint scanner is a bit annoying, especially when it's on the reverse.

OK, rant over. I am looking for a device which at least matches the form factor of my Note 4 (5.84" screen, 3.5mm jack or supplied wireless phones/dongle, microSD slot). I would prefer a sim-free over contract - I don't make many calls, so want to keep my £17-a-month 200 minutes/unlimited data tariff that nobody offers any more. I've never used more than about 10GB in a month, though, so I'd be OK with a 24-month tariff which meets that so long as it's not more than maybe £25-30 a month over what I spend now. And of course, the fewer of my rant points that apply the better. Can any kind soul please advise?

Soldato
What about a Nokia 6 (2018)? I think that would be a similar form factor and have the features you listed. I admit there won't be a removable battery or home button, but think it might be a good option.

Soldato
You could replace the usb port - they're about a fiver on ebay and it's a 10 minute job if you know what you're doing (probably more like an hour if you are following a vid, going by experience doing similar fixes).

Man of Honour
I don't get the fascination with non-removable batteries - it isn't environmentally friendly it isn't end-user friendly and it is a pain in the rear if you get a phone that has a non-removable battery, a repeating alarm set and the device locked with the owner out of the picture for whatever reason and so on.

Also hating the phasing out of the 3.5mm headphone socket.

Kind of in the same boat myself - my Note 4 is getting on a bit now but hard to find a decent replacement that has a removable battery, headphone socket, approx 5-5.5" screen in a decent aspect ratio (not too bothered about resolution but don't like some of the weird aspect ratios that seem to be taking prominence lately) that doesn't have curved edges or bevels or silly bits sticking out into the screen, etc., decent battery life, a camera that is at least in the same ballpark as the Note 4 or better and a micro SD slot and preferably a micro sim as it is a bit of a pain to get my sim adjusted each time.

Soldato
Funnily enough this is why I'm holding out upgrading from my S7 Edge, I use earphones quite a lot every day. However, your first point is going to force the upgrade very soon as the battery is quite garbage now.

Upgrading to Oreo tonight and going to do a factory reset to see if I can squeeze anything more out of it, otherwise it's going to Mazuma and getting a P20 Pro.

Soldato
I changed from note 4 to huawei p20 Pro and happy with it (might be above budget)

I agree with the dislike of non removable batteries, but battery on this seems to be pretty damn good

I Thought the same about 3.5mm port but rarely affects me. Only concern Is increased wear on charging port?

Associate
LG V20 is pretty much the last decent phone with a removable battery. It's been my phone since about October and I have no complaints really. Cameras are pretty decent (and the wide angle lens is very neat and useful). I'll run this one into the ground before I'm forced to upgrade. Hopefully by then removable batteries will have a bit of a resurgence.

The current mobile phone market is a complete state in my opinion. Consumers are just completely braindead and happily accept manufacturers taking options away so many options from them. Non removable batteries are forced obsolescence. Fast charge can surely only be detrimental to the battery in the long run. Lack of removable storage means you're stuffed if your phone unexpectedly dies, or if you want to easily move your media from one device to another. Lack of headphone jack means carrying down a stupid dongle and another thing to lose. Stupid copycat useless notch design which adds absolutely nothing. Can you imagine if you bought a car with a sealed and inaccessible engine, having to use an adaptor to put your key in the ignition or a huge black line in the windscreen?

Man of Honour
LG V20 looks like it would tick a lot of boxes for me but a bit late in the day now - if my Note 4 did die though I'd probably see if they were still around if nothing else better comes out.

I hope we see a resurgence of what made the original "phablet" phones good instead of this style over substance rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom