My Maraathon of the Sands - sweat, tears and camel spiders!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
Feek said:
It was actually a serious question.

K.

Ah ok - well DRZ hits the nail on the head. I did the MDS primarily for myself, but as it was such a huge event in terms of effort I thought it'd present a good opportunity to raise money for two worthy causes.

To answer a few other questions - It's impossible to prepare properly for the MDS in this country so it's just a case of getting as much mileage in as you can spending lots of time on your feet. Although I was lucky enough to have run the 2005 Singapore marathon which gave me a taste of running in high temps.

During the event it just became a case of managing yourself - managing water etc. and trying to put yourself somewhere else mentally when it really got tough.

Someone had said to me that the event is 40% physical and 60% mental - and they weren't wrong.

Soldato
OP
I thought this thread had dissapeared forever!

Cheers for the new comments. I now have the entry forms for the 2008 MDS on my desk and I am very very tempted. The only thing stopping me is the fear of ending up in a tent full of numpties after having such a great team this year.

So far I'm enetered in 2 full and 3 half marathons later on in the year to keep me focussed for now, but would love to do it all over again.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom