My motherboard's borked, isn't it?

Caporegime
Some OEM thing from an Alienware. X99, has 4 ram slots and currently houses an i7 5930k. Ram slots 1 & 3 occupied, works fine. As soon as I fill the rest it won't POST.

Before I bin it, it's not some setting or silly thing I'm overlooking is it? The ram all works, tested each stick individually.

I've also reset the cmos for good measure.

Soldato
Whip the CPU out and check the socket for bent or dirty pins, and check the contacts on the underside of the CPU are clean. Even if they are, simply re-seating the CPU might do the trick.

Check the RAM slots on the motherboard for dust and damage too.

Soldato
That's cool. I'd thought about trying to reuse the case and resurrect my area 51 but I think if I'm buying a new mobo/CPU I might as well get a new case at the same since, whilst it looks cool and unique, the Alienware one is huge for matx yet still doesn't have great thermals.

X99 motherboards seem to go for so much second hand it doesn't make sense to stick with that platform given it's age and outdated feature set.

Associate
Another here who's X99 is playing silly buggers. Was great for its time but definitely worth upgrading now. I had an X99-S and had major issues trying to use XMP my RAM, USB ports started failing a couple years into ownership and then got the dreaded post-code 00 error a few weeks ago. I know people **** on ASUS a lot but their 5 way optimisation actually helped on the first problem.

Back
Top Bottom