My Retro Resto - E30 325i Cab

Y u lookin' so shifty behind the wheel bro?
He always looks shifty ;)
#thuglife #ballin #yolo #gansta #swag

Sounds rather nice on full chat :D need an engine bay mic!

Induction/engine noise is actually minimal with the E30 to be honest (at least my exhaust noise is much louder), only way to increase it would be to drill the airbox (I do have a spare...) or fit a cone filter. Cone filters only give you noise, they remove power though so I'd rather leave it as it is, avoids heat soak then too if I run the standard airbox.

He always looks shifty ;)Hopefully there will be some tunnel run and flyby videos after next weekend ;)

Depends on the weather, but yeah, this. Shame there aren't any proper tunnels in Devon though.

Last edited:
Couple of updates I forgot to put on here.

I've been using the car for a while now and it is good fun, still needs loads of work and money throwing at it to bring it up to the level I want but I don't have the space or funds right now to do it. It's drivable and safe which is what really matters, everything else is just 'I should do this' stuff.

I've now done about 700-800 miles in the car since Feb and since I replaced the battery it has been brilliant.
Had a good weekend last weekend, went to a rolling road with another forum, roof was down from 8am when we left the flat until 6pm when we got back. So nice to have the ability to lower the roof.
Downside of a cabriolet is that it is very noisy on the motorway, wind, exhaust etc. gets quite tiring especially when you are trying to talk to a passenger or listen to music...still, it is good fun. :D

Today I decided to givee the front fibreglass skirt/lip/thing a coat of Plasti Dip as it was looking really rather rubbish in a dirty, faded greyish colour.

Before:
DSCN0008.jpg

After:
DSC_0030.jpg

I think it does look a lot smarter, but I'm running low on the paint/rubber coating and it needs a couple of coats. It should weather in a bit and look more like the front grills over a couple of months which is cool. If I decide I don't like it, I can just peel it off too. :D

Pic of the front with no tape:

DSC_0013.jpg

The plasti dip is really awesome, looks so much better now than it did before, really liking it. If anyone wants an easy and lasting (longer than a few weeks) way to make grills etc. black, use this stuff. 8) Down side is that it isn't all that cheap, £15 for a 400ml spray can.

Went out for a blast from Bristol with -westy- today, some awesome roads once your out of the Bristol area, really badly surfaced roads in and around here though. :(

DSC_0010.jpg

http://youtu.be/UDD1S0hTYJo

:p :D

Filled it up with fuel and found it was doing this:

DSC_0019.jpg

due to this:

DSC_0018.jpg

:mad:

I've changed the tank due to a rotten filler neck, now this top hose has perished, and I have a full tank, and it is a tank out job, and I don't have a garage to work in. :(

Might have to just ignore the car for a nearly a week and head down to where I can work on it next weekend.

Which line is that anyway? The one on the right that looks wet.

Hopefully this is now fixed thanks to some helpful information from a guy on E30zone.

This is the offending pipe once undone from the tank.
DSC_0003.jpg

Removed this section of pipe.
DSC_0004.jpg

I refitted the pipe, made sure I pushed it on as far as it would let me, which is further than it was on before. I'm guessing it is fixed but I won't know for sure until I next brim the tank. The pipe is in theory the breather pipe, so it'll only really come into concern when the tank is full/being filled. It was obviously burping fuel out up the breather pipe, and then spilling it out from the split

These old cars. :rolleyes:

erm, fuel rail/carb return pipe ? id never expect a tank breather pipe to let out anything other than vapor.

Nope, the fuel return is a solid line out of shot in the first pic of the top of the tank. This is the vent/expansion pipe on the top...I obviously over filled the tank / this pattern tank is naff and instead of filling correctly and venting it is spitting fuel back up the vent pipe.

Either way, it was peeing fuel out of the top of the tank which has removed the protection that was applied to the tank due to a split in the hose.

The E30 has an expansion tank in the wheel arch which is where the line goes but obviously fuel wasn't exactly getting there. :o

Rob you need new plates IMO, those german ones are a bit past it, we fitted those absolutely years ago when we were early 20's and thought they were cool :p

Im really glad that cars back on the road though, good job :)

Back
Top Bottom