My road to becoming a driving instructor

Soldato
OP
I was simply wondering because my driving instructor used to do both. So i was wondering if he had considered it / ruled it out. Was just interested is all :)

I've not considered it yet, no. A couple of reasons. Firstly, there's actually no minimum time period you have to have been instructing before you can start training instructors. I feel however that a trainer needs a good deal of experience in order to fully understand how the Part 3 works and how to train potential instructors effectively for it. A big part of the reason the first time Part 3 pass rate is so low (4% I think...!) is that there's a fair bit of substandard training going on. If I was to branch out into instructor training, I would want to be confident that I could do a darn fine job of it.

The second reason is that there's not that much instructor training work at the moment - there's been a massive drop in people applying and training to be driving instructors recently. There used to be a good 8 week waiting list for the ADI exams, this is down to 1 or 2 weeks in many test centres now.

Associate
Congtratulations on passing! A very interesting read. My driving instructor said that she failed the first time and had to wait a couple of years until she was able to do it again. Best of luck with it!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm pleased some of you have commented on finding it interesting and/or informative. More pictures to come hopefully once I pick the car up on Saturday and put my newly printed roof box on top.

I shall keep you updated as I take on my first few students over the next couple of weeks :)

Man of Honour
Excellent stuff, good luck with your new venture and plan your expansion now and how you plan to build a fleet and make money from them. ;)

Soldato
OP
:)

524159_10151839431500021_964141293_n.jpg

Caporegime
Max earning potential is a lie, you either have to work all the hours god gives, and I'm taking 12 - 14 hours 7 days a week, or lie on your tax return.

Cost overheads are high, and the job isn't that rewarding long term.

Associate
It's been a while since the last post, but I was wondering how it all panned out? I'm being made redundant at the end of the year and I'm currently exploring possibilities - ADI is one of them.

I've only just started looking into it and already it's looking like one of those sectors that promises the world, but fails to deliver; where the real money is being made by the people charging ££££ for the courses (like electrician/plumber training).

I like the idea of working for myself and like everything, you get out what you put in, but having to work 6 or 7 days a week, 10-12 hrs per day to make any sort of money doesn't strike me as flexible (one of the claims).

My employer has got £800 up for grabs to put towards re-training and there are options out there to train as an ADI for £1299. So it'd 'only' be ~£500. I'll have some redundancy which could buy me a car much like the one you bought and going independent from the very start would obviously keep the dosh in my pocket.

I just wondered if it's all doom and gloom? :)

Soldato
My driving instructor was a percussionist, wedding photographer and full driving instructor (passplus, instructor trainer, taxi trainer, LGV trainer). He worked 8am - 8pm every day doing any/all jobs just to support his small semi-detached house, wife and young baby... and he was 48.

Caporegime
A guy local to us is doing 5 lessons for £56, using a 14 plate A3.

God knows how that works out financially, after costs he must be making about £6 - £7 an hour, max.

Even worse, it's a franchies, so the driving instructor must be taking home pennies.

Last edited:
Associate
It's between £20-£25 in my area. A few of the franchises have special offers, like 10 lessons for £99, and for one of them it's optional, one is compulsory (that I can work out) but another, the AA, appear to reimburse fully the DI for the discount. (Which seems reasonable.)

But yeah, with hourly rates like that, and franchise fees to pay, it's shockingly low earnings.

There are pros and cons, but I think the best way to maximise earnings is to go all-in and be independent and not get training from one of the big 6. It's about £2500 with them, whereas it can be found for nearly half that elsewhere.

But being part of a franchise for a year or so may be advantagous in gaining experience and creating a client-base - if you can survive financially, that is.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I learnt with a private driving instructor, and he used to overlap his lessons.

The last 10 minutes of my lesson would be driving him to wherever his next lesson was. We'd then swap and the next pupil would take us all home.

Not too much of an issue if you arrange the lessons so you aren't driving halfway across town and have them geographically close.

Associate
My driving instructor was supposedly the best of the area. He worked in about a 2 mile radius which meant that he was never more than a few mins away from the next lesson. He told me he quit an engineering job to become an instructor.

Back
Top Bottom