My thanks to the OcUK developers

Associate
Well done, also inspiring read.

Got a job interview today at 1:30pm for Junior Web Design / Developer position. Hopefully I can impress them! (probably not :( )

Associate
Nice work Sic. Congrats to you dude :cool:

Half my problem is that I lack imagination. I have VS2005 free from Uni and I thought I'd try and do something with C# to try and learn it, I just couldn't think of anything to do. :o

Thats my problem. I sit there thinking what I can do, but nothing comes to me. When I was at uni, I stayed up most nights coding for assignments and had no problem finding out the solution.

Soldato
Thats my problem. I sit there thinking what I can do, but nothing comes to me. When I was at uni, I stayed up most nights coding for assignments and had no problem finding out the solution.
The best I could come up with was some silly little database with a self-made front end for my MP3 library. :D

The idea was to input info on all my songs into this db such as Artist/Band, title, year, genre etc so I could then erm search for songs of a certain genre in the 1970s and then make a playlist or something. :)

Then a mate of mine told me he had to do something pretty similar for a Uni assignment.

Permabanned
Nice to hear mate.

I only know html.....and for my coursework i have to make my own online store for a small bookshop, with the same type of system as popular online stores, so customer logins, admin cp's, shopping carts, checkouts etc......and i havent even learnt php yet! So as im forced to learn i might aswell learn asp at the same time.....4 years time who knows what ill be doing!

Associate
Nice to hear mate.

I only know html.....and for my coursework i have to make my own online store for a small bookshop, with the same type of system as popular online stores, so customer logins, admin cp's, shopping carts, checkouts etc......and i havent even learnt php yet! So as im forced to learn i might aswell learn asp at the same time.....4 years time who knows what ill be doing!

Thats basically what I am doing at uni except other way round, doing a project in asp and in my spare time learning PHP. The similarities are there but I prefer PHP so far :p

Associate
So, I got the job offer for Junior Web Developer, which I accepted. (3 months probation :()

Main work will involve helping maintain current/new website, code front end complaint XHTML / CSS. In addition develop knowledge of PHP/MySql and MySource Matrix CMS(training provided).

Side jobs will include build stock photo library, manage/create video and podcast, SEO, awareness and help identify new ways to market.

Salary is not too hot but it will be good experience to build on my Multimedia Computing degree.

I hope my story will be successful as Sic's! :p

Soldato
So, I got the job offer for Junior Web Developer, which I accepted. (3 months probation :()

Main work will involve helping maintain current/new website, code front end complaint XHTML / CSS. In addition develop knowledge of PHP/MySql and MySource Matrix CMS(training provided).

Side jobs will include build stock photo library, manage/create video and podcast, SEO, awareness and help identify new ways to market.

Salary is not too hot but it will be good experience to build on my Multimedia Computing degree.

I hope my story will be successful as Sic's! :p

Congrat's and all the best with it m8!!!! :cool:

I find I can identify with the thoughts and posts in this thread because of the subject matter, even though I only code and dev websites as a part time business on the side, quite apart from my main career which is as far removed from web design and development as you could probably get. :p

Associate
Nice one nolimit

Your are getting a lot of expeirence in many things there, will defintely benefit you in the future. Sounds really exciting :).

Since this thread I got a placement for my year out at uni and I am going to be doing stuff in PHP, MySQL and developing desktop widgets that interact with databases. Cant wait to get started :D

Soldato
Just to keep the appreciation alive. I just got a job as a Junior Web Developer and Graphic Designer and if not for creating hundreds of signatures in my teens I dont think I would be as proficient or creative today. So while many have thanked me for making them signatures, I owe them thanks too.

WooOcuk!

Associate
Gratz - new to the fourm so i dont know you but stories like this always help reassure myself that our industry isnt as mess'd up as it feels some time and i look forward to helping others out in the same way you were

Back
Top Bottom