1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAS / Media / HTPC server stuff for Linux

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by PaulCa, May 29, 2018.

1. PaulCa

Gangster

So yesterday I cleared the boot drive of my old gaming rig and installed a bare bones Gentoo server.

I have NFS, Samba and MiniDLNA running currently. This means I get nice fast access from Linux via NFS, user session based access via Samba/CIFs for Windows etc and I can browse through stuff on the smart TV or Mobile phone via DLNA. I do still need to install a DLNA client in windows though.

I'm left feeling this is all a bit raw and dull.

Are the any useful applications/servers that I can install to make it more convenient? I realise that some of these might be client side, such as pointing Kodi at the DLNA server and letting it index, categorize etc.

I see a lot of focus in the NAS/Media server space is around "appliance" based solutions like FreeNAS etc. Also a lot of focus on media centre rather than media server, so a local display is expected.

Just looking for ideas. One thing that might crop up, is remote access, I assume that won't be DLNA but more likely a streaming style web application to stream audio and video over HTML5 or Flash.

2. pete910

Wise Guy

Plex is good for this tbh. plex then streams whatever media you have on it.

Kodi can also be used and point to the NFS/SMB share and stream it directly from the server.

Router/Acces point(if you have a wifi card in it)

Proxy server with content filtering is another use.

You could do some VM's is it's up to it.

I use ClearOS as I do all the above but the VM's.

3. PaulCa

Gangster

I might try Plex, but it's payware and I'm not sure I like how they operate. I would be suspicious about it farming me for data by phoning home all the time.

Kodi on the client is something I'll try now I have a new PI3 memory card.

Not entirely sure how VMs would help. I have no need to run multiple different services, unless I wanted to try FreeNAS and running a virtual array on a non-RAID disc would be a bit pointless, except to experiment.

The server is: AMD FX9590 - 16Gb DDR3 1866 - NVidia 710, so it will handle 4-8 VMs if I had a need.

4. arfoll

Wise Guy

I do something similar with Kodi. I use a NUC to run kodi (which is a bit overpowered), and would highly recommend the new Gemini Lake atom NUCs (June Canyon) that do h265 & 4k 60fps (it's nice to have GUI running fast).

5. Bluecube

Wise Guy

Plex is well worth it. It will cut out a lot of hassle and aggravation from your project and will let you enjoy watching and listening to your media.

6. npinn001

Gangster

I'm currently running a gigabyte Brixton with n3150 but it's feeling a bit long in the tooth. Is the gemini lake a big step up?

7. arfoll

Wise Guy

Tbh not really unless you care about hevc decoding and hdmi2.0. Performance wise it's not going to be very different and it's not miles ahead in thermal efficiency either. I upgraded from an i3 broadwell simply for hdmi2, hevc and built-in spdif (yup I'm still old school :/)

8. npinn001

Gangster

Thanks, so I can save some cash for now then!

9. Buffalo2102

Hitman

I used to use Plex but it got too much for my simple needs and I changed to Serviio some time ago. Tried Emby for a while too but didn't like it. I have fond memories of using Minidlna though. Used it for a number of years before moving onto a gui-based solution.

The free version of Serviio is all I need but if you want all the Pro features (access outside network, apps, etc.) you can try them out for 30 days and then purchase ($25) if you want them.