Nausea when sitting down

Man of Honour
Does anybody have any tips for dealing with VR Nausea when sitting down, its the weirdest thing, I can do standing VR for literally hours on end, several hours in a go without feeling the slightest piece of nausea. Even if its merely stationary standing, but the moment I try some sat down VR I feel nauseous within minutes. I'm not sure why my brain perceives a difference between being stood up and not moving and sat down and not moving but theres clearly something different in there

Associate
Does anybody have any tips for dealing with VR Nausea when sitting down, its the weirdest thing, I can do standing VR for literally hours on end, several hours in a go without feeling the slightest piece of nausea. Even if its merely stationary standing, but the moment I try some sat down VR I feel nauseous within minutes. I'm not sure why my brain perceives a difference between being stood up and not moving and sat down and not moving but theres clearly something different in there

These helped for me:

Take a ginger tablet half an hour before playing

Have a fan blowing in your face

Take baby steps. Start feeling wobbly, stop playing and take a 5 min break. Don't try and play through it.

I haz 4090!
Don
Don’t overdo it mate. As soon as you start to feel a bit woozy, stop straight away. It’s all about baby steps for racing/flying sims. Slowly build yourself up and you’ll be zooming round Spa for hours at a time before you know it.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks, is it common to not suffer it at all when standing but to suffer when sitting down, or is it just different from person to person and for some people its the opposite way round?

I haz 4090!
Don
It depends what games really, but generally you're fine standing up as you can move around a little and it's more in sync. I don't know of anyone who has gotten sick when playing a standing up game. Oh actually in fact maybe that Pavlov VR - that gave me a headache for some reason.

If you really want to test your limits when you've got it down - watch a VR video of The Smiler ride at Alton Towers :rolleyes: <-- I'm using the rolleyes as the vomit emoji here!

Actually that's a good idea. Can you watch VR rollercoasters without getting sick if you're stood up?

Man of Honour
OP
It depends what games really, but generally you're fine standing up as you can move around a little and it's more in sync. I don't know of anyone who has gotten sick when playing a standing up game. Oh actually in fact maybe that Pavlov VR - that gave me a headache for some reason.

If you really want to test your limits when you've got it down - watch a VR video of The Smiler ride at Alton Towers :rolleyes: <-- I'm using the rolleyes as the vomit emoji here!

Actually that's a good idea. Can you watch VR rollercoasters without getting sick if you're stood up?
I havent tried tbh, I'll give that a go, has to be said though I dont do well with roller coasters in RL :)

Soldato
I'm not sure why my brain perceives a difference between being stood up and not moving and sat down and not moving but theres clearly something different in there
Brain likely expects only very limited amount of movement when sitting and goes completely nuts when image shows lots of movement.

has to be said though I dont do well with roller coasters in RL :)
If roller coasters are issue, you might want to stay away from "top-spin" devices:

Man of Honour
OP
that will be why then
they are really demanding on your VR brain
it will take you a while to get used to to that sort of thing
Yeah I figured that because I was able to do Lone Echo and Lone Echo 2 and Asgards Wrath (3 superb games and all very graphically impressive for anyone who hasnt yet played them) I'd be ok with them both but definitely seems to be related to the sitting down aspect. I regularly did 5 hour sessions on Lone Echo and Asgards Wrath without any nausea at all.

I'm going to give the ginger suggestion a go this weekend and see how I fare after having that

Back
Top Bottom