NCP £100 fine - overstayed by quarter of an hour

Associate
It obviously is permissible under law because as I said my brother was taken to court and that was their justification for the charge as they won. If it wasnt permissable as you say, it would be thrown out of court.

Of course the attendant is permanently employed but if no one ever over stayed then there wouldnt ever be a need to pay for an attendant at all. It is the fact that people do overstay thus there is a requirement to pay for an attendant to be there.

I don’t know the final details of your brothers case so can’t really comment, but the fact it’s a shopping centre leads me back to my early post where I mentioned they are risky as there is case law now that rules in favour of the parking company. Also if it is in anyway linked to council then this is also a big negative.

By the very nature of the parking business (ticket and validation system) they need to pay for an attendant or pay for ANPR; whether it’s a perfect world with little infractions or not. If and when I get taken to court and lose I will post back in here so people can learn from my mistakes. At this present time however I don’t see that happening.

Edit - and I really hope I’m right otherwise I’ll owe about a £1,000 in historic penalties. Eek

Soldato
I don’t know the final details of your brothers case so can’t really comment, but the fact it’s a shopping centre leads me back to my early post where I mentioned they are risky as there is case law now that rules in favour of the parking company. Also if it is in anyway linked to council then this is also a big negative.

By the very nature of the parking business (ticket and validation system) they need to pay for an attendant or pay for ANPR; whether it’s a perfect world with little infractions or not. If and when I get taken to court and lose I will post back in here so people can learn from my mistakes. At this present time however I don’t see that happening.

Edit - and I really hope I’m right otherwise I’ll owe about a £1,000 in historic penalties. Eek

The parking company is called Napier Parking and is a private company https://www.napierparking.co.uk/

In the main people will get away with ingnoring tickets as its probably too much hassle to chase people through the courts, as you have demonstrated but I wanted to make clear that people do get persued through the courts and the courts do sometimes uphold the charges/invoices or whatever you want to call it and that my brother has first hand experience that.

Much of the time people talk as if it is a certainty that they dont chase you up and I want to make clear that is not the case and that they can make a case for such charges.

Permabanned
The way to solve this problem for good is to stop the DVLA selling our personal information.
If they can't get names and addresses then they can't send threat letters, so they make no money, so they give up.
Privacy is the answer. Demand it.

The easier way to solve the problem is not to overstay, park where you shouldnt etc etc

Its peoples self entitlement to park where they want, not keep a track on the time etc thats the problem, not the businesses supplying the service

Be better if NCP charged a £100 refundable deposit when you went in. If you leave on time you get it back, that would sharpen up peoples effort to get back on time ;)

Soldato
They have absolutely no contractual or legal right to ‘fine’ you. ...If you were parking somewhere like a station or something I absolutely wouldn’t pay it.

I would be very careful about this approach, particularly if you mean train stations. A lot of train stations are covered by bye-laws that enable fines to be enforced, and I mean a fine as defined by law.

Permabanned
They have absolutely no contractual or legal right to ‘fine’ you. ...

I think if NCP issued fines for overstaying and had no legal right to do so they themselves would be breaking the law, however, as they continue to issue fines one can be fairly sure they have the law on their side.

Caporegime
The easier way to solve the problem is not to overstay, park where you shouldnt etc etc

Its peoples self entitlement to park where they want, not keep a track on the time etc thats the problem, not the businesses supplying the service

Be better if NCP charged a £100 refundable deposit when you went in. If you leave on time you get it back, that would sharpen up peoples effort to get back on time ;)

I'd agree with this.

Pretty much every week I have to make use of NCP or other city/town centre parking and I've managed to avoid a ticket, even when meetings go on for longer than scheduled. You just plan ahead and don't chance it because everyone knows how scummy these car park operators are.

Back
Top Bottom