NDR Report - O365

Associate
Hi guys,

Sorry if this is wrong sub, thought it was most suited!

Having an issue I've been asked to take a lookout, we have a customer which has a distribution group - [email protected], this is set to accept mail from external contacts.

When I send a test mail from my account, [email protected] I get an instant bounceback with the following:

Your message to [email protected] couldn't be delivered.

symantec wasn't found at customerdomain.com. Jamieh Office 365 symantec Action Required Recipient

Unknown To address

How to Fix It The address might be misspelled or might not exist. Try one or more of the following: • Retype the recipient's address, then resend the message - If you're using Outlook, open this non-delivery report message and click Send Again from the menu or ribbon. In Outlook on the web, select this message, and then click the "To send this message again, click here." link located just above the message preview window. In the To or Cc line, delete and then retype the entire recipient's address (ignore any address suggestions). After typing the complete address, click Send to resend the message. If you're using an email program other than Outlook or Outlook on the web, follow its standard way for resending a message. Just be sure to delete and retype the recipient's entire address before resending it. • Remove the recipient from the recipient Auto-Complete List, then resend the message - If you're using Outlook or Outlook on the web, follow the steps in the "Remove the recipient from the recipient Auto-Complete List" section of this article. Then resend the message. Be sure to delete and retype the recipient's entire address before clicking Send. • Contact the recipient by some other means, (by phone, for example) to confirm you're using the right address. Ask them if they've set up an email forwarding rule that could be forwarding your message to an incorrect address. If the problem continues, ask the recipient to tell their email admin about the problem, and give them the error (and the name of the server that reported it) shown below. It's likely that only the recipient's email admin can fix this problem.

Was this helpful? Send feedback to Microsoft.

More Info for Email Admins Status code: 550 5.4.1

This error occurred because a message was sent to an email address hosted by Office 365, but the address doesn't exist in the receiving organization's Office 365 directory. Directory Based Edge Blocking (DBEB) is enabled for customerdomain.com, and DBEB rejects messages addressed to recipients who don't exist in the receiving organization's Office 365 directory. This error is reported by the recipient domain's email server, but most often it can be fixed by the person who sent the message. If the steps in the How to Fix It section above don't fix the problem, and you're the email admin for the recipient, try one or more of the following:

Check that the email address exists and is correct - Confirm that the recipient address exists in your Office 365 directory, is correct, and is accepting messages.

Synchronize your directories - Make sure directory synchronization is working correctly, and that the recipient's email address exists in both Office 365 and in your on-premises directory.

Check for errant forwarding rules - Check for forwarding rules for the original recipient that might be trying to forward the message to an invalid address. Forwarding can be set up by an admin via mail flow rules or mailbox forwarding address settings, or by the recipient via the Forwarding or Inbox Rules features.

Make sure the recipient has a valid license - Make sure the recipient has an Office 365 license assigned to them. The recipient's email admin can use the Office 365 admin center to assign a license to them (Users > Active Users > Select the recipient > Assigned License > Edit).

Make sure that mail flow settings and MX records are correct - Misconfigured mail flow or MX record settings can cause this error. Check your Office 365 mail flow settings to make sure your domain and any mail flow connectors are set up correctly. Also, work with your domain registrar to make sure the MX records for your domain are set up correctly.

For more information and additional tips to fix this issue, see this article.

I've seen this before but normally making sure sending verification is disabled fixes it, I can't see any obvious DNS issues either - if anyone can spot anything I'm missing here it would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Jamie

Associate
MS are 'playing around' with the dist groups at the moment and there seem to be a few issues, I am seeing similar.

Where the groups are you should be able to select the one in question and migrate to 'Office 365 Groups' this may resolve your issue.

Caporegime
You've written customerdomain.co.uk in one part of your message, and then customerdomain.com in your error message. I would say this issue is caused by whatever service the company has configured at the edge of their email service (Exchange Online Protection in this case) not knowing about the DL you are sending messages to - it's possible they have some strange routing configured to deliver messages between different Office 365 tenants and the one that is listed in the MX doesn't know about this DL.

Associate
OP
You've written customerdomain.co.uk in one part of your message, and then customerdomain.com in your error message. I would say this issue is caused by whatever service the company has configured at the edge of their email service (Exchange Online Protection in this case) not knowing about the DL you are sending messages to - it's possible they have some strange routing configured to deliver messages between different Office 365 tenants and the one that is listed in the MX doesn't know about this DL.

Sorry ignore the .com/.co.uk bits, there are two domains involved in the message, my company domain and the customer domain, just made typo's covering up their domains!

Associate
Here's my issue at present:

*We run 365 without AD sync*

User A has full access permissions on User B mailbox, it auto propagates in outlook, all OK.

User B leaves or changes roles, and user A no longer requires that mailbox access.

Removing the access, leaves the mailbox there with all the historic email - I have removed all permissions using powershell as recommended online and re-added the mailbox without the automapping - this makes no difference.

Back
Top Bottom