Near disaster!

Associate
Well Seti output was way down over the weekend, my dual Xeon box sprung a leak :eek: , a custom made block (for the lower Cpu (top one is swiftech)) decided to leak all over the graphics card and drip right through to the wireless network and sound cards filling the AGP and PCI slots up in the process, became very unstable then refused to even POST. With work commitments i couldnt look at it for 3 days but luckily i had used de ionised water and it was the coolant that caused the problems turning the contacts black on the AGP card & slot. Loads of paper towel, lighter fluid (UV Dye is very sticky) and a hairdrier later got it up running and stable again. Well that will teach me not to order the second swiftech waterblock, just going to do that now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldato
I've often thought about watercooling, but stuff like this just makes me too nervous to do it :(

Glad to hear everything's ok though :)

Out of interest, what're your average WU times & overall output per day on that system? Always fancied a dual Xeon cruncher; just never been able to justify it as a home PC over more cost-efficient parts :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Average WU time is about 4 every 1 hour 20 mins, its only on during the day, have to turn it *** at night coz the other half complains about the fans but it seems to do about 80-90 WU's a day on average.
It wasnt that expensive, Mobo was about £140 and the Cpu's were £150 each.

Man of Honour
Soldato
£150 each!? I paid £50 for the pair. Mind you mine are Prestonias but I don't think the extra cache makes up the difference.

I'm thinking of watercooling them myself. Do you like your Swiftech waterblocks, current situation included?

does anybody know the difference in waterblocks required for liquid cooling versus those used in phase change cooling? I've got a mini-fridge I'm wanting to hack. I yearn for a 250 MHz FSB.

250 MHz * 16 = 4000 MHz per Xeon. That would make for a 250% overclock. :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
BillytheImpaler said:
£150 each!? I paid £50 for the pair. Mind you mine are Prestonias but I don't think the extra cache makes up the difference.

I'm thinking of watercooling them myself. Do you like your Swiftech waterblocks, current situation included?

does anybody know the difference in waterblocks required for liquid cooling versus those used in phase change cooling? I've got a mini-fridge I'm wanting to hack. I yearn for a 250 MHz FSB.

250 MHz * 16 = 4000 MHz per Xeon. That would make for a 250% overclock. :D

These are the 800MHz Nocana's with i think 2Mb cache, came with big Copper intel active coolers, but they sound like jet turbines.

As for the swiftech kit, yes its very good, was originally on my P4 (now under the stairs with a mish mash of watercooling bits on it) so hence the one swiftech block and the one i made, but its very quiet, can't hear the pump at all, water block is great, nice and solid with a good bracket for holding it and it can be installed in 90deg increments to suit the mobo (no airlocks).
The differance between the 2 blocks is about 3-4c with the swifty running at 50c, but i have the system set for quiet not performance.

Not too sure on the Evap heads, but think its only the fact that they have a very small capillary pipe that feeds them (small as in the bore is the size of a hair) and the liquid then boils off in the expanding head but don't quote me on that.

Back
Top Bottom