Need a good wireless adapter

Soldato
At the moment I'm using a PCI linksys Wifi card. It's a 54Mb one but the signal strength on it is terrible in comparison to my housemate's laptop. Plus the aerial keeps falling out. I'm thinking this time I'll go for a USB adapter. Any specific brands that get good signal? At the moment I can only connect at about 18Mbps and that's not much good for transfering files across the network.

Soldato
OP
Ok I'll try this a different way. Is there any advantage to using a PCI wireless card over a USB adapter? It will be useful being able to easily use the adapter on other machines so that's why I'm considering USB.

Associate
18mbps is not that bad for 54G wireless!

Whats your signal quality like?

USB is convenient, uses a few more PC resources and may be a little less reliable than PCI, most peple never notice.

If you go for USB for a better signal try an adapter on the end of a lead and with an external aerial. LInksys one works OK.

Thumb USB adapters are on average harder to posistion for a good signal and ahve smaller aerials.

Soldato
OP
shine said:
errata is referring to the WUSB54GS have a look here
Ok thanks. Bit pricey though.

What about the cheap belkin ones? I know they come with a little stand and a cable, so it can be used as an upright aerial and you can move it around.

Soldato
I've never used the belkins so can't comment on them. You could look around other sites to see if you can get it cheaer or try an auction site.

Back
Top Bottom